Thread: DTM series coming to USA

DTM series coming to USA

Why are they strange bedfellows?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

The point of the Grand Am spear is the Daytona Prototype series...great racing but ugly cars that could attract more spectators if the cars were cool.

Introducing the DTM cars will inject the coolness factor into Grand Am and I can see the popularity of the DTM cars far surpassing that of the DP's. I don't know if they see it that way, but if I'm right you can't control it.

On the good side of the ledger, for Grand Am, it will create more competition for ALMS.

As the article says, DTM sought out Grand Am which I think they see as having the big marketing guns. Will they package it right? We'll see.

The Daytona Prototypes are up for a substantial redesigns, addressing the problems you stated.

DTM is also due a complete rule reshuffle in 2012, so perhaps the two sets of rules can get more aligned.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

If the pics of the DP redesign are any indication they will look better...too bad it's taken them since 2003 to do something about the styling.

I can see it now, debris cautions abound ...

I'm offically awed now. BMW rejoining was amazing enough, but this is too much for me. Looks like the next seasons will be much more interesting .
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Sry if this is a dumb question but i didn't read the whole article. Are the DTM cars gonna be a new class in Grand-Am, like out on the track at the same time w/ the DPs and GTs, or are they gonna have their own seperate race during Grand-Am weekend at the track?

Why couldn't they incorporate DTM into NASCAR, so that you know, NASCAR isn't so boring anymore?

I actually would enjoy NASCAR if they raced on real tracks more often. I remember channel flipping and one time they did a road race in Mexico I think once.

DTM v. NASCAR! That'd be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    Sry if this is a dumb question but i didn't read the whole article. Are the DTM cars gonna be a new class in Grand-Am, like out on the track at the same time w/ the DPs and GTs, or are they gonna have their own seperate race during Grand-Am weekend at the track?
    No, because they will blow the DP's away...they won't let that happen. They will be a separate support race.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Why couldn't they incorporate DTM into NASCAR, so that you know, NASCAR isn't so boring anymore?

I actually would enjoy NASCAR if they raced on real tracks more often. I remember channel flipping and one time they did a road race in Mexico I think once.

DTM v. NASCAR! That'd be interesting.
    Yeah that was the Nationwide series that ran there and was personally my fav. race of the season, it was more fun to watch than Sprint Cup at Infineon and Watkins Glen. They also run at Circuit du Gilles Villenueve in Montreal and this yr was their first yr at Road America. I was so disappointed i missed the latter

I think its actually their 2nd time at Road America....

Both the Montreal and Road America race were pretty good...

I don't know how the DTM 2013 rule will be like though so far it sounds like Super GT might adopt the rule book also...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I wonder where the US based DTM teams are going to pool their drivers? I can't imagine that that Audi, Merc and BMW want drivers who have limited experience in those expensive silhouettes.
    "Bad news, everyone. You're not good enough to go on your next mission." - Professor Farnsworth

According to Peter De Lorenzo it's a bunch of BS. He's very good at inside auto related news.

Fumes - Autoextremist.com ~ the bare-knuckled, unvarnished, high octane truth...

Well, I'm really looking forward to this. I hope the Seriers gets it's own programing.

Thread Information