View Poll Results: Do you smoke?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • No (non-smoker)

72 79.12%
  • Some, here and there (casual, weekly thing)

9 9.89%
  • Daily (I need like 1-4 everyday)

1 1.10%
  • Daily (I need more than 5 a day)

9 9.89%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Poll: Are UCP users smokers?

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek-i
    really? You give others the impression that you don't
    To be quite honest.. I don't think I give off any impression of smoking or not-smoking. But, it is something I do. I usually only smoke when I drink alcohol.. so I average about a pack of cigarettes (20 cigs) a week.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    ^ i figure, if it's okay for people to abuse smokers for smoking in public, it's okay for me to abuse fat people for eating/being fat in public.
    edit: that's how i got banned from a certain KFC
    Well that's not quite the same though. If you smoke a public people other people will suffer physically by inhaling some of the smoke as well, whereas eating greasy junk really only affects people eating. I do agree they might deserve abuse as well, but certainly not for the same reasons. It's paradoxal that the most anti-social of addictions is socially accepted.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I don't smoke and I hate smoking but I am probably a hypocrite because I love (and collect) cigarette packets and other tobacoo products such as cigars, roll your own tobacco etc... I have a collection of about 130 cigarette packets. I have approximately 40 or 50 cigarette brands in my collection) and about 8 cigars and 10 roll your own packets and about 10 packets of small cigars (mostly made in Holland ). I believe they are called cigarillos.
    Last edited by john14; 09-11-2006 at 02:54 AM.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    Well that's not quite the same though. If you smoke a public people other people will suffer physically by inhaling some of the smoke as well, whereas eating greasy junk really only affects people eating. I do agree they might deserve abuse as well, but certainly not for the same reasons. It's paradoxal that the most anti-social of addictions is socially accepted.

Wouter, perhaps his point is in regards to demonizing a particular group, and in that context it is clear societies often are directed towards marginalizing those with little or no power to change public perception.

In some developing countries tobacco companies are selling the same products, with the same marketing techniques, that appealed to most westerners a mere 2-3 decades ago. As to fatty foods? Well, I disagree:
    the argument for health costs rising is the same one originally given by anti smoking groups. I happen to think it's specious, but hey, look what happened with smoking. Fast food purveyors are already being set up for the next round of mass litigation... which won't help plumpers and heart disease victims, but will add some more dough to the accounts of big law firms.

It isn't a healthy habit, but everyone should read the WHO (World Health Organization) report before cracking on anyone that does smoke. A 30 year double blind study showed there isn't any data to support the "second hand" smoke argument. Everyone should also know that money in the coffers of a variety of lobbying groups that oppose smoking have gotten there through some unpleasant means. Like "cherry picking" data and suppressing full documentation to support their agenda and fundraising efforts. Not as repellent as some actions in the past by the tobacco companies, mind you, but just as predatory. The vast unwashed public is, after all, not too bright.
    Remember, in my country W was elected twice , and look how that worked out. It's the same anywhere oligarchies rule... which is most of the western world, and increasingly, the whole planet.

So: all you youngsters, don't smoke! But remember that some of us smokers don't approve of 100dB bass load from your pimp ricer, housed pants, or loud cellphone use in quiet places .

Yes, I smoke. My business, not anyone else's. My biggest beef, and a reason
    for restricting smoking to some degree? Most smokers seem to think the world is their ashtray , littering our cities, towns, waterways and more with NON degradeable butts. For Crissakes, FIELDSTRIP yer fags!
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

^ what CSL said - where do you draw the line of who to abuse and publicly shame? obese people are also a huge strain on the medical system too, in their own way* (not to mention rumours of airfares rising due to increased payloads on passenger flights.. )
    *and a damn sight more unsightly although yes, obesity doesn't affect bystanders, but what you eat directly affects the foetus during pregnancy - so pregnant women can't smoke but they can continue to eat junk?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

One wonders what damage is being done to our children (My generation) by the lack of nutrients they recieve because they'd prefer to eat a processed Meat-Extract burger than a chicken salad or something. It's quite possibly making us dumber....but hey, ready market for fast food companies!

Smoking was once considered a socially acceptable thing to do - even promoted as healthy in a blatantly obvious stab at the truth - but when behaviour and attitudes towards it changed, so did the regulations and social attitudes.

Fast food is predominantly consumed by those who are of a lower socio-economic background in large doses - some people, rather sadly, almost exclusively - and it's these people who, to be fair, aren't the brightest, who need regulation. It's working to the lowest common denominator and, as sad as it is, it's a proven method of behavioural control.

of course teaching the behaviour of acceptance of blame wouldn't go awry, but that is of course something western society will never fully accept.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    Driving cars causes exhaust that is bad for humans.
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Quote Originally Posted by blingbling
    Driving cars causes exhaust that is bad for humans.
    Breathing creates exhaust that is bad for humans. Shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    Breathing creates exhaust that is bad for humans. Shut up.
    If you had been following along, you would realize that what you just said simply strengthens my point.
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Does weed count?
    UPC's most heavy Bawls drinker. :D

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoChimp22
    Does weed count?
    If you smoke pure weed, no baccy, then you shouldn't (note use of the word 'shouldn't') get addicted. However, weed isn't exactly the healthiest thing to smoke.

Our bodis generally crave what is bad for us- fatty foods, alcohol, drugs, whatever makes us feel good but actually has an adverse effect on our health. It's worrying that we're such a self-destructive species.

What it boils down to is the little thing in the brain that wants to go higher and higher, and we'll do that, even at the cost of good health/life.

Thread Information