View Poll Results: Do you think that David still has the chance to stay in F1?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 50.00%
  • No

5 41.67%
  • Maybe

1 8.33%

Thread: Irv: Dc Should Go Gracefully

Auckland, New Zealand & Balikpapan, Indonesia

Irv: Dc Should Go Gracefully

David Coulthard should admit his chance has gone and walk away from F1, according to Eddie Irvine.

The former Ferrari driver says he finds it “staggering” that Coulthard is still touting his services to teams – despite the fact that most top drives have already been filled.

Irvine told The Sun: “David never won the world title and never will. He always had a top car but was never quick enough.

“I find it staggering he is prepared to hawk himself around. He should realise his time in Formula 1 is over, walk away and concentrate on getting on with his life.”

Coulthard appears to be out of the running for the remaining drive at Williams, with Antonio Pizzonia, Nick Heidfeld and Anthony Davidson all seemingly ahead of him in the pecking order.

Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz said earlier this week that his team was not interested in the Scot, leaving just Jordan and Minardi with available drives.

Coulthard has admitted he would consider a testing role next year with a view to returning to a race seat in 2006.

Source: http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=31656
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty sad really... i'm afraid to say that i agree with irvine that this is the end of DC's F1 career.

I feel kinda sorry to see him desperately running around looking for an empty seat in any team. I dont know maybe there is a team that would take him as a driver for next year but i honestly think that this is the end for DC.
    "Rejection is better than regret. It's better to try and know you did your part, than to spend the rest of your days wishing you had tried"

First, it's DC's choice to how hard he wants to fight to stay in F1.

Irvine was a tosser who put screwing women and pissing around ahead of putting in the effort for the team.

Eddie was a great character on the circuit, but this sounds like the kind of thing some journo dragged out over a beer in a pub in Dublin

DC knows he is good at workign with the engineers at setting cars up. he clearly thinks that skill carries value and hopes for a slot which MAY lead him to being able to race. Why shoudl an F1 driver stop just because he lost a ride ? Few folks nowadays seem to remember how often the "great" drviers were in and out of teams, in and out of rides and the number of 'comebacks' made. Just odd to see it in todays sponsor-driven F1 !!

PS: The SUN is the WORST TABLOID in the UK press and we have some of the worst on the planet
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

"DC Should Go Gracefully". Like Irvine did, staggering about and mouthing off at everyone?

Just because Irvine was a talentless driver who was lucky enough to land a seat at Ferrari before being dumped after a few pitiful seasons at Jaguar, doesn't mean that he can tell others what to do.

DC is one of the most successful drivers in the field, and actually enjoys the driving in F1 more than the lifestyle.

Whereas employing Irvine would mean no more than paying for his bar tab, you would get some practical use out of DC.

I think he should do commentary with Brundle rather than tedious, serial-bore James Allen. Unusually for an F1 driver he actually has some personality, and quite a good sense of humour.
    Thanks for all the fish

Maybe Williams should look at him for a testing role; they look sure to pick Pizzonia as the 2nd driver and Marc Gene left for Ferrari
    I am the Stig

I am afraid the question has become biased because of "who said what to which news paper"
    If Jackie Stewart (just as an example) would have said the same to Autosport, the reactions could have been different. It is always sad to see real talents, like for instance Chris Amon or Michele Alboreto struggling at the end of their career with the lowest cars of the field. DC in a Minardi does not seem to look right. If he wants to continue that would be his decision but I would not think it a bad idea if he would stop or try some other types of motorsport. I don't think he will have to work for a living for the rest of his life anyway.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

True, Henk. It who's making this commentary about DC that brings most to DC's defense. Coming from Irvine, it's just sour grapes. He was not a good backup/support driver for MS and left, after failing to deliver at Jag was out. He just sounds a little jealous of the F1 'high life', and who better to pick on than DC, the old man.

How would he decide that he's no longer any good as only a handful of people ever win.

2004 STANDING: FINAL
    1 M Schumacher 148
    2 Barrichello 114
    3 Button 85
    4 Alonso 59
    5 Montoya 58
    6 Trulli 46
    7 Raikkonen 45
    8 Sato 34
    9 R Schumacher 24
    9 Coulthard 24
    11 Fisichella 22