Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drifters?

Drifters?

Does anyone here drift? post if you do, i will check back soon to see if anyone drifts.

P.S. I am not talking about in the video games, i am talking hardcore full -on balls out the window slideways.

i participate in the occasional powerslid or two, im no hard core drifter and i certainly never stick my balls out the window let alone full on and sideways
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

What kind of car did you get sideways in?

I have done a little drifting in my dad's 89 camaro, but i won't risk doing that agian anytime soon (very scary)

94' RX-7 look at the "hey" post in the asian car forum to read more. most of the time if im feeling brave theres a long sweeping turn in the road close to my house that has a big dirt field on the outside of the turn so theres little concequence if i loose it mostly a need for a wash

in my younger days me and some friends took whatever we had out to a big dirt road and "drifted", more of e-brake pulling and hanging on than anything but we got pretty good at 180's and 360's

also i regularly go to glamis and, if you want to call it, "drift" in sandrails

ive also gotten sideways in a lifted 99 yukon on a cross street and a big V10 F350 extended cab an on-ramp

sounds like fun

Im a big fan of drifting , if you visit my site http://www.dtmproductions.net/photop...at=517&thumb=1 you will see loads of pics of me drifting my green bmw and also a silver bmw

<br>
    and this is what the tyres looked like afterwards

looks like you need some stiffer springs on the green bimmer, are you running the stockers? mabe its just you have a heavy ass car? cool nontheless if i was to get into serious drifting like that id need a seperate set of rims and tires hmmm...

Its actually got a 40mm drop , the ride is hard but when i see photo's like this im also suprised at the amount of body roll , im going for a coil over setup next and the car is seriously heavy cause it is packed with sound and loads and loads of sound deadening material everywhere

do you know the spring rates? and are you using the stock shocks? anti-sway bars?

IMHO a controlled four wheel drift will not result in tyre smoke, so I am not sure what the beamer guys are doing other than ruining tyres.

drifting without tire smoke? whenever you slide a car causeing the tires to loose traction there will be tire smoke, from the pics it looks like theres guys use their power to break the tires loose than exding the lateral limitations of the tire thru other means, this usually causes more tire smoke because there is a greater difference in ground speed and tire speed but it is still drifting, and a "four wheel drift" in my mind cant be controlled, if by four wheel you mean all four wheels sliding then there will be very little control mostly thru the trottle to be fully in control the fornt tires should have at least a little bit of grip to help controll your line and further controll how sideways you are (with some exeptions on awd cars since counter steer will pull the car out of the drift)

4 wheel drift cant be safely done unless you have a subaru or mitsubishi that has all wheel drive , when i was racing the green BMW its only a 318 so underpowered , so the ideal way to get it sideways is by getting up to max speed in 2nd gear , then change into 3rd and get a bit more speed , say to 100km/h then downchange into 2nd , the rear wheels will lock and then i hold the sideways drift with throttle and steering , the silver BMW was a 325 so it had the power , so i used handbrake to get the slide started then used all the power to keep the rear wheels spinning and hold the slide

Originally posted by megotmea7
    drifting without tire smoke? whenever you slide a car causeing the tires to loose traction there will be tire smoke, from the pics it looks like theres guys use their power to break the tires loose than exding the lateral limitations of the tire thru other means, this usually causes more tire smoke because there is a greater difference in ground speed and tire speed but it is still drifting, and a "four wheel drift" in my mind cant be controlled, if by four wheel you mean all four wheels sliding then there will be very little control mostly thru the trottle to be fully in control the fornt tires should have at least a little bit of grip to help controll your line and further controll how sideways you are (with some exeptions on awd cars since counter steer will pull the car out of the drift)
    Well, you may remember that previous generations of F1 cars could be perfectly put into a four-wheel drift (best example Maserati 250F) to obtain the highest speed through long curves. When you say that the a wheel is loosing traction and therefore causes the tyre to smoke, you loose speed and "drifting" becomes pointless. To say that a controlled 4-wheel drift does not exist will make the great Fangio turn around in his grave. You could still ask Sir Sterling Moss about this.

What these guys are actually doing is provoking excessive oversteer, which has nothing to with trying to reach the highest speed through curves but is just a way of sponsering Michelin or Goodyear.

you and i are talking about 2 different things, what your talking about is pushing a car to the edge most of the time youll hear the tire houling unde the load and not smoke but it still has a good deal of traction, im talking about exebition drifting which has nothing to do with lap times or corner speed, its about taking a corner as "stylishly" as you can getting sideways, making noise and smoke its uses are little beyond the fact of saying you did it and can do it. its more of a fun way to drive than a fast one keeping a car under control while sliding sideways in a corner is a challenge and after you acomplish it you are proud that you did. i may still be unshure about what your talking about so be patient

Thread Information