Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bmw M5 E39

Bmw M5 E39

Im sure theres no one here who dislikes this car... its pretty much and all around favorite. about 400rwhp and 500nm make it pretty much the fastist sports sedan in the world. i have heard here and there of mod chips, that involve removing power limiters, modifing the CPU, installing new EMSs ect... that can get it near 700rwhp!!!! does anyone no of any of these in existance??

do you realise youve said the M5 has 400 rear wheel horsepower?
    I am the Stig

yes i did, was i wrong?

well those almost 400 horses were found at the flywheel
    I am the Stig

ok, would that mean bhp would work better?

yeah it would be more accurate
    I am the Stig

ok well im glad thats over with

Quote Originally Posted by 16-4Veyron
    i have heard here and there of mod chips, that involve removing power limiters, modifing the CPU, installing new EMSs ect... that can get it near 700rwhp!!!! does anyone no of any of these in existance??
    Well, there are certainly no "power limiters" per se, unless you mean removing the catalytic converter, but that's nothing to do with electronics. There is really no way that you could get 700rwhp (or 700bhp) from a new/reprogrammed ECU.

DINAN makes a pretty mean M5, however... (and this is straight from their website):

"For the first time in nearly 20 years, BMW has provided the driving enthusiast with all of the power that can be mustered as a result of engine management tuning. BMW detonation control systems, high speed engine management computers and sophisticated "adaptations" have left no horsepower for we tuners to extract; as much as we hate to admit it!"

So to answer your question... what you have heard "here and there" is completely fictitious.

As far as tuning M5s goes, the largest gains outside of forced induction seem to be from larger throttle bodies, tuned velocity stacks, and exhaust manifolds. All of this, naturally, is mechanical, and the three of these combined (in DINAN tune) will produce an additional 70hp/60lbs-ft.
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 12-24-2003 at 02:38 AM.

even still, the most your ever going to really gain from ECU mods is about 20-40kw and thats on the worst of engines, let alone a BMW V8
    I am the Stig

this is gonna sound pretty weird but... the reason i brought this up is because i was lookin at a pic of the M5 and i remembered when i was like 8-10 years old i saw this show on TV about a guy who basicaly put some laptops in his trunk and modded some of the electronics. he said he got more than 600 bhp out of it. so basicaly im remembering a distant, and true memory

this is gonna sound pretty weird but... the reason i brought this up is because i was lookin at a pic of the M5 and i remembered when i was like 8-10 years old i saw this show on TV about a guy who basicaly put some laptops in his trunk and modded some of the electronics. he said he got more than 600 bhp out of it. so basicaly im remembering a distant, and true memory
    Well unfortunately, according to DINAN, there's really nothing left to be squeezed from the M5's ECU, even with two laptops in the trunk . Could you be thinking of another model of M5?

good question, im pretty sure this is it though, and who is DINAN

good question, im pretty sure this is it though, and who is DINAN
    DINAN is one of the most respected BMW tuners in the world. They most certainly know what they're doing.

http://www.dinancars.com/default.htm

Look at the first paragraph under "Performance Engine Software":

http://www.dinancars.com/Products/5series/M5/m5.html#1

dude theres a big list of after market parts on that site

dude theres a big list of after market parts on that site
    Yeah, they're all DINAN parts. It's their web page

Thread Information