Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: is it just me or are honda's underpowered?

^ just not the same lap time, which is one of the better performance indexes and one not suited to muscle cars i guess
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

What are we talking about?

Hello members.,

Honda's underpowered?
    Take the Integra type R. I own one from 1999 since it was new and I drive it as my everyday car. 195 HP from a 1800 CC engine, 235 kilometers topspeed, 8400 RPM max without a turbo or a compressor (it will and does rev up to 9000 rpm before the rev limit kicks in). Name me more engines in large scale production that will do that kind of thing.

What about roadholding?
    Road holding of Honda's (in Europe) is good which is the thing to have in here. Just like one of the contributers said, horsepower isn't everything. If it doesn't go around corners you can have all the horsepower you want but won't get anywhere. Look at Porsche and their philosophy towards power and roadholding. Do they have cars with the most horsepower in their segment? Look at the test 'Topgear' did. The Porsche 911 won although it had the least hp of the three cars tested. Same with Honda.

And if we are talking reliability:
    Up to now I have driven 255.000 kilometers (160.000 miles) in my Integra Type R and the only major repairs were two windscreens because of stones of the road, a new clutch at 180.000 kilometers, a new set of dampers and of course new cambelts every 100.000 kilometers. No work on the engine, the gearbox, the limited slip differential or the suspension. And the exhaust is still the original one. Let's hear what you have to say.

Ciao, Olaf
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Zagato_Olaf (Olaf Roeten)
    -------------------------
    GT 1300 Junior Zagato 1972 (#1801112)
    GT 1300 Junior Lusso 1974
    Giulia Nuova Super 1600 Lusso 1977
    Alfa Sud 5M 1980 (R.I.P.)

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    As expected
    So to balance the silliness .... "AND it can go round corners"
    Don`t be baited, Slicks knows there are another 2 whole spatial dimensions in which cars can be enjoyed (in addition to the single dimension drag utilises)...he just don`t care for them.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

integra type r's were great cars for their time and were not under powered compared to their competition ie, other civics, integra's, sentra's, ect... of course they havent made the type R since the late 90's i believe. but it seems like now honda's are underpowered compared to their competition.

as for the nsx, its not just the vette that will smoke it, ls1 camaro's, gto's, mustang cobra's, m3's, m5's, and a bunch of other cars that cost WAAY LESS than an NSX will smoke an nsx, that just shouldn't be
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    as for the nsx, its not just the vette that will smoke it, ls1 camaro's, gto's, mustang cobra's, m3's, m5's, and a bunch of other cars that cost WAAY LESS than an NSX will smoke an nsx, that just shouldn't be
    It's an exotic my friend. A C6 Z06 will smoke just about anything for a lot less!! Ferrari 360s, Gallardos, you name it!! Like I said on my previous post, you pay more per hp on just about any exotic than what you pay on an NSX. Is just that the whole 290hp BS has every ignorant soul crying and whining. When you buy an NSX you get a lot more than 4 wheels and 290hp for your $90k.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagato_Olaf View Post
    [SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"]Hello members.,

Honda's underpowered?
    Take the Integra type R. I own one from 1999 since it was new and I drive it as my everyday car. 195 HP from a 1800 CC engine, 235 kilometers topspeed, 8400 RPM max without a turbo or a compressor (it will and does rev up to 9000 rpm before the rev limit kicks in). Name me more engines in large scale production that will do that kind of thing.
    Welcome to the forum.
    But Im sorry to say 195hp is 195hp is 195hp, doesn't matter what engine its coming from, or what RPM its made at.
    And 195hp is certainly underpowered for a "performance car" that weighs what yours does(not saying its heavy though).

Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite View Post
    Don`t be baited, Slicks knows there are another 2 whole spatial dimensions in which cars can be enjoyed (in addition to the single dimension drag utilises)...he just don`t care for them.
    If you bother to read any of my posts you will see that I actually prefer handling to acceleration. But that does not mean I will sacrifice lots of acceleration for handling, mainly because I have to go completely out of my way to find some twisties.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
    It's an exotic my friend. A C6 Z06 will smoke just about anything for a lot less!! Ferrari 360s, Gallardos, you name it!! Like I said on my previous post, you pay more per hp on just about any exotic than what you pay on an NSX. Is just that the whole 290hp BS has every ignorant soul crying and whining. When you buy an NSX you get a lot more than 4 wheels and 290hp for your $90k.
    well, i guess to me an exotic should have exotic power to go with the exotic price. and i dont really consider the nsx to be an exotic, i think its somewhere in between an exotic and a corvette but whatever its classified as its still under powered compared both to its competition and cars well below it.

When you buy a 911 you get a lot more than 290hp and 4 wheels with your 90k also.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

well, i guess to me an exotic should have exotic power to go with the exotic price. and i dont really consider the nsx to be an exotic, i think its somewhere in between an exotic and a corvette but whatever its classified as its still under powered compared both to its competition and cars well below it.

When you buy a 911 you get a lot more than 290hp and 4 wheels with your 90k also.
    The reason for the NSX only having 290ps was explained much earlier in the thread. I'm sure Honda would have liked to have put more power in the NSX, but their hands were tied.

The NSX's perceived lack of power doesn't stop it from being a great car. It has a heck of a lot more going for it than just straight line performance.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    The reason for the NSX only having 290ps was explained much earlier in the thread. I'm sure Honda would have liked to have put more power in the NSX, but their hands were tied.

The NSX's perceived lack of power doesn't stop it from being a great car. It has a heck of a lot more going for it than just straight line performance.
    first of all, the gentlemans agreement was for 277 horsepower i believe, so with 290 the nsx is already breaking the agreement. and either way, the agreement didn't stop toyota and mitsubishi from making cars with 330 horsepower for US markets. honda could have done it too.

The nsx doesn't have a percieved lack of power, its a real one. but nevertheless i have never said its not a good car. ive always been a big nsx fan. but that doesn't change the fact that its over priced and underpowered compared to its competition.

first of all, the gentlemans agreement was for 277 horsepower i believe, so with 290 the nsx is already breaking the agreement. and either way, the agreement didn't stop toyota and mitsubishi from making cars with 330 horsepower for US markets. honda could have done it too.

The nsx doesn't have a percieved lack of power, its a real one. but nevertheless i have never said its not a good car. ive always been a big nsx fan. but that doesn't change the fact that its over priced and underpowered compared to its competition.
    As I said earlier, the cars themselves made 300+ HP, but advertisements listed it as 276.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    As I said earlier, the cars themselves made 300+ HP, but advertisements listed it as 276.
    not in the US.

Why is it underpowered? It has great lap/accel times with the power that it was given. It's like saying that a Lotus Elise is underpowered because it only has 180hp. You have to try and see beeeeyyoooonnnnnddddd.....

You only get 1000hp for your $1 million on the Bugatti Veyron, what a piece of crap, the NSX would give you almost 3000hp for $1 million

Like I always say. Supercharge it and for less than $110,000 you have a car that will destroy everything on any kind of race.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
    Why is it underpowered? It has great lap/accel times with the power that it was given. It's like saying that a Lotus Elise is underpowered because it only has 180hp. You have to try and see beeeeyyoooonnnnnddddd.....

Like I always say. Supercharge it and for less than $110,000 you have a car that will destroy everything on any kind of race.
    its underpowered because it costs 90k, is considered an exotic or halo car, and has a lot less power and is slower than both its competition and cars that are "beneath" it.

Supercharged NSX's are still pretty slow. most of the kits ive seen add 60-100 horsepower. although i remember hearing about one that dyno's 400hp at the wheels. but either way, the story ends with you having to supercharge a 90,000 dollar car which and you still can barely keep up with a c5 z06 and you get beat by a c6 vette and owned by a z06.

its underpowered because it costs 90k, is considered an exotic or halo car, and has a lot less power and is slower than both its competition and cars that are "beneath" it.
    How hard is it? That's not the point. The NSX was meant to be the first japanese supercar and as such was made form the japanese point of view, which as we have discussed at lenght in this topic is just different.

I guess you must consider the Spyker C8 rubbish, then. It has "only" 400bhp yet it costs $385,000...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I guess you must consider the Spyker C8 rubbish, then. It has "only" 400bhp yet it costs $385,000...
    It has 400bhp, who cares how much it costs, it is all justified with its 400bhp engine

Supercharged NSX's are still pretty slow. most of the kits ive seen add 60-100 horsepower. although i remember hearing about one that dyno's 400hp at the wheels. but either way, the story ends with you having to supercharge a 90,000 dollar car which and you still can barely keep up with a c5 z06 and you get beat by a c6 vette and owned by a z06.
    To each its own then I guess, I'm done arguing... At the end of the day I'll be taking home a true, handbuilt, unique sportscar and not a common-as-a-Honda-Civic with a Chevrolet Blazer interior car

Thread Information