Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Torque wins

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    do you realise that they give a higher figure than pd/ft? It increases bragging potential....
    Yes but there is one slight problem with all of that "I want to learn the SI units but can't translate them to Imperial ones on the fly living in a nation that mostly use Imperial units": you're not getting understood. "Man this car's engine develops 335 kW and 650 Nm of torque!"

Then they just look at you like if you had two heads and you came from outer space wearing a giant canary suit with help swimmers on your arms.

don't say anything wrong about the USA, some people here don't like that....
    Somehow the opposite situation of the one we are dealing with right now feels strangely familiar...

Have we switched roles recently?
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    leaving in a nation
    are you planning on going elsewhere?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Somehow the opposite situation of the one we are dealing with right now feels strangely familiar...

Have we switched roles recently?
    have you not noticed how restrained I have been lately? (only when I have to look at pulp in another thread, the old me comes out again)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

have you not noticed how restrained I have been lately? (only when I have to look at pulp in another thread, the old me comes out again)
    I noticed you didn't post as much as usual, mostly only posting in the photo-related threads... posts that I'm pleased to ignore seeing as you're only bashing the use of Photoshop and whatnot
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

are you planning on going elsewhere?
    Thanks for quoting something I edited right after I posted and missing the point of my post
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

Yes but there is one slight problem with all of that "I want to learn the SI units but can't translate them to Imperial ones on the fly living in a nation that mostly use Imperial units": you're not getting understood. "Man this car's engine develops 335 kW and 650 Nm of torque!"

Then they just look at you like if you had two heads and you came from outer space wearing a giant canary suit with help swimmers on your arms.
    I have always been acustomed to torque in lbft and power in hp being about the same in engines of moderateish tune. There is something very inherently pleasing about a Corvette's engine making ~400hp and ~400lbft, I don't kno what it is. and any car that has 400 kw and 400 nm actually has, in my head, an utterly unbalanced 535hp and 300lbft.

I had one of those suits as a kid, wore it out tho.

I had to look this up but apparently .75nm/lbft
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I have always been acustomed to torque in lbft and power in hp being about the same in engines of moderateish tune. There is something very inherently pleasing about a Corvette's engine making ~400hp and ~400lbft, I don't kno what it is. and any car that has 400 kw and 400 nm actually has, in my head, an utterly unbalanced 535hp and 300lbft.

I had one of those suits as a kid, wore it out tho.

I had to look this up but apparently .75nm/lbft
    Yeah I know what you mean with the whole hp/lb-ft thingy, Sledgehammer also proved that's our mentality really in NA. I do struggle not to use horsepower and pound-foot as car-related units, and I admit I find myself being like "woah it has more torque than hp!" sometimes.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

I like a car with more torques than powers. This provides greatest accelerations and velocities.

I noticed you didn't post as much as usual, mostly only posting in the photo-related threads... posts that I'm pleased to ignore seeing as you're only bashing the use of Photoshop and whatnot
    the word "use" should be preceded by "excessive" and btw, I made an announcement in this thread that nobody apparently has picked up yet....
    Last edited by henk4; 09-23-2008 at 12:46 AM.

I like a car with more torques than powers. This provides greatest accelerations and velocities.
    there is a thread on this forum about torque and power (have to look it up), our (ex) member Hightower had very pronounced views about the uselessness of torque as a means to express the performance potential of a car.

the word "use" should be preceded by "excessive" and btw, I made an announcement in this thread that nobody apparently has picked up yet....
    Which one?
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

there is a thread on this forum about torque and power (have to look it up), our (ex) member Hightower had very pronounced views about the uselessness of torque as a means to express the performance potential of a car.
    Is that the one with him and Fleet arguing over mucslecar combustion chamber design? I read a bit of that one until it turned into the usual fleet vs ______ thread.

Is that the one with him and Fleet arguing over mucslecar combustion chamber design? I read a bit of that one until it turned into the usual fleet vs ______ thread.
    it is this one:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...se-torque.html

and btw, I made an announcement in this thread that nobody apparently has picked up yet....
    ... more torque coming?

I started to read it and I saw where it was going.

BTW Fiset, here's a better version of that poster:

Thread Information