ISO 100
    Aperture f/14
    Shutter 1/50

basman007
    Convertible Bond Car
    28/9
    Canon 40D + 70-200 2.8 IS
    @ 70 mm - 1/80 - F14 - ISO 100

i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

cmcpokey
    plymouth
    carmel, ca
    20 October 2008
    d80

Great turnout in both competitions this week, good luck everyone!

As an aside, TehRacer, does your sister have an account here? I've put the shot in the voting regardless, however if it does win the credited winner will be the entrant with the second most votes (or your sister, assuming she does have an account). This is because the entered photo must be taken by the entrant.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

No she doesn't have an account but it's O.K. she just wanted me to enter one for her.
    " Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
    - Earnest Hemingway

Paul:
    As someone who has spent much time grinding ti, those sparks seem much to orange to come from it. Ti sparks are very pure white, orange is more likely due to 4130 steel. But a cool picture nonetheless.

Beautiful PHOTOGRAPH. I realize people here vote for pictures... but THIS is a photograph.

Very well done!
    www.johnthawley.com / www.automotivephoto.net

Quote Originally Posted by John Thawley View Post
    Beautiful PHOTOGRAPH. I realize people here vote for pictures... but THIS is a photograph.

Very well done!
    Thank you for the compliment, John

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Paul:
    As someone who has spent much time grinding ti, those sparks seem much to orange to come from it. Ti sparks are very pure white, orange is more likely due to 4130 steel. But a cool picture nonetheless.
    Yes your right! work with many materials being an enginner myself , but hardly ever Titanium, and i know it showers white sparks , just thought ahh must be ti being its so light and tough

but yea mild steel of some sort i guess..
    www.britishmods.co.uk

They're all far too epic to choose a single one.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by John Thawley View Post

Very well done!
    I have to agree with you JT. I sometimes get the feeling people vote for the cars inside the photograph rather than voting for the photographs photographic quality. I too sometimes am guilty of this sin unfortunately!

I think for this reason it might be a good idea if they allow entries like this one basman took to be entered in the general photography comp. What do you guys think? Is there some way to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by superwaxer View Post
    I have to agree with you JT. I sometimes get the feeling people vote for the cars inside the photograph rather than voting for the photographs photographic quality. I too sometimes am guilty of this sin unfortunately!

I think for this reason it might be a good idea if they allow entries like this one basman took to be entered in the general photography comp. What do you guys think? Is there some way to do that?
    Why.... why dumb down the process? The title of this little get together is PHOTOGRAPHY.

Sadly, and far too often, voting patterns indicate people haven't the slightest notion of what constitutes a good photograph.

By all means, it should included good content. That's a given. But as you say, often the choice is based soley on "hey that's a cool car." ... and God forbid if there was ever 10 entires with flames. What on earth would we do?

I think it's unfortunate that there is not a desire to use this format to LEARN. I mean, serously, there are talented people posting on this board and NO ONE ever asks them a serious photographic question.

I mentioned to Zeppelin the other day... Why the public voting? Turn it off. And stop using people's names in the voting... use the image title. And not letting people vote for themselves is a farse. If you simply DON'T VOTE, you've in fact, voted for yourself. Think about it.

Anyway... this little board and the contests could help a lot of people learn and get better. Maybe I'm a bit idealistic, though. Maybe people don't want to learn. Maybe they just like flames. LOL

JT
    www.johnthawley.com / www.automotivephoto.net

People here are not expert photographers or art critics. They are people who vote for what they like - and even if you say don't vote for the car it is hard to ignore this. I quite like basman's photo actually.

This makes me annoyed:

"Sadly, and far too often, voting patterns indicate people haven't the slightest notion of what constitutes a good photograph."

Yes they do - they like what they like and vote accordingly. Do the cars influence the votes? Quite likely, but I think that it's almost insulting and elitist to infer people don't know what constitutes a good photograph - art is subjective. The idea that the artists and critics have a better eye for what is good is in my eyes ridiculous. It is pretty sad that I am even involving myself in this discussion. This is a near-meaningless supposedly fun competition that has caused people to get bothered.

Who cares who wins? Is this grade 3? If you enter a competition and know how the voting works, and then complain about how the votes go I mean... I just don't know what to say. JT, what you said to basman was insulting. He even said thank you for the compliment - could you not have gone about it in a better way with more civility? I know the internet is in short supply of this virtue, though, so maybe I am expecting too much.

It's a shame really - I like these threads because you get to see some really nice pictures. I used to vote but then realised it is kinda silly - and why does it need to be a competition at all? I guess this will draw more entries. I would rather just a thread where people post their pictures but maybe this would die quickly whereas a weekly competition would live on.

I have to agree with Kitdy, JT.
    You may be a professional photographer, but these are essentialy amateur photograhpy competitions.
    I think people have used these threads to become better photographers, but at the same time it for fun.
    EDIT:People take these threads seriously enogh not to post pictures of themselves drunk ,and doing stupid sh*t , be happy about that.
    I think it is possible for you to offer advice without speaking down to the other shutterbugs.
    Last edited by f6fhellcat13; 11-14-2008 at 12:45 AM.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I just don't know what to say. JT, what you said to basman was insulting. He even said thank you for the compliment - could you not have gone about it in a better way with more civility? I know the internet is in short supply of this virtue, though, so maybe I am expecting too much.
    I think you 100% misunderstood what John was saying, not everything on these boards is meant in a sarcastic way....

EDIT: You may also note that JT actually voted for Basman's picture.....
    Last edited by henk4; 11-14-2008 at 12:28 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I think you 100% misunderstood what John was saying, not everything on these boards is meant in a sarcastic way....
    It's worse if he is not being sarcastic, because that would mean he is being rather condescending toward most all the participants in the photo comps.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    It's worse if he is not being sarcastic, because that would mean he is being rather condescending toward most all the participants in the photo comps.
    I think what he is trying to explain is that there is a difference between a good photograph and a good picture. We have had many discussions before about this and you cannot deny that pictures showing a distinct type of "supercar" will attract more votes than a photograph of a Ford Pinto.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information