Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bmw E30

Bmw E30

I know there is allready a thread about the E30 M3, but I hope to get more pics from the BMW E30 316 to M3 EVO III with this thread, they don't have to be high res, just good pictures are fine. Even pic's of your own E30.

And I also want to see these 500 pictures

I've attached a few to start.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How reliable are E30s? I heard they're really good.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    How reliable are E30s? I heard they're really good.
    If you find a decent one with a M10 or M20 engine, they are very reliable. The M40 engine is a bit less reliable, but the M10 and M20 is built to last.

You just look after her, and take care of them and they will keep you happy. Just allways warm up the engine before flooring it. And they can be a bit tricky on wet roads.

But I just love them, the type II is very quite at low rpm, and give's a pleasent tune when revving it (with the M20 engine). Standard, they do have a bit of a soft suspension.

Here you can notice the soft suspension

Now whats the diffrerence between the M10, M20 and M40 engines?

I've an '85 323i, and I can confirm the reliability. She's done over 340,000kms and still going strong. Burns a little oil, but is totally reliable. The back end likes to snap out in a tight corner in the wet easily, but the rear tyres are crappy. I think I've an old picture of her somewhere... Ahh yes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah i was looking for reliable cars for my 1st car and was thinking mabye E30 or E36 BMW 3 Series. Are the E36's as reliable as the E30's?

This is 1337.

Hi there,...the E30 is a really special car...(I know a little biased..)but from the centre console which is angled towards the driver to the feedback you get thru the steering wheel you can sense that this is a driver's car....I've owned a 323i Coupe, a 325i & later had a turbo fitted to it. Now I'm currently driving a 320i, not the fastest but it gives a really nice sound, the only E30 who's engine, which with a nice branch & s/s exhaust comes closest to the E36's //M3's raspy metal exhaust note....busy with a NOS install at the mo, so it should be able to silence a few critics...The E30 is not the fastest car, it can also catch you out...beleive me I had to replace a few rims & struts in my time (from the tail spinning out) then it's Hello Mr. Pavement....fancy meeting you here...lol
    here are a few pics of Christine....the 325i which caused my wife to leave me...lol damn I loved that car....lol
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ead.php?t=8570
    Fo' Shizzle ...My Nizzle

Quote Originally Posted by pimento
    I've an '85 323i, and I can confirm the reliability. She's done over 340,000kms and still going strong. Burns a little oil, but is totally reliable. The back end likes to snap out in a tight corner in the wet easily, but the rear tyres are crappy. I think I've an old picture of her somewhere... Ahh yes.
    The exact same colour as my Current Car - an '86 318i. I got the Pov engine, I know

Very reliable motor car - starts first time and everything. although she's looking a little worse for wear she'll keep going for a while yet I imagine....
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

They're a tough bodyshell, the swiss guy I take her to for any major work swears by them, reckons they're the best model BMW ever made. And anyway, if you have the povvo model.. an excuse for a 4.0 V8 engine swap! 340i anyone?

a buddy of mine transplanted his dad's 535i engine into the his E30...he too fitted a turbo at a later stage....hell that 335i turbo's tail would break loose if he snapped changed into 3rd gear....here's a guy with a 345i as well....monstrous I tell you....
    Fo' Shizzle ...My Nizzle

someone make a 357i.. please...
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by pimento
    They're a tough bodyshell, the swiss guy I take her to for any major work swears by them, reckons they're the best model BMW ever made. And anyway, if you have the povvo model.. an excuse for a 4.0 V8 engine swap! 340i anyone?
    Waaay Ahead of you - a worn camshaft and ticking valve timing indicates it might be time to trade the old unit in.

Although I highly doubt my mother would be keen on a 4.0 V8 going in there (I'm not sure it'd fit anyway - measurements?)

However the major obstacle is the complete and utter lack of funds I currently have - any spare money will no doubt be directed to the impending Rego.....

Good tip for high-school students - when your parents let you lend their car without cost (Save for Fuel) STICK TO IT! it's a good deal
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    Now whats the diffrerence between the M10, M20 and M40 engines?
    M10 was only build in in the first 316's, it's a 4cilinder carbu engine that is real tuff. To wreck this engine, you really got to do a lot. The F1 got in those days the same bloks (M12, M13) and got 1280bhp out of it. Offcourse, it didn't last long then

M40 is the 4 cilinder with injection, but they do have some issues. Don't know how to put it in english, but the valvetrain? are not that good.

M20 is the small six, comes in 2.0, 2.3 and 2.5l, there was also a 2.7eta engine. BMW even build a 333i, but that was to compete in races.

The M20 is probably the best engine. Good noice, rather good fuel consumption (enough fun for the fuel it uses) and if you drive normaly, you almost don't hear it. I bought the 2.0 version, because taxes and insurance really are something strange in belgium. You're not allowed to tune your car at all, but if I put in a 2.5l, nobody will notice...

I'm planning to build a 335i (M30B35 engine 218bhp), or a 332i (S52 from E36 M3 3.2 321bhp) or a 340i (V8 from the 540i E39 286bhp), wich ever engine I get my hands on, and wich I can afford easily. This is for my old E30, cause I don't need to let the car been checked up, once it's older then 25years and have fitted oldtimer plates.

Is there anybody with some info about the E30 cage? Cause I like to now how much bhp and torque it could take without making it stronger.

This saturday I drove a E30 320is, wich is a special M version of the M with only 2.0lts instead of the 2.3. It was due to tax issues in Portugal an Spain. The car is still fabulous and extremely agile, even compared with modern cars. That engine is a great screamer, but the transmission is what impresses most. The ZF dog-leg gearbox, and the LSD are fabulous. It's almost hard to avoid sideways action. I want one!
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Thread Information