Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap, Mid engine, Rear Wheel Drive who's the best

While on the subject the rear engined VW beetle was famous for catching fire used to have a short out in the battery and apprently once (urban myth) it got to a certian point and the heads that where made of magnesium would go up and you had to wait untill it stopped lol.

And nota John Bowe (ex touring car champion and bathurst winner for those not up to speed on ATCC) in an interview from street machine said he one had a moment of passion with a young lady interupted by his beetle catching fire.

Your not being entierly far most old rear engined cars caught fire one way or another (and suprisngly some still do) wether its from heat or another problem
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

For some reason your post reminds me of this:

Only american-history nerds/ gearheads will get this, but I think it's funny so what the hell.
    Moar info is here: The Source of all human knowledge
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Well theres another urban ledgand that says that volkwagen beetles where built to float by the odr of a certian adolf hitler and how well was proven by casting out Dr Porsche' son in it!
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500 View Post
    While on the subject the rear engined VW beetle was famous for catching fire used to have a short out in the battery and apprently once (urban myth) it got to a certian point and the heads that where made of magnesium would go up and you had to wait untill it stopped lol.
    Speaking of Beetles I once owned a 1955 'Oval' and recall that VW thoughtfully positioned its fusebox directly atop the fuel tank, which virtually guarranteed a fire if the swing axles bit you and your Beetle turned turtle, if you know what I mean

Btw my Dakdak was the absolute basic 32hp model which didn't have a fuel gauge, or even the reserve tank - just a VW dipstick for luck

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Speaking of Beetles I once owned a 1955 'Oval' and recall that VW thoughtfully positioned its fusebox directly atop the fuel tank, which virtually guarranteed a fire if the swing axles bit you and your Beetle turned turtle, if you know what I mean

Btw my Dakdak was the absolute basic 32hp model which didn't have a fuel gauge, or even the reserve tank - just a VW dipstick for luck
    Correct me if im wrong but your talking about rolling it? Because nearly every accident i have ever heard of involving one ended up with the beetle on its lid.

Dak Dak's now theres the answer for a current problem we need a few more of them around the place! then we can have dak dak chase scenes in movies like Ong Bak!

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500 View Post
    Correct me if im wrong but your talking about rolling it? Because nearly every accident i have ever heard of involving one ended up with the beetle on its lid.
    Indeed, and I recall checking out all the old Veedubs - more than 30 of them - in this big wrecking yard (might have been Pharley's) and it seemed like fully 80% of them had fallen victim to rollover & fire!

But they were a great car. The first small car that could dependably handle the worst of Oz conditions and come out smiling. Sadly the've now all but evaporated from our roads, but you used to see (and hear) them absolutely everywhere

Remember 'that' unmistakable sound ..?

dakdakdkaaadakdak ... POP ... daackdackdaaaaack

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Indeed, and I recall checking out all the old Veedubs - more than 30 of them - in this big wrecking yard (might have been Pharley's) and it seemed like fully 80% of them had fallen victim to rollover & fire!

But they were a great car. The first small car that could dependably handle the worst of Oz conditions and come out smiling. Sadly the've now all but evaporated from our roads, but you used to see (and hear) them absolutely everywhere

Remember 'that' unmistakable sound ..?

dakdakdkaaadakdak ... POP ... daackdackdaaaaack
    hahaha yes... around uni there's probably half a dozen, i still see them a fair bit but not exactly 'daily' or commonly these days
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Lolz, my Suby went dak dak dak, that's how ****ed it was. A mate has a Kombi wagon that he loves, running a 2-litre twin carb tuned for 98RON. Goes alright...

DAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDA KDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAK!
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

For some odd reason my father used to love driving his mothers beetle...the reason why I say strange is because he hates porsches and at the time all a porsche was then was a 6 cylender beetle that attempted to kill its driver lol.

This is also tempting me to find an old issue of street machine that had an article written by kevin bartlette about a guy who made a turbo set up and a custom air to water intercooler (which apprently created a trial of steam and needed to be filled up regularly apprently) who found out the dangers of a vee dubs handeling on the edge and how prone they where to roll over and ended up in an old ladys rose bush.

Great cars lots of fond memorys I hear from people, but I think im glad to say I have not and probably never will own one

Classy does it blow up soon after that point?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Lolz, my Suby went dak dak dak, that's how ****ed it was. A mate has a Kombi wagon that he loves, running a 2-litre twin carb tuned for 98RON. Goes alright...

DAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDA KDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAKDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAK!
    does it look like this engine? reason i ask is the guy said it was 1.92 or 2L or something, twin carb as you can see, wondering if it was same engine (sounded pretty damn good)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

No idea, have never seen the engine.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by megotmea7 View Post
    well the 3rd gen RX-7 is mid-engined but not in the general sense and when you can ick one up for ~15k US its a pretty ceap "mid-engine", rear wheel drive car
    Im 99% sure that the 3rd gen rx-7 (fd) weren't mid engined.

i dont know if that was a joke because the only mid engined mazdas i know were the carol 360 and the 787b racecar
    There's no replacement for displacement (lol)

Quote Originally Posted by ForcedInd26 View Post
    Im 99% sure that the 3rd gen rx-7 (fd) weren't mid engined.

i dont know if that was a joke because the only mid engined mazdas i know were the carol 360 and the 787b racecar
    He probably meant mid engined as in the engine behind the front axle.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

That's because you should consider the position of the gearbox as well.
    Hint: a Murcielago isn't a mid engined car.

uhm, really? and so what?
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

well if thats the case there are a lot of cars that would be considered a mid engined car. I may be new to this forum but i know what you're saying.

then why wouldn't the 1st and 2nd generation rx's be considered the fc and fd both shared a 13b powerplant.

what about toyota forward control vans? lol
    There's no replacement for displacement (lol)

Thread Information