Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: What are some countries that have never lost a war?

Somewhat, but it was a new technique. By '45 the "Abbeville Boys" were in 262s, thats pretty much guaranteed death...

i do remember hearing an anecdote that the 262's had a long spool time (whats the word? takes awhile to spool up the engines to be able to take off? warmup? idk), so ground attack craft like hawker typhoons and the P-47 could lurk at low level around german airfields and catch the 262's when they landed/trying to take off
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

That was how the Allies eventually learnt to deal with them. They would wait until the aircraft were returning to base, or taking off, and then attack them. The German reaction to this was to have dedicated 'corridors' for the craft to come down. These 'corridors' were then covered by anti-aircraft guns as well as other squadrons of propeller-driven fighters. In the end this was more than the German forces could maintain.
    Last edited by Birdman; 04-20-2008 at 05:05 AM.
    "Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb!"
    "Life is short, drive fast!" - Lamborghini
    "How's that for a slice of fried gold?"
    "I'll take the case!" - Harvey Birdman

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    did it work? i don't remember too much about it.
    Yes it did. They improved the bombers acuracy to make it viable to attack strategic targets effectivly. I might have to go and find a book I spotted in my uni's library on the mosquitos. It had a whole chapter on this.
    "Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb!"
    "Life is short, drive fast!" - Lamborghini
    "How's that for a slice of fried gold?"
    "I'll take the case!" - Harvey Birdman

The Mosquito's marking targets were called Pathfinders and the technique was highly successful and conintued till very recent times -- The A10 has been used as a Pathfinder.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Yeah, that was about the ONLY way to take down a 262 quickly, when it was taking off, thats what the Brits did with the Spitfires. The Mosquitos were badass, besides being used as pathfinders they were used as fighters, fast attack, bombers, the lot, all that technology and the best plane of the war was made of wood...

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax13 View Post
    Yeah, that was about the ONLY way to take down a 262 quickly, when it was taking off, thats what the Brits did with the Spitfires. The Mosquitos were badass, besides being used as pathfinders they were used as fighters, fast attack, bombers, the lot, all that technology and the best plane of the war was made of wood...
    ...and cloth.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax13 View Post
    whispering death wasn't it called? or was that the beaufighter...whichever, both awesome planes.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    ...and cloth.
    apparently the hurricanes were easier to repair than spitfires because you didn't have to deal with metal work haha..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

The Spitfires were super advanced for their time, the later models i mean. Im just a Mosquito fan because it was underestimated by the enemy...

Ok long question so the answer will be long. Russia lost in the Sitka (Alaska) the same way the USA lost Vietnam won tactical victory but lost attrition. They also were defeated by the Japanese, Lost the Crimean War, Lost in Afghanistan, Their flare ups with the USA ended like this kicked out of Oregon, lost at Vladisvostok lost battles in Archangel but can say the Americans there fought on the Czars side the Czar lost. The Soviets dominated the Americans in cold war dog fights in the air but were fairly neutralized on the seas.

Finland (tough tough nation) but did fight alongside the Axis in world War II

Scotland defeated by England

The Swiss had losses during the crusades

Canada lost the French and Indian War and the American Revolution

Australia lost the first Boer war

Iceland has surrendered voluntarily

really every nation on earth has had losses except the list below

Israel we will see if their draw against Lebanon goes down in history as a perceived loss

East Timor thus far the only war they have ever fought was for independence they won so 1-0

this leaves psuedo nations like Sealand who although no one recognizes them they have forcefully defended their borders

Coquille Indians who signed treaties without a fight but have likely lost pre recorded battles.

so in a nutshell one legitimate nation can claim a legitimate undefeated record that is East Timor

Quote Originally Posted by C_Sunder
    Canada lost the French and Indian War and the American Revolution
    The Seven Year's war (French and Indian War) was between France and England. Canada was not established as a independent nation until July 1, 1867. It also didn't lose the American Revolution as that was between USA and England.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

"How to Use a Laptop Keyboard Mouse From Bed" wins the award for most remarkable OT threadjack by a spammer yet.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    "How to Use a Laptop Keyboard Mouse From Bed" wins the award for most remarkable OT threadjack by a spammer yet.
    with the additional option "while having sex"
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Keep your finger on the middle mouse wheel...

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Keep your finger on the middle mouse wheel...
    Now it really is going off topic.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Thread Information