Thread: STP Gas Treatment

STP Gas Treatment

Anyone use this or famililar with? Buddy of mine said you should add it to your gas after once you've filled it up. It helps clean out the fuel system and some other crap. Is this stuff really any good and should you actually use it every time you fill up?

Injector cleaner is a good idea on an older car if it's injection
    STP do different treatments. (wel they do over here anyway)

What is WRONG with your car ?
    If nothing then an OCCASIONAL treatment will help keep the deposits off the injectors or carbs and the valves.
    BUT so will running a decent petrol (gas) --- OK you're in Texas so it's probably pretty sh!tty

I think your buddy's been taken in by the STP sales blurb
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Im reading on the stp site and they reccomend adding the Gas Treatment every fill-up and STP Fuel Injector & Carburetor Cleaner every other fill-up... Then they say use the Comeplete Fuel System Cleaner twice a year and the super concentrated fuel injector cleaner every oil change... lol, is this actually going to help the car out or is it just a money scheme?

Did you beleive GWB when he told you there were WMDs and we were all in imminent danger as they could be readied in 45minutes ?
    No ?
    Well why the hell are you listening to STP BS.

If you believed BOTH, then I'm sure STP stock holders love you !!!!

Let's see..... company A makes a product and company A recommends you use it all the time. Who wins ??

You're too old not to have learned healthy cynicism yet !!!!!!

I'll repeat with less syllables

Unless you have shitty fuel you dont' need to add cleaner.
    If you REALLY want to then add it once A YEAR is fine (and still overkill) !!

Save your money and buy decent fuel in teh first place and change the fuel filter as recommended (most folks forget).
    Better in the long run.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I thought it was fishy... Just wanted to get some other memebers opinions on it. I'm still checking into it and seeing if I can find any reviews on it from OTHER companies.

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    well i worked in the auto accessories department and i think they're useful for occasional use..but this every fill-up is useless..i think once or twice a year is good but you don't need anything more..
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    When I used to work at an auto parts store, I once bought two bottles of Prestone stuff because they were on sale and I figured it couldn't hurt. The first time I used it, I witnessed an improvement of roughly 3 mpg. I still haven't used the second bottle, but I'll probably use it some time this summer. I can't imagine what good it would do using it every tank though; I seem to recall hearing somewhere that using stuff like that too often can actually be bad for the engine. By the way, according to my boss at said auto parts store, Chevron makes the best fuel system cleaner, but it's also the most expensive, so he may have just been saying that for the purpose of boosting revenue. I honestly don't know if there's any significant difference between brands.
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Chevron include their additive in their fuel in the US ( or at least they USED to )
    Most modern cars dont' suffer from gas treatment use, BUT some older cars with rubber diaphragms in the carb/fueling side are best avoided as they can damage the rubber

Thread Information