Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many flats do you get?

How many flats do you get?

This question is kind of arising from an editorial I recently read on the uselessness of runflats and spares, as well as some conversations with friends. I was curious how many flat tires people get, both in the past on less advanced tires and more recently. Would you be comfortable without having a spare in order to save weight and space? Would you be willing to drive with no spare and no runflats because the runflats ride too harshly and just rely on a cellphone and tow service?

I've never gotten a flat in my life, probably due to the fact that I'm running 33x12.50 BFG Mudterrains. It almost takes a power drill to give me a flat, broken glass and nails don't come close, but I still keep a full size spare so that if I go offroad and if a root rips out the sidewall I'm not stranded.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

I have 285/75/16 tires, so I personally have never gotten a flat, but low profile tires do all the time. My dad's had two and my mom had three in her old car, both were xxx/30/xx.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

I still carry my spacesaver 14" spare in the trunk with the VW tool kit. But this summer, it didn't help me when I ran over a key (yes, a key...) and it got stuck in the sidewall of my Eagle F1 DS-G3. And of course, no one carries a 10mm allen socket with them in their tow truck tool kit. So I had to get it towed.

I had a flat about 3 years ago while I was in school. Walked out to my car one morning and the driver's front was down to the ground. Had a full emergency kit in my trunk. Tried the Fix-a-Flat junk; it just leaked out. Couldn't get leverage to break the lugs loose. Had to call a rig for that one, too.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

I have the exact same tires as you (only a 31) and i have had several and they are great, ive never had a blowout. I had some pretty well worn BFG All terrain TA's before and I had my drivers side front blow out in colorado in the mountains at about 2:00am in some moderate snow. I had no cell phone service...i checked after changing my tire to tell the story. My pickup had a full size spare so i drove it to the next gas station (about an hour drive) made sure it had the right ammount of air in it, and then drove all the way through to nebraska (about 10 hours) on it.

I refuse to travel more than an hour or so from my town unless I am in a car with a spare tire. My camaro doesn't have one and i havent gotten around to buying one yet so I never take it much further than Omaha. A spare is essential. I would hate to have to rely on run flats because i think they can only run without air for like 60 miles right? I would prefer a full sized spare or at least a doughnut but i suppose a run flat is better than nothing.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    . And of course, no one carries a 10mm allen socket with them in their tow truck tool kit. So I had to get it towed.

Couldn't get leverage to break the lugs loose. Had to call a rig for that one, too.
    So did you call the tow truck driver to change your tire for you? you sound like a horrible car guy! (just kidding around)

thats why i carry a pretty extensive tool kit with me whenever i drive anywhere far. plus you never know what else might break or if another person on the road has a problem and you want to lend a helping hand
    Last edited by roosterjuicer; 12-16-2008 at 05:04 PM.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

well... i have had quite a few flats in my life. a couple high speed blow outs, both in my old BMW, back when i had it 10 years ago. then in my Isuzu pickup. since moving on to modern cars, i havent had a blowout per se. i have had a few flats, but nothing significant. like quiggs i also got a key lodged in my runflat on the mini. it drove just fine with no air in it. drove it for abouut 20 miles on it. no real problem. only problem was that there were no goodyear eagle RS-A runflats in my size for over 100 miles. so had a few days with no driving.

i eventually got rid of the runflats on the mini. it rode horribly with them on, and i wanted to make the ride a bit better. i never had a flat in the replacement Avons. but i did carry around a continental fix a flat system with the goo and a small compressor to pump your tire up. still havent had to use it, other than to pump my tires up a bit. i didnt have a spare during that time, and i never really worried.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    So did you call the tow truck driver to change your tire for you? you sound like a horrible car guy! (just kidding around)

thats why i carry a pretty extensive tool kit with me whenever i drive anywhere far. plus you never know what else might break or if another person on the road has a problem and you want to lend a helping hand
    For the second one, yes. For the first story, I had the car towed to the dealer I was working at and paid the one guy $5 to mount/balance it after work for me. I pay a lot for my AAA Plus membership. May as well use it.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

24hr GM roadside assistance FTW.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

I thought you asked how many Fiats do you get.

None. I don't have a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    I still carry my spacesaver 14" spare in the trunk with the VW tool kit. But this summer, it didn't help me when I ran over a key (yes, a key...) and it got stuck in the sidewall of my Eagle F1 DS-G3. And of course, no one carries a 10mm allen socket with them in their tow truck tool kit. So I had to get it towed.

I had a flat about 3 years ago while I was in school. Walked out to my car one morning and the driver's front was down to the ground. Had a full emergency kit in my trunk. Tried the Fix-a-Flat junk; it just leaked out. Couldn't get leverage to break the lugs loose. Had to call a rig for that one, too.
    Pussy

None so far and running with run flats.

Keeping fingers crossed.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I thought you asked how many Fiats do you get.

None. I don't have a car.
    Even if you had one the chances it would be a Fiat are slim...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I'm one of those people that has a bunch of tools in the vehicle at all times. If the boyscouts motto is "always prepared" my families motto is "over prepared." I've even got a 9,000lb warn electric winch on the front of my jeep, which I end up using most of the time to pull other people out of ditches, and I love stopping to do stuff like that. I've even gotten a couple of dates out of stuff like that. Once because I stopped to give her a jump and once because I pulled a truck out of the ditch and it turned out that one of the girls in it went to my highschool.

Edit: I just read that and it sounded like I was charging dates in order to help people. I actually charge beer.
    Last edited by wwgkd; 12-16-2008 at 06:22 PM.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    24hr GM roadside assistance FTW.
    Not for long

I still think there is no replacement for a full size spare tire. Unfortunately my car has a donut spare since the wheels are staggered sizes F/R. I haven't gotten a flat on my current vehicle but it has happened a bunch on other cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    None so far and running with run flats.

Keeping fingers crossed.

Even if you had one the chances it would be a Fiat are slim...
    Are you saying I'm not macho enough to own a Fiat?

My dad had a pile of rust shaped like a Fiat 124 spider once. It was too damp out here in the desert I guess.
    Flat tires were the least of its problems.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Thread Information