Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Just 6 drivers at USA Grand Prix

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    [IMG]52.32% of respondents (5,754 votes) felt the governing body was responsible, compared to 39.47% who blamed Michelin.
    Yet another piece of evidence on how useless the public's point of view is. I hate publics polls.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

It's the FIA's fault that for once they followed the rules.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

[IMG]
    52.32% of respondents (5,754 votes) felt the governing body was responsible, compared to 39.47% who blamed Michelin.
    government or governing body what's the difference, they are always to blame (bloody liberals of course)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I really don't see why it is the actual teams who are facing all the charges from the FIA, surely it is Michelin who screwed everything up. By placing these charges on the teams the FIA seem to be suggesting that they did something wrong by following strict safety advice. Would the FIA really rather have seen the teams race despite being explicitly warned that doing so could result in serious and tragic consequences???

The FIA are sending out completely the wrong message. They have surely got to realise that Michelin are the root cause of all the problems on Sunday. However pi$$ed off the FIA may be with the seven teams for not racing they must realise that to do so under the circumastances would be reckless in the extreme, put their own safety and that of the marshals and crowd in jeopardy. They were simply left with no choice.

This action by the FIA will simply fuel the rampant conspiracy theories about their vendetta with the GPWC breakaway teams, which is the last thing the sport needs right now. The whole of F1 and the sport's governing body needs to take a long, hard look at itself and realise that the path they are on now is one that can only lead to its sorry demise. In seeking to punish the teams for something that was effectively taken out of their hands the FIA will only succeed in widening the already massive rift through the core of the sport. After a couple of years of poor racing and political back-biting that have brough the sport to its knees, and had fans switching off on their millions, 2005 looked like it was shaping up to be a classic return to form for the sport. Good racing and competitiveness has led to increasing viewing figures worldwide, and the public's focus has been on the sport not the politics of F1. Sadly the events at Indianapolis seem to have burst that bubble and reopened all the old wounds, and once again the sport is on a fast-track to self-destruction.

Sunday may well have seen a premonition for the future of F1 post 2008 when the GPWC may come into force: Ferrari racing purely against themselves.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    I really don't see why it is the actual teams who are facing all the charges from the FIA, surely it is Michelin who screwed everything up. By placing these charges on the teams the FIA seem to be suggesting that they did something wrong by following strict safety advice. Would the FIA really rather have seen the teams race despite being explicitly warned that doing so could result in serious and tragic consequences???

The FIA are sending out completely the wrong message. They have surely got to realise that Michelin are the root cause of all the problems on Sunday. However pi$$ed off the FIA may be with the seven teams for not racing they must realise that to do so under the circumastances would be reckless in the extreme, put their own safety and that of the marshals and crowd in jeopardy. They were simply left with no choice.

This action by the FIA will simply fuel the rampant conspiracy theories about their vendetta with the GPWC breakaway teams, which is the last thing the sport needs right now. The whole of F1 and the sport's governing body needs to take a long, hard look at itself and realise that the path they are on now is one that can only lead to its sorry demise. In seeking to punish the teams for something that was effectively taken out of their hands the FIA will only succeed in widening the already massive rift through the core of the sport. After a couple of years of poor racing and political back-biting that have brough the sport to its knees, and had fans switching off on their millions, 2005 looked like it was shaping up to be a classic return to form for the sport. Good racing and competitiveness has led to increasing viewing figures worldwide, and the public's focus has been on the sport not the politics of F1. Sadly the events at Indianapolis seem to have burst that bubble and reopened all the old wounds, and once again the sport is on a fast-track to self-destruction.

Sunday may well have seen a premonition for the future of F1 post 2008 when the GPWC may come into force: Ferrari racing purely against themselves.
    Disaggree here.

Michelin wanted to race with a chicane, indicating that at reduced speeds they could participate. The tyre was said to be unsafe at full load in turn 13.
    They also wanted to race with reduced speeds through turn 13 under the condition that B-cars would do the same. This indicates that the safety issue would have been removed if they adapted their speeds. As the B-cars rightly saw no reason why they had to slow down and the chicane was not an option the events emerged as we saw them. The teams could also have notified FIA and the organisers much more in advance what they were planning to do, also in the interest of the public that was left absolutely in the cold about what was about to happen.

Your comment is the essence of the conspiracy theory. Such posts just create the spirit in which these theories foster.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

A poll on the itv-f1 website received nearly 11,000 votes over a period of less than 36 hours.

A clear-cut majority pointed the finger at the FIA.

52.32% of respondents (5,754 votes) felt the governing body was responsible, compared to 39.47% who blamed Michelin.

The seven Michelin teams are to face possible sanctions from the FIA, but only 293 of the public – that’s a paltry 2.66% of the votes we received – reckon that the teams were at fault.

So it is right for the FIA to be accusing the teams, when most of the blame is pointed upon themselves?
    from all the critics that blame the FIA/Ferrari, they're blaming them for not allowing the chicanes to be put in. I dare to ask what other alternative have the Michelin team suggested (no not the safety car.. that's the most stupid suggestion i've ever heard)? From my post before and FIA's response to the chicane supporters, it's clear that the chicane is not a feasible solution.

The teams are responsible for pulling out the race because they did not follow the withdrawal procedure. If there's a safety concern that the team cannot participate, the team notify the FIA and accept the penalty ($25000 from what i read... not alot compare to F1 spendings). But instead, the Michelin teams pulled out after the warm up lap without any notification, thus creating confusion to the audiences. Therefore although it's Michelin's decision to stop the race, it's the teams' fault to pull out in a unprofessional boycott style without any notifications. Has there been any notifications, the FIA can either 1)cancel or postpone the race due to insufficient number of participants, 2)let the audience know what happened, then at least they know why there's only 6 cars.

i have just spent 30 minutes reading this thread, and i got sick by the time i got to [age 6 o so.

It is unbelievable how u people blame evryone:from ferrari to mosly to ecclestone to tony george.

It was ENTIRELY michelin's fault!!!! Cmon!!!

listen, they knew the rules from the begining of the season , they knew the track its up to them o make the apropriate tyres!Thats what they are paid for. If i was a team manager i would be SUPER pissed at michelin, when u pick a tyre manufacturer u expect it to be competent enough to make tyres for EVERY race.

why should anyone make any comprimise for those teams who equip Michelins?
    It is simply unbelievable that people wanted the rules to bent for michelin, change track or have evryone forfeit. Its michelin's imcompetence that is at the origin of all this.
    If toyota had a problem with theyr engines and Toyato and sauber could not compete ... would anyone make any compromise? of course not!
    if there was one tyre manufacturer and EVRYONE had tyre problems, then it would be another issue, but in the tyre wars today in F1, michelin lost the indianapolis round. and bridgstone won it.
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Quote Originally Posted by ZeTurbo
    It is unbelievable how u people blame evryone:from ferrari to mosly to ecclestone to tony george.

It was ENTIRELY michelin's fault!!!! Cmon!!!
    right , changing the track or changing tyres could appear unfair for Bridgestone and teams who came with good tyres a shame for Trulli

The Times
    The Australian
    Millions mooted for angry fans
    By Kevin Eason
    June 22, 2005

THE seven teams that boycotted the US Grand Prix could be forced to pay millions of dollars in compensation to the 120,000 fans who walked out of the Indianapolis Speedway shocked and angry with a sport that has been decried throughout the United States.

The repercussions of the explosion of disgust at a debacle of a race, in which only six cars took part, will ripple through F1 for months.

The punishments could start next week, when all seven teams and Michelin, their tyre supplier at the centre of the farce, will be called in front of the FIA, Formula One's governing body, on charges that amount to bringing the sport into disrepute.

Banning the teams is not an option, given that future races would be wrecked with 14 cars out of the sport, but Max Mosley, the FIA president, raised the possibility yesterday (AEST) that the teams could be forced to pay back the fans, many of whom had spent hundreds of dollars on travel and hotels, as well as an average $US100 ($130) a ticket to get into the speedway.

"I think Michelin and the seven teams should compensate the fans," Mosley said.

"What about the American fans? What about Formula One fans worldwide? Rather than boycott the race, the Michelin teams should have agreed to run at reduced speed.

"The rules would have been kept, they would have earned championship points and the fans would have had a race.

"As it is, by refusing to run, they have damaged themselves and the sport."

The charges laid by the FIA are as serious as any in the 56-year history of Formula One.

The teams and Michelin have been summoned to a hearing in Paris next Wednesday, when they will be accused under article 151c of the international sporting code.

The charges include: wrongfully refusing to allow cars to start the race; wrongfully refusing to allow cars to race, subject to a speed restriction in one corner which was safe for the tyres they had available; and combining to make a demonstration damaging to the image of Formula One by putting into the pits immediately before the start of the race.

At the heart of Monday's (AEST) mess were two sides unable to compromise.

The teams, saddled with tyres Michelin decided were unsafe, wanted measures to slow the race, particularly on the 290km/h banked final turn of the circuit.

They demanded a chicane that would slow cars into the turn and make the race safe.

But the FIA's race director, Charlie Whiting, said he could not add a chicane that had not been tested, nor could he penalise the three teams - including Ferrari - on Bridgestone tyres that had no performance problems.

As winner Michael Schumacher pointed out: "We had a tyre that was faster, but we knew it would not last the race. This was not our problem, it was their problem."

However, Formula One's inability to compromise and find a solution was laid hopelessly bare before a worldwide television audience.

Even the sport's promoter Bernie Ecclestone was powerless to prevent the boycott and he will have to answer to TV companies worldwide that pay into the $US910 million-a-year takings that go to his Formula One management company.

Now the courts again will decide at whom the finger of blame should be pointed while the fans wait to see how Formula One will pay them back for such disgraceful treatment.

[O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia
    The Times
    The Australian
    Millions mooted for angry fans
    By Kevin Eason
    June 22, 2005

THE seven teams that boycotted the US Grand Prix could be forced to pay millions of dollars in compensation to the 120,000 fans who walked out of the Indianapolis Speedway shocked and angry with a sport that has been decried throughout the United States.

The repercussions of the explosion of disgust at a debacle of a race, in which only six cars took part, will ripple through F1 for months.

The punishments could start next week, when all seven teams and Michelin, their tyre supplier at the centre of the farce, will be called in front of the FIA, Formula One's governing body, on charges that amount to bringing the sport into disrepute.

Banning the teams is not an option, given that future races would be wrecked with 14 cars out of the sport, but Max Mosley, the FIA president, raised the possibility yesterday (AEST) that the teams could be forced to pay back the fans, many of whom had spent hundreds of dollars on travel and hotels, as well as an average $US100 ($130) a ticket to get into the speedway.

"I think Michelin and the seven teams should compensate the fans," Mosley said.

"What about the American fans? What about Formula One fans worldwide? Rather than boycott the race, the Michelin teams should have agreed to run at reduced speed.

"The rules would have been kept, they would have earned championship points and the fans would have had a race.

"As it is, by refusing to run, they have damaged themselves and the sport."

The charges laid by the FIA are as serious as any in the 56-year history of Formula One.

The teams and Michelin have been summoned to a hearing in Paris next Wednesday, when they will be accused under article 151c of the international sporting code.

The charges include: wrongfully refusing to allow cars to start the race; wrongfully refusing to allow cars to race, subject to a speed restriction in one corner which was safe for the tyres they had available; and combining to make a demonstration damaging to the image of Formula One by putting into the pits immediately before the start of the race.

At the heart of Monday's (AEST) mess were two sides unable to compromise.

The teams, saddled with tyres Michelin decided were unsafe, wanted measures to slow the race, particularly on the 290km/h banked final turn of the circuit.

They demanded a chicane that would slow cars into the turn and make the race safe.

But the FIA's race director, Charlie Whiting, said he could not add a chicane that had not been tested, nor could he penalise the three teams - including Ferrari - on Bridgestone tyres that had no performance problems.

As winner Michael Schumacher pointed out: "We had a tyre that was faster, but we knew it would not last the race. This was not our problem, it was their problem."

However, Formula One's inability to compromise and find a solution was laid hopelessly bare before a worldwide television audience.

Even the sport's promoter Bernie Ecclestone was powerless to prevent the boycott and he will have to answer to TV companies worldwide that pay into the $US910 million-a-year takings that go to his Formula One management company.

Now the courts again will decide at whom the finger of blame should be pointed while the fans wait to see how Formula One will pay them back for such disgraceful treatment.
    confirmation that teams will be punished by the official F1 site.http://www.formula1.com/race/news/3212/740.html
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

the fia are just trying to ruin the sport! its like UEFA punishing all the teams competing because they wouldnt compete because of a risk of a hurricane or something..madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    lol I didn't want to say anything , but you did it

the fia are just trying to ruin the sport! its like UEFA punishing all the teams competing because they wouldnt compete because of a risk of a hurricane or something..madness.
    it's teams who create the spirit of their sports ...and maybe too football players who make the atmosphere on stadiums , I don't thinl it's FIA's fault they don't make Michelin's tyres

Champ Car officials have announced that tickets for Sunday's Formula 1 United States Grand Prix will be honored on June 26
    Lets just hope it doesn't rain

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock827
    as far as i know, main purpose of sport is not to entertain people. entertainment is a by-product. players go to a sport to give them their best, to win, to promote sportsmanship.
    That's an... unconventional view to say the least.

Sport is not to provide entertainment?

So... all of those people down at the park on a Sunday having a kick about with a football... they aren't doing that for their own entertainment?

And without hundreds of thousands of fans paying hundreds of dollars there wouldn't be any F1 racing at all.

And I think the fans are expecting "entertainment" for their money - hence the obvious displeasure when they missed out on Sunday.

if it means taking advantage of other teams mistakes, then so be it. that's sport.
    Not a very... aha... "sporting" view.

none of them gave any reason why they did not want to slow down at the corner.
    I think the issue is that you could have the Bridgestone teams running along the racing line at full speed, then there are the teams such as McLaren, who didn't really sound very concerned about the tyres on Saturday, running at 75%, but then teams and drivers not very confidant at 50%.

The corner is only so wide...

Quote Originally Posted by fia
    The charges given are that, according to the FIA, each team
    Eh?

So the Michelin teams are at fault?

How?

They can't run a car without tyres! What choice did they have?

I thought I was joking when I suggested that the FIA would start penalising teams for not having red cars. This seems very close to that.

What are the odds that this will come to pass:

Quote Originally Posted by grandprix.com
    The madness continues

We hear that the FIA has ordered Michelin to supply it with full details of all of its tyre failures in recent times and that the federation has instructed the French tyre maker that the information will be put in front of an independent technical expert to decide whether or not Michelin's F1 tyres are dangerous. We have not seen the letter from FIA President Max Mosley to Michelin but apparently it suggests that the outcome of this could be the exclusion of Michelin from the World Championship, which would leave seven teams with no tyres for future races.

As most of the cars are designed specifically for Michelin tyres this would mean that cars could not be run because of safety issues.
    Ferrari & Schumacher to win unlikely 8th driver's championship?

A touch cynical perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by grandprix.com
    The alternative is for the companies involved to begin to quit the F1 scene - which is quite possible now - which would be the start of an even bigger disaster for the sport.
    GPWC anybody?
    Thanks for all the fish

Thread Information