Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ING Renault F1 Team announces 2008 driver line-up

ING Renault F1 Team announces 2008 driver line-up

The ING Renault F1 Team is pleased to announce a competitive driver duo for the 2008 Formula 1 season. Next year, double world champion Fernando Alonso will drive alongside Brazilian rookie Nelson Piquet Jr. They will be supported by Frenchman Romain Grosjean, reigning 2007 F3 Euroseries Champion and a product of Renault’s driver development scheme, in the role of test driver.

“Fernando and Nelsinho will form one of the most exciting driver line up of 2008,” commented Renault F1 Team Managing Director Flavio Briatore. “We are delighted to be welcoming Fernando back home to the team where he enjoyed his greatest success. His abilities as a driver and a team leader are well known, and we look forward to forging another strong partnership. What’s more, he knows the team well and how we operate; he will feel comfortable straight away in this environment. Nelsinho is one of the most promising young talents in motorsport. After his success in GP2, he has spent a year learning the ropes as our test driver and getting to know the team ; he is now ready to step up to the next level.”

ING Renault F1 Team President Bernard Rey commented: “The entire team has been working flat out over the past months to return to the front of the field, and a top-line driver line-up is essential to achieving our targets. Our recent technology investments, the return of Fernando Alonso to the team, and the promotion of Nelsinho Piquet, all signal our intent to return to winning ways next year. Renault is also delighted to welcome a talented, young Frenchman to the team as test driver.”

Fernando Alonso rejoins the Renault F1 Team after spending the 2007 season at McLaren-Mercedes. Alonso drove for the Renault F1 Team between 2003 and 2006, during which time he scored 15 Grand Prix victories and won two world championships, in 2005 and 2006. He will play a key role in the team’s efforts to return to the front of the field in 2008.

“I am delighted to be returning to Renault,” commented the 26 year-old Spaniard. “This is the team where I grew up as a driver in Formula 1. Now it is time for us to begin a new chapter together. I am very excited about working with this great team once more, and confident that together we can move back to the front of the field. Renault had a difficult year in 2007, but I know that the team has real strength in depth. I am confident they can produce a fast and competitive car and be back at the top in 2008.”

Nelson Piquet Jr will complete the team’s race driver line-up. The 22 year-old Brazilian spent 2007 as the Renault F1 Team’s test and reserve driver, after finishing runner-up in the 2006 GP2 series championship. He will make his F1 debut at the 2008 Australian Grand Prix.

“First of all, I want to thank Flavio and Renault for putting their confidence in me for 2008,” commented Nelsinho. “It is a fantastic opportunity to make my Formula 1 debut with one of the top teams on the grid, and alongside one of the very best drivers in the sport. This drive is something I have been working towards since the end of 2006, and I am proud that my performances as test driver have earned me this position. I am looking forward to teaming up with Fernando, and learning from him. As a rookie, there is no better way to start your career than to have a double world champion as your reference point.”

The team’s 2008 challenger, the Renault R28, will run for the first time at a three-day teams test in Valencia, Spain from 22 – 24 January. The car will be officially launched at Renault’s corporate communications headquarters in Paris, France on Thursday 31 January 2008.
    So a completely 'new' driver line up.
    Last edited by Wouter Melissen; 12-10-2007 at 06:24 AM.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

And what about Kovalainen then?

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    McLaren probably.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I would love to see Alonso to get his ass handed to him by another "rookie"...
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

^ that's what i was just about to say... also i'm wondering how long will actually stay alonso in renault and will he move to ferrari eventually?
    12 cylinders or walk!

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    Apparently Kovalainen is negotiating with two teams. One could be McLaren, but Kovalainen has stated that he won't be an assisting driver. I believe De la Rosa will be Hamilton's wingman. There's been rumours about Kovalainen going to Toyota, but I've understood they have contrachts with Trulli and Glock.

I hope Kovalainen gets the second McLaren seat after this settles the driver market. De la Rosa next to Hamilton is a wasted seat, he never got anywhere near Raikkonen in the 2nd half of 2006. Likewise Kovalainen in a Toyota would be wasted talent, unless signing 2 young, hungry drivers will be what Toyota needs to move forward.
    I am the Stig

I hope Kovalainen lands somewhere good, like McLaren, they love their Fins at that team. What happened to Fishucella, I don't remember hearing?

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    I hope Kovalainen lands somewhere good, like McLaren, they love their Fins at that team. What happened to Fishucella, I don't remember hearing?
    fisichella is probably out of F1. he may compete in his GP2 team
    12 cylinders or walk!

If Alonso EVER moved to Ferrari i would move to McLaren...

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi View Post
    fisichella is probably out of F1. he may compete in his GP2 team
    I think he's smart enough to know if he's out of F1, at his age he cant get back in by re-attempting the lower grades like Timo Glock did. Theres still a possibility he'll get the Force India seat even though Klien and Liuzzi were the strongest in testing for the seat.
    I am the Stig

Kovalainen and Sutil are both tipped for the McLaren seat...

alonso belongs at renault. He did well there. I always thought he was wrong to leave.

His decision was justified though with how Renault dropped in performance for this year. Had the Renault management not always seemed so keen to drop out of F1 at a moments notice as soon as it wasnt profitable for them anymore, Alonso would never had doubted his place in the team.
    I am the Stig

It seems, Kovalainen is to fast for Alonso, had some bad experience with Hamilton and its a bad marketing for Renault, to have their ex Champ crying again.

Thread Information