Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 24 Hours of Le Mans, LMS and ALMS news.

Yeah, by running over their own front diffusers that should've have broken off in the first place. The Pugs would be just as liable for such damage if similar things happened to them.

Daily Sportscar also has run a piece, for those who have a subscription. It seems that the tub/mount breaking is what caused the accident, and the curbs aren't nearly as bad as those in some sections of Le Mans. It also said that Nic took about as big a ride as Gene did--they said that where Minassian went off that his Pug climbed over the guard rail.

And should I remind you that the Audi R8 would probably be nearly as fast as the diesels if it ran current tires and areo on it. When one considers that they were nearly running the same times in 2004 as they did in '02 with less power and downforce, they'd probably be running 3:20s now if they had the kind of power that the diesels had, which at one point they did.

And I think that all of this is the effect of the law of unintended consequences. The LMP1 rules were to slow the cars down through drag and such, but the cars made more downforce for the drag they had to carry, and giving what amounted to the same power (if not more) the LMP900s had in their '99-'02 heyday didn't help either.

Now we're back to 2003-'05 power levels, but with the areo being what it is and the wider tires on the Audi and Pug, the cars are cornering faster than ever.

Since both accidents were caused by some type of suspension failure (either a mount or tub breakage), one has to wonder if the Pug was designed adequately for such stresses? This is two cars destroyed in a couple of months time in similarly violent accidents with similar failures causing them. This has to be troubling Peugeot, especially if there are signs that this could be a chronic problem.

But Endurance-Info and DSC are saying that the accident was similar to Gene's big one in Dec., right down to the trigger being a suspension part or a tub mount letting go.
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

TBH its all speculative....if you ever designed and build something, you'll realize that you design for everything you can think of, and you always end up breaking something...thats why you test. The only thing you can hope for is that when you finally go to race, everything should have been broken has been broken....

The closer to limit you build and design something, and I am sure now they are doing it on a knife edge since the competition is much more intense, you have much less wiggle room for something to go wrong. With stuff like composite, which ultimately is the downfall of the technology is that it is not only PITA to manufacture, it is PITA to do it consistently, and when you are building 3-6 cars a year, the chances of each one to be identical is slim to none, and the chances of that to be EXACTLY what you designed is also very low....

Today its Peugeot, tomorrow it can be Audi, Wirth, or Aston.....if you are not breaking something, especially in testing, you are not pushing hard enough....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Mulsanne's Corner has a write up about the Pug accident--rules out tub failure but says that both of the big accidents that the 908 has had are suspension failure related.

However, the bigger point of the article is the fact that it addresses rumors/issues with the cars getting airborne in the accidents, and that things like the current floor design, the domed skid and the fin aren't cure-alls, but are intended to reduced the chances of such incidents under certain circumstances.
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chernaudi View Post
    Mulsanne's Corner has a write up about the Pug accident--rules out tub failure but says that both of the big accidents that the 908 has had are suspension failure related.

\
    your next sentence there could have been: "so all my speculations to the contrary were uncalled for"
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Mike says himself that the first accident (Gene's) was caused by a rear suspension collapse. Nic's off was probably caused by a similar issue, possibly at the front of the car, as an article on a French website reported that a suspension arm snapped.

And if one bothers to read Mike's article, he states why the suspension failures are disconcerting: If they happen at high speed, not only does the driver lose control of the car, but it can pitch the car in such a way that it can get airborne if it's going fast enough--fin or no fin.

And thing's aren't all gloom and doom--it wasn't a tub issue that caused the accident.

And a 908--and an engine from one--are supposed to be on display at the Geneva Motor Show, and it's rumored that Aston Martin will publically launch their new LMP1 there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chernaudi View Post

And a 908--and an engine from one--are supposed to be on display at the Geneva Motor Show, and it's rumored that Aston Martin will publically launch their new LMP1 there as well.
    I'll be able to tell you first hand about it, next Tuesday.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

New 908 at Geneva--the Hybrid 4.

It probably won't race this year, but is supposed to be testing by month's end and might run at the LM test day.

LE MANS: Peugeot 908 Hybrid4 Unveil - Speed.com Galleries

Sharp paint job....I think they are making up for lost time when 908 FAP didn't have a nice paintjob....lol
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I'm so tired of all the hybrid bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    I'm so tired of all the hybrid bullshit.
    It works though. The GT3 R Hybrid proved it in Zhuhai last year. The fact that it was the fastest GT car, had 1 stop less than anyone else in GT and finished 6th(or something high like that) overall sorta proves the point of the technology, they also mentioned that with the GT3 R Hybrid Porsche can run their "sprint" brake package with thinner disc and pad in an endurance race...And that was with the gimmicky push-button activation. The Peugeot is designed to run it seamlessly without the push-to-pass thing, so it should in theory be more optimized....

Faster car with more efficiency should be win-win....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I'm with hybrid technology like Ferrer is with paddle shift.

I don't care if it's faster or more efficient....I hate the way the whole automotive scene is heading.

Look at all the crap at Geneva and other recent shows. bleh

I think I've read somewhere this car will actually race this year. If that's the case, I'm not sure if Audi was really expecting it.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Dagys from Speed says that the 908 Hybrid probably won't race this year, and Peugeot themselves when they launched the car (standard 908) said it probably won't race until 2012. One may make the LM test day, but I doubt it'll turn a wheel in anger, as testing will only really start late this month.

And then there's the AMR-One. It's got an inline 6 with twin turbos and will adopt the Audi/Peugeot/Acura edict of wide front tires/wheels. Personally, I have my doubts about the straight 6 engine (rigidity compared to a V6, which is shorter and maybe lighter, and a V8, which is just as long or a bit shorter but potentially lighter), and I don't think that stylistically that the slab-sides match with the front or rear of the car.

Mike from Mulsanne's Corner has written that he suspects that those lines come from the fact that it appears that the AMR-One was desinged largely with CFD, instead of CFD mixed with windtunnel testing--both scale and full size as Audi and Peugeot have done. Of course, the early Audi R15 was junk at LM because of being a draggy, high downforce car and Henri Pescarolo was able to get a lot out of his cars with little in the way of windtunnel testing, let alone CFD.

An other interesting general point that Mike has brought up is that the current cars will have downforce comparable to the last gen cars with less drag, espeically the Audi R18 (reported in a German motorsport magazine to have 10% less drag than the 2010 R15 with similar downforce numbers) and I don't think that the 908 has that much less downforce than the old 908, but maybe more effiecent at generating that.

Of course, the R18 and the 908 are closed cars, and the AMR-One is an open car like the R15 was (and the AMR-One's cockpit, steering wheel and being RDH aside, has a similar cockpit layout).

I'm just really put off at the slab sides, as the R18 and the 908 look like works of art from the side, and appear to be more aero effiecent.

And also, to answer the question about a hybrid Audi, Audi Sport said that the R18 was designed for KERS, but, like Peugeot, likely won't race with it this year.
    Last edited by Chernaudi; 03-02-2011 at 06:32 AM.

Aston AMR One.

Aston Martin Racing announces today its plans for the new season including the unveiling of a new ground-up developed LMP1 race car, the AMR-One, as well as confirming the driver line-up and planned race programme.

The Gulf Liveried Aston Martin AMR-One is a new open-top LMP1 race car featuring a 2.0 litre turbocharged six cylinder direct injection petrol engine which has been developed for a new bespoke carbon fibre chassis designed and manufactured by Aston Martin Racing.

Based on the new regulations for 2011 instigated by the Le Mans governing body; the ACO, Aston Martin Racing has chosen to change tack this year in designing an open cockpit car. In line with the new 2011 rules, the AMR-One features the new blade-fin and has a significantly down-sized engine in keeping with the championship’s efficiency focused regulations. Power is fed to the rear wheels via a six-speed transverse semi automatic pneumatic shift, Xtrac racing gearbox.

A total of six AMR-Ones will be built, with the factory team running one car in the Intercontinental Le Mans Cup (ILMC) which includes the famous 24 Hours of Le Mans and two cars at selected events. The AMR-One is linked to Aston Martin’s ultimate design and engineering showcase; the road going One-77; both of which share similar philosophies featuring carbon fibre monocoques. Aston Martin’s in-house design team worked closely with the engineers at Aston Martin Racing to find the optimum balance between aesthetics and aerodynamics.

Aston Martin Chief Executive, Dr. Ulrich Bez said: “Aston Martin’s heritage is deeply rooted in endurance sports car racing, so in 2011, we take the next step demonstrating that a small team using advanced design and engineering intelligence will be agile and competitive.”

The driver line up for 2011 will consist of Darren Turner (GB) Stefan Mücke (D) and another driver yet to be announced, who will join the team piloting the 007 car. Adrian Fernandez (MX), Andy Meyrick (GB) and Harold Primat (CH) will be teaming up to drive the 009 car.

Aston Martin Racing Chairman, David Richards said: “George and the team have been extremely busy over the winter months and they have been working day and night to produce what is not only a stunningly beautiful race car but one which will use the new ACO regulations to best effect. “Just like the road cars, the AMR-One has been elegantly engineered where simplicity runs throughout to produce what we expect to be a competitive and reliable endurance racer.”

Team Principal George Howard-Chappell said: “We have chosen to run with a six cylinder turbocharged engine because we believe this offers the best potential within the petrol engine regulations. With the ACO’s commitment to effectively balance the performance of petrol and diesel Le Mans entrants – our hopes are high that we’ll see the closest racing yet in the premiere LMP1 category.

Subject to initial testing, it is hoped that a single AMR-One will make its race debut at the 59th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring on 16-19 March 2011. It is expected that Aston Martin Racing will contend the full Intercontinental Le Mans Cup with its seven rounds in the United States (Sebring and Petit Le Mans), Belgium (Spa), France (Le Mans), Italy (Imola), England (Silverstone) and China (TBC).
    The AMR-One is expected to test for the first time in early March.

Aston Martin AMR-ONE LMP1 Car Technical Specification
    Chassis – Aston Martin Carbon Fibre Monocoque ‘open’ style construction, load bearing engine with steel frame to help rigidity.

Configuration – Mid engine rear wheel drive

Engine – In line 6 cylinder, direct injected, turbocharged and intercooled DOHC Petrol engine, 4 valves per cylinder. Approx 540bhp, 6 speed Xtrac

Gearbox – Bespoke 6 speed, transverse, semi automatic pneumatic shift, Xtrac racing gearbox

Suspension – All round double wishbone, push-rod activated Koni dampers with third spring/damper, front and rear. Front Anti roll bar

Steering – Rack and Pinion with electrical power assistance

Aerodynamics - to current LMP1 regulations developed via CFD in conjunction with Totalsim, including latest regulation fin.

Electronics – Full Cosworth electronics systems including engine ECU, data system and telemetry. Full military spec wiring harness and connectors.

Wheels and Tyres – Michelin tyres, 36/71 x 18 front and 37/71 x 18 rear mounted on TWS forged magnesium wheels.

Brakes – Brembo six pot calipers fitted front and rear, Carbon 380mm diameter front and 355mm diameter rear discs with carbon pads

Dimensions:
    Length 4640mm
    Width 1990mm
    Wheelbase 2930mm
    Minimum weight 900Kg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dino Scuderia; 03-02-2011 at 06:39 AM.

Direct injection might be interesting.....I think in general I'll be interested to see how this stacks up with the Formula Nippon derived units in Honda, Nissan and Toyota....if this turns out to be the best of the rest(they'll have work to do to beat HPD I think) it might put an anchor in the plans of the Japanese, as the cost for developing a bespoke engine package for LMPs will probably alert the bean counters...

The slab side harkens back to the R10-style car though....almost kinda make you wonder if they are doing something odd like R15 did with trying to utilize more "in-body" flow. The fact that it has a inline 6 also kinda put me in that line of thought, since it'll be relatively narrow and allows for more space on its side. Though I agree the rigidity might be suspect, the write up also mentioned its reinforced with steel bracing, much in the way I am sure like the inline 4 cars in P2 before.

Considering HPD/Wirth are also CFD derived car with little to no wind tunnel work, I think its just a matter of how mature their model is. In this case AMR being new I think it might not be up with HPD in their modeling yet. Wirth itself is struggling with it in F1 since open wheel is a different beast vs the sports cars, hence the relatively "simple" look of Virgin's F1 cars...Who knows, maybe AMR knows something we don't...

In other news, I find this interesting:
    GT Academy Winner Lucas Ordoñez in 24 Hours of Le Mans

Winner of the original GT Academy in Europe will now drive in ILMC....unbelievable, for someone who wins a video game contest...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information