Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Turkish Grand Prix (May 28-30)

BUT it has already happened, a team found to be giving team orders loses the points and gets fined.

I think the team purpose is alsoi too simple as stated there.
    it IS complicated and many-faceted.
    Having your driver be THE one aligned to the whole F1 carries your brand forward - hence why I cited Schumi and his Ferrari deals. Ferrari NEVER cared about a second driver. Their whole stated aim was to get their driver on the podium.

Simple marketing, standing on the podium #1 spot gets you 19 chances to show your brand, technology, skills. The WCC gets you a bundle of money at the end of the year.
    Tell me which one a publicity department wants ?????
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Each point on the WCC is worth a certain amount of TV money.....regardless which driver scores that pt(which to the driver is the WDC pts). So I am with henk4 that to the team, WCC is more important....

When team mates collides, especially in this case where a potential 1-2(45 WCC points) went down to a 3rd only(15 WCC pts), it is potentially millions of dollars, worse yet, if it turns out to be the margin of loss to the actual championship, the ramification is worse. Not to mention its a net loss of equipments....IMO teammates should race differently, and thats a big difference at the big-league level motorsport to the grassroot stuff.

I also don't think Webber HAD the corner. Seb was inside, and ahead, but he got greedy and wanted the racing line and thats why they collided. If that hadn't happened, Webber would have to brake earlier to make the turn, or Seb will just hang him out dry and turns in late(probably had to anyway on the shallow line he was on) and Webber will either cut the chicane or just make a really slow turn. I don't remember the on board but they touched past the 50m marker, so not much of the corner is left at that point. It was IMO at best 50/50 on who owns the corner.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    BUT it has already happened, a team found to be giving team orders loses the points and gets fined.

I think the team purpose is alsoi too simple as stated there.
    it IS complicated and many-faceted.
    Having your driver be THE one aligned to the whole F1 carries your brand forward - hence why I cited Schumi and his Ferrari deals. Ferrari NEVER cared about a second driver. Their whole stated aim was to get their driver on the podium.

Simple marketing, standing on the podium #1 spot gets you 19 chances to show your brand, technology, skills. The WCC gets you a bundle of money at the end of the year.
    Tell me which one a publicity department wants ?????
    I am fully aware that team orders are officially forbidden. But that does not stop teams from putting their overall interest first, but of course not openly. The Ferraris that Schumacher had available during his heydays were good enough for a mediocre (and cheaper) number two to score enough points for the championship.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Each point on the WCC is worth a certain amount of TV money.....regardless which driver scores that pt(which to the driver is the WDC pts). So I am with henk4 that to the team, WCC is more important....
    TV money is peanuts compared to sponsorship.
    What gets the most sponsorships coverage --- being on the podium each race or beind WCC ? Most folks can go back a few years listing F1 WDCs and struggle to know which the WCC was.

When team mates collides, especially in this case where a potential 1-2(45 WCC points) went down to a 3rd only(15 WCC pts), it is potentially millions of dollars, worse yet, if it turns out to be the margin of loss to the actual championship, the ramification is worse.
    We don't know - and Bernie will never publish - the exact numbers , but when you work backwards from team costs and sponsorship it was a small ratio. Mattered a lot to the small teams, but not the big ones.

Not to mention its a net loss of equipments....IMO teammates should race differently, and thats a big difference at the big-league level motorsport to the grassroot stuff.
    Not sure which way round you think it's different.
    But rest assured, at ALL levels of motorsport on road circuits, drivers dont have the time or capacity to be double thinking for their team mate.
    Fact
    I also don't think Webber HAD the corner
    Well cant' say it any less bluntly..... you're wrong
    It's irrelevant too as Vettel's stupid move meant nobody reached the corner correctly !!!
    I don't remember the on board but they touched past the 50m marker, so not much of the corner is left at that point. It was IMO at best 50/50 on who owns the corner.
    F1 cars aren't usually even THINKING about braking at a 50m board !
    I've stated the siutuatrion as a racer woudl see it and will leave it to Ross Brawn also who made it clear HE woudl not have been embracing Vettel
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

please think: Teams consider the WCC more important, the public considers the WDC the important thing. Can anybody offhand remember a year when WDC and WCC were not won by the same team? Ferrari in 1982?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

When Hamilton won.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

1999...Hakkinen was WDC and Ferrari won WCC...

No point arguing Matra, I think you are wrong on Webber owning the corner, the guy on the inside and upfront is always going to get to the apex first, regardless what happen after he gets there, he might run wide and lose the position anyway..... Vettel's mistake was to try to get back in line when Webber was still there, but his attempt to pass is nothing different that anyone else in his position would have done. If the move was so desperate than Mark would have just let him over cook the corner and not held his line in force. But IMO the move could have sticked(if not only for the first part of the 12-13-14 complex) if it weren't for Vettel's misjudged move after.

I say 50m board because I don't know whats the actual distance of the last board. All of that stuff happen after the last board....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Good point, and will look it up, BUT that confuses INTENT with RESULT.
    We cannot prove either way.

Good for discussion and exploration of the points, but sadly not an answer

No point arguing Matra, I think you are wrong on Webber owning the corner, the guy on the inside and upfront is always going to get to the apex first
    I'm trying best NOT to be arguing.

But again you are WRONG in what you write.
    The APEX of a corner is BEYOND the turn in and if you are inside you cannot reach the apex, you either got for an early apex or pull up REALLY hard and hold up the opponent beign able to get to the apex without getting even slower - a trick SChumacher used often in the rain

So how to take a next step ?
    I can best advise get to a track and get a driver to take you out and FEEL the difference in speed on early apexing a corner versus missing an apex.
    Or, listen to Mr Brawn

The blue years are where WDC and WCC were different.
    Still think it's not helping us that much as too many other variables and no direct connectino can be made.
    But is intersting.

EDIT: I've also highlighted in green the years where the TEAM were the winners - ie won WDC, WCC and WDC runners-up. WHich you'd think woudl happen often if the event was a team only event with predicable results.

When you see this you realise how much Schumacher MEANT at Ferrari for sure though

YEAR WDC driver Team , WCC winner , WCC runner-up , WDC runner up and team(s)
    1958 Mike Hawthorn Ferrari , Vanwall , Ferrari , Stirling Moss Cooper Vanwall
    1959 Jack Brabham Cooper* , Cooper , Ferrari , Tony Brooks Ferrari
    1960 Jack Brabham Cooper* , Cooper , Lotus , Bruce McLaren Cooper
    1961 Phil Hill Ferrari* , Ferrari , Lotus , Wolfgang von Trips† Ferrari
    1962 Graham Hill BRM* , BRM , Lotus , Jim Clark Lotus
    1963 Jim Clark Lotus* , Lotus , BRM , Graham Hill BRM
    1964 John Surtees Ferrari* , Ferrari , BRM , Graham Hill BRM
    1965 Jim Clark Lotus* , Lotus , BRM , Graham Hill BRM
    1966 Jack Brabham Brabham* , Brabham , Ferrari , John Surtees Ferrari Cooper
    1967 Denny Hulme Brabham* , Brabham , Lotus , Jack Brabham Brabham
    1968 Graham Hill Lotus* , Lotus , McLaren , Jackie Stewart Matra
    1969 Jackie Stewart Matra* , Matra , Brabham , Jacky Ickx Brabham
    1970 Jochen Rindt Lotus* , Lotus , Ferrari , Jacky Ickx Ferrari
    1971 Jackie Stewart Tyrrell* , Tyrrell , BRM , Ronnie Peterson March
    1972 Emerson Fittipaldi Lotus* , Lotus , Tyrrell , Jackie Stewart Tyrrell
    1973 Jackie Stewart Tyrrell , Lotus , Tyrrell , Emerson Fittipaldi Lotus
    1974 Emerson Fittipaldi McLaren* , McLaren , Ferrari , Clay Regazzoni Ferrari
    1975 Niki Lauda Ferrari* , Ferrari , Brabham , Emerson Fittipaldi McLaren
    1976 James Hunt McLaren , Ferrari , McLaren , Niki Lauda Ferrari
    1977 Niki Lauda Ferrari* , Ferrari , Lotus , Jody Scheckter Wolf
    1978 Mario Andretti Lotus* , Lotus , Ferrari , Ronnie Peterson† Lotus
    1979 Jody Scheckter Ferrari* , Ferrari , Williams , Gilles Villeneuve Ferrari
    1980 Alan Jones Williams* , Williams , Ligier , Nelson Piquet Brabham
    1981 Nelson Piquet Brabham , Williams , Brabham , Carlos Reutemann Williams
    1982 Keke Rosberg Williams , Ferrari , McLaren , Didier Pironi Ferrari
    1983 Nelson Piquet Brabham , Ferrari , Renault , Alain Prost Renault
    1984 Niki Lauda McLaren* , McLaren , Ferrari , Alain Prost McLaren
    1985 Alain Prost McLaren* , McLaren , Ferrari , Michele Alboreto Ferrari
    1986 Alain Prost McLaren , Williams , McLaren , Nigel Mansell Williams
    1987 Nelson Piquet Williams* , Williams , McLaren , Nigel Mansell Williams
    1988 Ayrton Senna McLaren* , McLaren , Ferrari , Alain Prost McLaren
    1989 Alain Prost McLaren* , McLaren , Williams , Ayrton Senna McLaren
    1990 Ayrton Senna McLaren* , McLaren , Ferrari , Alain Prost Ferrari
    1991 Ayrton Senna McLaren* , McLaren , Williams , Nigel Mansell Williams
    1992 Nigel Mansell Williams* , Williams , McLaren , Riccardo Patrese Williams
    1993 Alain Prost Williams* , Williams , McLaren , Ayrton Senna McLaren
    1994 Michael Schumacher Benetton , Williams , Benetton , Damon Hill Williams
    1995 Michael Schumacher Benetton* , Benetton , Williams , Damon Hill Williams
    1996 Damon Hill Williams* , Williams , Ferrari , Jacques Villeneuve Williams
    1997 Jacques Villeneuve Williams* , Williams , Ferrari , Heinz-Harald Frentzen* Williams
    1998 Mika Häkkinen McLaren* , McLaren , Ferrari , Michael Schumacher Ferrari
    1999 Mika Häkkinen McLaren , Ferrari , McLaren , Eddie Irvine Ferrari
    2000 Michael Schumacher Ferrari* , Ferrari , McLaren , Mika Häkkinen McLaren
    2001 Michael Schumacher Ferrari* , Ferrari , McLaren , David Coulthard McLaren
    2002 Michael Schumacher Ferrari* , Ferrari , Williams , Rubens Barrichello Ferrari
    2003 Michael Schumacher Ferrari* , Ferrari , Williams , Kimi Räikkönen McLaren
    2004 Michael Schumacher Ferrari* , Ferrari , BAR , Rubens Barrichello Ferrari
    2005 Fernando Alonso Renault* , Renault , McLaren , Kimi Räikkönen McLaren
    2006 Fernando Alonso Renault* , Renault , Ferrari , Michael Schumacher Ferrari
    2007 Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari* , Ferrari , BMW Sauber , Lewis Hamilton McLaren
    2008 Lewis Hamilton McLaren , Ferrari , McLaren , Felipe Massa Ferrari
    2009 Jenson Button Brawn* , Brawn , Red Bull , Sebastian Vettel Red Bull

The source I used didn't have the runners-up ....

EDIT: The above table now shows the team of the runner up driver

...... which might be interesting to look at too. A true team-win year would suggest the same team as runners-up. But, then doing deeper analysis will lead to much more stats research no time for like the points gap !

EDIT: What I did realise was on soem of them how dominant the CAR was in the year of the triple

THIRD EDIT: () The columns got screwed in the original. So SHOUDL now be at least accurate -- though it's still inconclusive ( .... pasting tables into this SUCKS )
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 06-02-2010 at 04:26 AM.

There is a difference between rolling over and let him through and retreating a bit to fight for the next corner. Much like the later Hamilton vs Button scrap. If Webber had just avoided letting Seb run into him
    Webber isn't supposed to avoid anything... just stick to his line.
    whoever is overtaking is supposed to avoid hitting stuff.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

interesting table, whereby the header should probably be

brand of the WDC winner, the WDC winner, WCC Winner, runner-up in the WCC???
    And yes, teams would like to have strong drivers, but not for the purpose of making these WDC, but for the purpose of making the team WCC.

Yeah sorry Pieter, I focussed on building the facts, a header woudl have helped - FIXED

Not sure I follow the logic at the end.
    Strong driver doesn't guarantee WCC.... though granted Schumi is the case
    Strong CAR makes it for sure when you look at the years where the team wins all three.
    I jsut don't see ANY way to create the logic to get from that data to the conclusion "purpose of making the team WCC".
    I think I've added the points which suggest the facts don't give us insight and there woudl be a case to investigate the facts further to see if it was possible to confirm all the conjecture we all put here.
    MY main rationale on saying the WDC still is the one that counts is the actrions of the teams, But also F1 is MONEY and the vast majority of the TEAM INCOME is from the sponsors and not Bernie ( despite recent changes ). 19 chances for Vodafone to be on the TV at centre of focus, versus ONE and one that may not count if the sponsor changes for the next season.

just for the record, I remembered 1982 offhand as one year where the WDC was not in the WCC team (Rosberg and Ferrari). Yet your table shows otherwise... (Ferrari used four drivers to get that result as both Villeneuve and Pironi had to be replaced)

Hadn't noticed the process from source to UCP pages was screwing up the tables.
    Fixed --- I think .. adn if it's not please jsut edit. I've run out of hair to pull out trying to make the forum software accept paste of large tables

Interstingly more green back their in the 70s and 80s than I'd ahve said happened
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 06-02-2010 at 04:29 AM.

Thread Information