Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The PC Discussion Thread

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    I use AVG AV and it works great except it's a resource hog
    As Matra said, no AV is perfect, but Norton is the better of all right now, although it doesn't do much work with adwares/spywares. I recommend Norton SystemWorks with a copy of Ad-Aware in case Norton detects adwares/spywares. You can also try Yahoo Anti-Spy which is free but does a much better job than some spyware removers.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine

You've got nod32krn running - old eSet protection. You need to clean it out.
    Using the configuartions screen (correctly translated ?)>software i can't uninstall it cos setup.xml is missing Then i went to it's folder on the HDD.Cant delete cos it is being used. ctrl-alt-del and killed of the programme in the processes tab.Still not able to delete.Maybe i should get it out of the registry first using regedit ?. It is a programme that comes with Hitman Pro by the way.

Looking at the HiJack output....
    slserver.exe -- carries the SDBOT worm. You need to run an anti-virus that sucessfully removes it OR do it manually ( if you goovle on slserve.exe removal you're bound to find instructions if yrou AV doesn't point you at it -- a quick plus ot the trend online is it gives you full instructions on their web pages )
    Done. I stopped this using task manager and then deleted it from it's folder (C;/windows/system32/slserv.exe) .Hijackthis coulndt find it on a new scan.

You got a 3G mobile ? If not, why is it running the LiMe service ? You should uninstall that if it's a hangover.
    Google on Philips HDD-1420 It's my free mp3-player from philips.Actually now listening to Radar Love on it,what a great song that is

Did you know your're running a p2p ?
    Almost EVERY p2p can be a hog dependant on the settings for it
    uninstall Shareaza.exe !
    Yes, it is the programme i use for fully illegal software and music

Hate to break the news to you, but that is dirty enough to perhaps be best to do a restore to a known good point for hte OS. You can try to get rid of each of these, but you're needing patience and experience ( or fast learning ) to get on top of them all.
    not doing too bad for now, am I ?
    THAT's why. Was this an update from old OS ?
    Bought as a XP machine.Upgraded it to a XP professional edition not too long ago from a disc bought on the tax payers cost (dad works for government)

RTFM for things like Norton are IMPORTANT
    Whats a RTFM ? Updates ?

-- ( cos they tell you to make sure you've removed any other av/firewall etc ). I think that's PART of where you've tripped up. Also your AV may be compromised by the wrom already present.
    Will reinstalling do the job ?

SIMPLEST thing to do now is to do a clean install
    IMPOSSIBLE I have used up about 7 cd/dvd drives in the past two years and our stockpile on the attic has now ran out I'm not able to play any cd/dvd,so no install from cd anymore for backups i have taken a tapestreamer from the archives on the attic.(amazingly good actually )

Thanks tons for your help. But still i have one small question (same as in earlier post). Can i just remove everything frm that prefetch list ?

cheers
    Last edited by drakkie; 05-15-2006 at 04:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearCrap
    As Matra said, no AV is perfect, but Norton is the better of all right now, although it doesn't do much work with adwares/spywares. I recommend Norton SystemWorks with a copy of Ad-Aware in case Norton detects adwares/spywares. You can also try Yahoo Anti-Spy which is free but does a much better job than some spyware removers.
    NAV 2005 with Hitmanpro does a great job i just had an astonishing amnt of errors a while ago. NAV notified of hazardous .tmp files... For everyone that it deleted a new came, wtf ... Anyway i used an external computer hooked up to this one, to clean all 9.7 MILLION .tmp files and it worked fine since...

PLUs my parents don't really want to get anything else..
    Last edited by drakkie; 05-15-2006 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kooper
    ADDED: As for your niece, what type of PC does she have? And more specifically, who manufactured it (usually the same as the MB chipset) & what type of USB drivers are installed on it at the moment?
    I will ask her as soon as she comes online on MSN.All i know is it is a Dell.

Just a bit of advice i had a problem with Windows Xp and it messed up everything any way just saying if somethings running slowly or something has an error then somethings Fd up with the OS.

My mums Acountancy firm has an IT guy so he came retrieved all my info and i reformated reinstalled windows and the guy said that its bes not to install all the updates except for the two service packs as the rest slows you down wayyyyyyy down so now i have everything reinstalled and it runs super no glitches so if ve got issues make a back up of everything or a partition with all the info you need reformat the windows partition with the Programs and reinstall everything.

Thats long and tedious having to redo everything but it will work for sure.

Thanks Matra for helping that time
    TVR, Heres to Peter wheeler and his last creationg of the Scamander.

Coventry seriously sucks....

WHAT was he on talkign about "all the updates" ?
    Some of those are driver updates and security updates and NOT included in SP1 or SP2. You miss those you may jave a whoel the size of Seattle to drive a firus through
    half baked, I think he's confused with the general recomendation to NOT upgrade a Win98/ME to XP and instead go for clean isntall.
    Take ALL the updates XP offers for the features you use ( ie ignore .NET unless you run .NET apps )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Well the guy sujested that all the updates arent exactly going to benefit you and the more add ons there the slower the system works.

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearCrap
    Yeah I use Ad-Aware also

Quote Originally Posted by matek
    Well the guy sujested that all the updates arent exactly going to benefit you and the more add ons there the slower the system works.
    Which is jsut STUPID.
    sorry, don't trust anything he says if he REALLY said that
    "add ons2 are 99% REPALCING modules not jsut adding on more.
    I think you've gopt a keyboard-swapping-technician from teh It dept there
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

hehe nah he fixed it but i duno any way im sure a reformat would help drakkie and it would help everything getting rid of all the crap and redoing all the parts needed. might be the long and tedious method but still would work.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    Google on Philips HDD-1420 It's my free mp3-player from philips.Actually now listening to Radar Love on it,what a great song that is
    ah right, I've only seen it wiht 3G mobiles ( it was liekly a Philips )
    Yes, it is the programme i use for fully illegal software and music
    ok. worth making sure it's not "sharing" when you dont' want it
    Whats a RTFM ? Updates ?
    Read The Flipping (!) Manual
    Will reinstalling do the job ?
    Only really if you were to CLEAN install it.
    Re-installing will always try to carry over your startup adn registry
    Thanks tons for your help. But still i have one small question (same as in earlier post). Can i just remove everything frm that prefetch list ?

cheers
    Missed that ... yes you can safely delete the full pre-fetch list. It will grow it again

Quote Originally Posted by matek
    hehe nah he fixed it but i duno any way im sure a reformat would help drakkie and it would help everything getting rid of all the crap and redoing all the parts needed. might be the long and tedious method but still would work.
    I am now saving to get a new cd/dvd drive/burner... might take a while to get that... Is there anything that is RELIABLe and cheap that anyone can recommend me ?

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    RTFM for things like Norton are IMPORTANT -- ( cos they tell you to make sure you've removed any other av/firewall etc ). I think that's PART of where you've tripped up. Also your AV may be compromised by the wrom already present.
    The NAV was installed as first programme after a full reset of the HDD.so the worm must have been afterwards...

I am now saving to get a new cd/dvd drive/burner... might take a while to get that... Is there anything that is RELIABLe and cheap that anyone can recommend me ?
    Yeah, buy a Liteon one. I got a 16x Dual Layer DVD Burner for $80AUD at a computer fair last year, so they're prolly even cheaper now. Full write stats:

DVD+R 16X
    DVD+R DL 4X
    DVD+RW Rewriting 8X
    DVD-R 16X
    DVD-RW Rewriting 6X
    DVD-ROM Read 16x
    CD-R 48X
    CD-RW 24X
    CD-ROM Read 48X

It's pretty good, I've had no drama's. Can't vouch for CD R/RW though, I use my Liteon 52x-32x-52x CDRW Burner for that, but it's been great as well
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Asus makes good ones For about $28

Thread Information