Thread: Lotus' future plans

Lotus' future plans

Earlier this year, Lotus officially announced plans to build a successor to the Esprit supercar, which will serve as the company's future flagship towards the end of the decade. Today, the automaker announced it also has plans for two other new models. These include a new mid-range Lotus set for launch in December 2008 and a Lotus/Proton high-performance model, due in May 2008. Additionally, Lotus gave a firm timeframe for the new Esprit, which it says will be unveiled in December 2009. Previously, Lotus had planned to launch the car a year earlier. Lotus says it decided to delay the launch of the Esprit to incorporate more Lotus "DNA" and other enhancements to "meet the changing needs of the global marketplace."

Proton previously indicated it was working with Lotus on a low-cost vehicle that would cost somewhere between $15,000 and $20,000 U.S. dollars. Lotus was also said to be collaborating on the now-cancelled VW GX3.

Mike Kimberley, CEO of Group Lotus said: "We are very pleased to have secured LGIL Board approval for a high-level five-year strategic business plan - the first such approved plan that this company has had in the last six years. We have some great opportunities ahead of us and some already under way. It's a very bright future but we have to work hard to bring all the opportunities to fruition." The current Lotus model range includes the award-winning and class-leading Elise and Exige with the recently-introduced Europa S. Development work on two of the three new models is already ongoing and will increase significantly in future months.

In August, rumors surfaced that Lotus might begin re-engineering cars from other automakers as it did with the Ford Cortina, Talbot Sunbeam and Opel Omega. Lotus is also responsible for much of the engineering work on the recently-introduced Tesla electric roadster.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

thats good news not like the were really in danger but it seems like they are going back to their roots

Lotus leaves me distinctly unimpressed. 1994 was the last year of Lotus's glory. The Europa, in my humble opinion, does not deserve the name of such a remarkable beautiful, unique and enjoyable car. To me Lotus is just another car maker now, it's about the money, and only the money-it's run with a focus on buisness not cars. Lotus will never match the glory days of Chapman, but hell, as part of GM it didn't disapoint like it does now. Lotus is as good as dead to me, no matter how well the cars perform-they put a V8 in an Esprit and that mocked all that was great about road-going Lotus. further more the current model range is unattractive, to phrase it politely, and I liked the '74 Elite. I supose the British car industry fell just as their empire did and that is a crying shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    Lotus leaves me distinctly unimpressed. 1994 was the last year of Lotus's glory. The Europa, in my humble opinion, does not deserve the name of such a remarkable beautiful, unique and enjoyable car. To me Lotus is just another car maker now, it's about the money, and only the money-it's run with a focus on buisness not cars. Lotus will never match the glory days of Chapman, but hell, as part of GM it didn't disapoint like it does now. Lotus is as good as dead to me, no matter how well the cars perform-they put a V8 in an Esprit and that mocked all that was great about road-going Lotus. further more the current model range is unattractive, to phrase it politely, and I liked the '74 Elite. I supose the British car industry fell just as their empire did and that is a crying shame.
    I disagree with all of this. The Esprit V8 has always been one of Lotus' most famous cars. It has always given their range variety. Would you rather they just made lightweight cars that are generally the same to drive, just some fast accelerating than others? I would hope not.

The new budget Elise has taken Lotus back even closer to the olden days. Of course, it's not as stripped out, but that is purely because of laws that are now in place that weren't then. In essence, it's as stripped out as it can be, and is great value for money. And the Elise S1 still remains to be one of the best classic cars around, and the S2 will certainly follow in its footsteps.

Lotus are about supplying performance for a low price, and the Elise variants and the Esprit variants have always done that. £40k for a car that at the time could compete with a Ferrari 355 nearing £100k? The V8GT was in Noble M12 GTO3R territory and if Noble doesn't represent Lotus roots, nothing does.

I respect the Perfrormance. I am well aware that they can't strip them out like the old days. No I wouldn't want the driving expirience to be exactly the same for al their cars. It's the look of the elise/exige that I detest, and the 8 in the V8 Esprit that I destest. Lotus roadcars should be light weight, have small yet powerful engines, excellent power to weight ratios and beatiful styling. It must have all four of those things to be a true Lotus in my eyes. The Elise is close, extremely close, but just doesn't do it for me. The V8 really killed it for me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    I respect the Perfrormance. I am well aware that they can't strip them out like the old days. No I wouldn't want the driving expirience to be exactly the same for al their cars. It's the look of the elise/exige that I detest, and the 8 in the V8 Esprit that I destest. Lotus roadcars should be light weight, have small yet powerful engines, excellent power to weight ratios and beatiful styling. It must have all four of those things to be a true Lotus in my eyes. The Elise is close, extremely close, but just doesn't do it for me. The V8 really killed it for me though.
    The V8 is the only vehicle that gives Lotus variety. If they didn't have the V8, everyone would complain that Lotus couldn't produce anything other than lightweight vehicles. They're not just a company producing cars under the Lotus brand, they also help a huge number of other companies. If they could only make something light handle well, then they wouldn't particularly get much activity in that sector.

And there are more people who love the looks of the Elise/Exige than there are people who think it looks shite. It's called modern design ... without it Lotus would be accused of not being able to create new designs, much like Morgan had before the Aero 8 was released.

Also I've got another few words for you: Lotus Talbot ... considered one of the best performing hatchbacks and excellent fun. Lotus Vauxhall Carlton ... up until recently considered the king of 'wolfs in sheeps clothing' and saloons in general. They are sure as hell not light but they go by the principles of Lotus ... if it doesn't handle well, make it handle well.

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige:
    The V8 is the only vehicle that gives Lotus variety. If they didn't have the V8, everyone would complain that Lotus couldn't produce anything other than lightweight vehicles. They're not just a company producing cars under the Lotus brand, they also help a huge number of other companies. If they could only make something light handle well, then they wouldn't particularly get much activity in that sector.

And there are more people who love the looks of the Elise/Exige than there are people who think it looks shite. It's called modern design ... without it Lotus would be accused of not being able to create new designs, much like Morgan had before the Aero 8 was released.

Also I've got another few words for you: Lotus Talbot ... considered one of the best performing hatchbacks and excellent fun. Lotus Vauxhall Carlton ... up until recently considered the king of 'wolfs in sheeps clothing' and saloons in general. They are sure as hell not light but they go by the principles of Lotus ... if it doesn't handle well, make it handle well.
    Modern design means you have options. I dislike the one they went with. It's just my opinion, it isn't like I am not a fan of change-I love TVR's current range. To my eyes the shape just doesn't work, it doesn't look like a lotus to me. The Elise S1 was much better, much more Lotus.

See, I like the V8 Esprit. For one thing they went with a small all alloy one to keep the weight down anyway, and turbocharging to keep the power up at the same time. Also, it looked fantastic.

i like aus cars like the 6.0L V8 Commodore they have 270kw and 530nm of tourqe
    Last edited by Holden rocks; 09-20-2006 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holden rocks
    i like aus cars like the 6.0L V8 Commodore they have 270kw and 530nm of tourqe
    Thank you for this moment of truth, but this thread is about Lotus, not about Holden. To talk about Holdens, please move here: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...splay.php?f=10
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Thread Information