Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aston Martin DBS V12 Volante 2009-

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    The new California is dying to look that good.
    You're right. Honestly, I don't know what's wrong with Ferraris lately. It'll turn my head because of the badge and the price, not because it looks good. I can say that for every one of the models they make now. And maybe the exhaust note too, but that's about it.

On the topic of the California, were any other GTAians pissed that there wasn't one at the CIAS?

That was a huge ripoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    On the topic of the California, were any other GTAians pissed that there wasn't one at the CIAS?

That was a huge ripoff.
    Yeah, I know how you feel. I have no idea why there was no 599 GTB last year at the NYIAS. I felt really pissed. And it's not like the ticket is cheap either. Instead, there was only a F430. Just one Ferrari, at the NY Auto Show! Lamborghini was in full force, as they usually were, with models and all.

I do feel that the booths have been cut down in terms of giveaways. Posters aren't handed out dime a dozen now. Don't you feel that too? In 2002, I got so many posters I couldn't carry them all! Now I can't even find posters! My room is so behind in terms of posters! I have the Audi R8 from 2001, which only won 3 times back then.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    You're right. Honestly, I don't know what's wrong with Ferraris lately. It'll turn my head because of the badge and the price, not because it looks good. I can say that for every one of the models they make now. And maybe the exhaust note too, but that's about it.
    that's because they hired Citroen's former designer.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Yeah, I know how you feel. I have no idea why there was no 599 GTB last year at the NYIAS. I felt really pissed. And it's not like the ticket is cheap either. Instead, there was only a F430. Just one Ferrari, at the NY Auto Show! Lamborghini was in full force, as they usually were, with models and all.

I do feel that the booths have been cut down in terms of giveaways. Posters aren't handed out dime a dozen now. Don't you feel that too? In 2002, I got so many posters I couldn't carry them all! Now I can't even find posters! My room is so behind in terms of posters! I have the Audi R8 from 2001, which only won 3 times back then.
    Ferrari wasn't officially present at that event, unfortunately.
    I agree on the second part though, but it something that started about 10 years ago I would say. too bad.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    that's because they hired Citroen's former designer.
    what about frank stephenson? he is a fantastic designer. i dont see how he can let what it happening go on.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    what about frank stephenson? he is a fantastic designer. i dont see how he can let what it happening go on.
    I was slightly sarcastic, and besides, I don't completely dislike the present look of Ferraris, even if I have quite some critics about it, first of all the way too aggressive and heavy look of the F430.

I was slightly sarcastic, and besides, I don't completely dislike the present look of Ferraris, even if I have quite some critics about it, first of all the way too aggressive and heavy look of the F430.
    i think that on the whole, ferrari design is is very good. they have a completely cohesive look that most manufacturers couldnt pull off. i actually prefer the very aggressive look of the 430, especially the scuderia, to the soft lines of the 360.

bringing it back sort on topic, the one brand that has more cohesion is Aston. While some people are seemingly annoyed that they have essentially one design (that has gone back to the 50s), if you have a perfect design, why change it? with the dbs volante they are just covering any possible nice they have. and if it dosnt take significantly more development money, since you already have the engine, the body work, and the chassis, then it makes perfect sense. at least they are giving it the balls behind the face, instead of offering an appearance pack on the db9.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Never mind the F430, the real concern is the fact the new California is arguably even uglier, and unquestionably shares the baroque look. And therefore is a taste of future Ferraris to come.

-=+ FTW
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

i think that on the whole, ferrari design is is very good. they have a completely cohesive look that most manufacturers couldnt pull off. i actually prefer the very aggressive look of the 430, especially the scuderia, to the soft lines of the 360.

bringing it back sort on topic, the one brand that has more cohesion is Aston. While some people are seemingly annoyed that they have essentially one design (that has gone back to the 50s), if you have a perfect design, why change it? with the dbs volante they are just covering any possible nice they have. and if it dosnt take significantly more development money, since you already have the engine, the body work, and the chassis, then it makes perfect sense. at least they are giving it the balls behind the face, instead of offering an appearance pack on the db9.
    I completely agree on both points.
    also, AM is giving us more candies than a lot of other auto/exotic makers, but still we argue that.
    I wouldn't be equally fine with just the DB9 and the V8, as we used to be before those cars were released, while now I can count on at least a new release every year, being sure it won't dilute the brand (ok, the Lagonda experiment is still on the "let's see what it is" status), slightly increasing the overall number of sold cars per year, but creating good profits using what they already have laying around.
    oh, I found a spare V12 here, what to do...ehi, let's drop it in the smaller car, the Vantage!!!
    I can't see the problem, really, even if the style isn-t as elegant as the base is. don't tell me a Cobra looks really good.

Quote Originally Posted by teatako View Post
    Never mind the F430, the real concern is the fact the new California is arguably even uglier, and unquestionably shares the baroque look. And therefore is a taste of future Ferraris to come.

-=+ FTW
    actually, I like the California, apart from the exhausts and the lower rear lights.
    and being baroque isn't a real problem, I could like something baroque, my problem with the F430 is being simply tacky, but I also agree the soft and undefined 360 could have been worst at the time (I hated).
    I would still take an F355 over them in a snap...actually, I would enter the personalization program and ask for a 355 mody on a 430 Scuderia chassis.
    just kidding.
    Last edited by LeonOfTheDead; 02-26-2009 at 09:08 AM.

It's not cohesive, it's the same.

Which would be fine if they were offering just one car, as they used to, but now that they offer several it just loooks repetitive and unoriginal.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It's not cohesive, it's the same.

Which would be fine if they were offering just one car, as they used to, but now that they offer several it just loooks repetitive and unoriginal.
    as yuo said, it's, in the end, just one car:

main model, the DB9
    open top model, the DB9 Volante
    short wheel base model and its open top version, Vantage family
    doped swb model, the V12 Vantage
    faster main model, DBS family.
    think of it as the old "250" series from Ferrari.

as yuo said, it's, in the end, just one car:

main model, the DB9
    open top model, the DB9 Volante
    short wheel base model and its open top version, Vantage family
    doped swb model, the V12 Vantage
    faster main model, DBS family.
    think of it as the old "250" series from Ferrari.
    But I Aston pretends us to believe that they're all different models.

Some even have different engines, unlike the 250's.
    Last edited by Ferrer; 02-27-2009 at 10:46 AM.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Some even have different engines, unlike the 250's.
    even Ferrari would say a GT Lusso or GTE is no way like a SWB Berlinetta.
    on the other hand, they were saying a 250 LM was the evolution of the 250 GTO...
    so, what with VAG pretending to sell four different brands, when they are actually just only one?
    aware of the differences between a DB9 and an Exeo, the proportions are also very different, 7.000 cars per year, against some millions.

Aren't they different models? They are in my eyes.

Do they have different chassis? Different engines? Yes. they look quite similar but I like the family. Right now really, you can only get a DB9 and Vantage. The DBS is a jumped up DB9 just like a Carrera S is a 911 - still the same car pretty much.

I understand your problem but for a car maker as small as Aston that makes cars that good looking and different enough, I don't see the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Aren't they different models? They are in my eyes.

Do they have different chassis? Different engines? Yes. they look quite similar but I like the family. Right now really, you can only get a DB9 and Vantage. The DBS is a jumped up DB9 just like a Carrera S is a 911 - still the same car pretty much.

I understand your problem but for a car maker as small as Aston that makes cars that good looking and different enough, I don't see the problem.
    I'm pretty sure they're the same chassis throughout the lineup. It's the DB9 chassis that got shortened in the V8 Vantage and lengthened for the DBS.

Thread Information