Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Of the Most Overrated Cars Around.

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    What do you mean?
    I mean all of those people who tell you how good rear wheel drive is and how crap front wheel drive is but they've actually never driven a rear wheel drive car. That drives me up the wall.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    anything Honda/Acura and Toyota are definetly overrated

this thread is overrated.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I mean all of those people who tell you how good rear wheel drive is and how crap front wheel drive is but they've actually never driven a rear wheel drive car. That drives me up the wall.
    Quite apart from never hearing anyone say that, I don't understand it either...how would they know / care?
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

I hate to add to this thread, but I just have to get it out of my system.

It was was mentioned a few times before. But I think these stupid hybrid/ electric whack jobs, that people are so gaga over. Especially these small little compact cars like the Smart cars etc. Are WAY OVERATED!

I laughed at these new tests they did that showed how bad these little cars are in crashes compared to sedans etc. I mean isn't it obvious that those little cars are going to suck in a crash. I get that they had to test them, it made me laugh at the people who where actually surprised at the results. How could you not know they were going to not perform very well in a crash? Isn't it common sense that a very tiny car will be destroyed in a crash?

Plus I don't see how they are efficient when they can only carry 2 passengers at like 40 miles per gallon. When a Sedan can carry up to 5 and still get just as much as like 35 miles per gallon or so. So your carrying 3 more passengers and not much of a difference in fuel savings.

God it just drives me mad to see people with these tiny cars and think they are actually helping the planet etc. If you want to help the planet, plant a damn tree or something. Most cars are efficient now, so you don't really need a tiny car to help the environment.

Sorry for my rant, but it feels good to get it out in the open now.
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

Quite apart from never hearing anyone say that, I don't understand it either...how would they know / care?
    You've never seen or heard people despise front wheel drive cars because they are front wheel drive and praise rear wheel drive cars just because they are rear wheel drive?

I'm sure here in the forums there are many examples of that. And it's because officially front wheel drive is boring and rear wheel drive sporty.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
    I laughed at these new tests they did that showed how bad these little cars are in crashes compared to sedans etc. I mean isn't it obvious that those little cars are going to suck in a crash. I get that they had to test them, it made me laugh at the people who where actually surprised at the results. How could you not know they were going to not perform very well in a crash? Isn't it common sense that a very tiny car will be destroyed in a crash?
    It depends on how the car was designed and which materials were used to build it. Almost all new small cars are now safer than large cars from the past (excluding Chinese / Indian / Russian etc. cars...and the G-Wiz!!!).

Plus I don't see how they are efficient when they can only carry 2 passengers at like 40 miles per gallon. When a Sedan can carry up to 5 and still get just as much as like 35 miles per gallon or so. So your carrying 3 more passengers and not much of a difference in fuel savings.
    Go and stand near a major road and count the numbers of passengers in the cars that go past. Most car journeys are made with only one person in the vehicle...so you could be driving a Corvette or a Suburban - it wouldn't matter.

You've never seen or heard people despise front wheel drive cars because they are front wheel drive and praise rear wheel drive cars just because they are rear wheel drive?
    I understand what you mean now...and yes, I have.

I gererally prefer RWD cars - I won't be considering a FWD car next time I go to buy one...but I wouldn't buy a crap car just because it was RWD either!

I'm sure here in the forums there are many examples of that. And it's because officially front wheel drive is boring and rear wheel drive sporty.
    I myself have probably made lots of comments about FWD being boring in most cases...though even I know that there are plenty of exciting FWD cars.

It depends on how the car was designed and which materials were used to build it. Almost all new small cars are now safer than large cars from the past (excluding Chinese / Indian / Russian etc. cars...and the G-Wiz!!!).
    True, but I was not talking about older cars. I mean cars of today. You can't compare old cars to new ones technology wise or material wise as they are so different. I was talking about the small cars and 'large' cars of today. But I can't argue with you about the cars from China etc.

Go and stand near a major road and count the numbers of passengers in the cars that go past. Most car journeys are made with only one person in the vehicle...so you could be driving a Corvette or a Suburban - it wouldn't matter.
    While that is true, it was not the point of what I was saying. The fact is that sedans 'can' carry more passengers, while the small cars are limited to two or 4 if you squeeze them in like a sardine, but they are mostly built to carry only 2 people. Plus the sedan can carry more since it has a trunk to put things into. The Smart car is basically just for carrying 2 people. How is that efficient?

As for the Corvette and Suburban, that is a different story all together, since they are built for what they do and are not made out to be efficient or fuel friendly. (Well, some are!)

Whereas the small cars are advertised as effiecent etc. Which they are, but I'd say Sedans are more efficient (For the market they are in. Corvette etc. Are not in the same market as sedans or smart cars.) Since they carry more people, and storage space etc. For a little less fuel mileage as a small car.
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

I hate to add to this thread, but I just have to get it out of my system.

It was was mentioned a few times before. But I think these stupid hybrid/ electric whack jobs, that people are so gaga over. Especially these small little compact cars like the Smart cars etc. Are WAY OVERATED!

God it just drives me mad to see people with these tiny cars and think they are actually helping the planet etc. If you want to help the planet, plant a damn tree or something. Most cars are efficient now, so you don't really need a tiny car to help the environment.

Sorry for my rant, but it feels good to get it out in the open now.
    I never read people are dying in small cars. And in this particular case, it isn't the Smart to be unsafe, but the usual mid-large sedan/suv to be overrated.

also, I doubt you can get 35 mpg while seating 5 people (considering 35 is the figure for the car in standard conditions, probably).
    The new Smart from this point of view is worst than the old, on the other hand people wanted it to be larger, and I doubt the Americans would've bought it with the old smaller engine.
    besides, the new Smart gets 54,7 mpg and 48 mpg (petrol models, 45 and 52 kW respectively) and 71,2 mpg for the diesel one (33 kW).
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

- I agree with the VW's and the Audis.. - good cars, but overpriced..
    - new Bentleys (Continental, Flying Spur) - finally just a tuned up VW Phaeton
    - Bugatti Veyron - smashing performance with too much luxury or too much performance with smashing luxury
    - and finally, I've got a new name in this list: the Skyline GT-Rs - an awesome car if it's tuned, but why needs a car to be tuned to be awesome....?!

Anything with an 1.8T or vtec.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    They are boring as batshit, but they, especially on these forums, are underrated.
    They provide cheap reliable transportation to the masses, and they do it well.
    Though that might not be an enthusiast's wet dream, it provides the transportation module that, I'd say, about 90% of car buyers want.
    The only reason that 90% of people don't drive them is their perceived lack of prestige and (a very apparent) lack of style on most.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

The thing is...the 3-Series blows most rivals (in the UK market at least) out of the water for its mix of driving pleasure, efficiency and performance.

I know the car is spoiled by some who drive them because of the badge, but I personally couldn't care less if it had a Skoda badge on the front. Where else can you get a car that size that will do 0-60 in less than 8 seconds but still return 45-50mpg average and cost you a sensible amount in taxes? (320d)

Granted - that's a diesel (diesel costing more per gallon) and I'm measuring using UK gallons, but it's still more efficient and has better performance than direct rivals that also use derv.

The other thing that's crucial to me: RWD. There's only the Lexus IS (drives worse) and Mercedes C Class (comparable chassis but thirsty engines) that also offer that in a small saloon these days.
    MMK, I'll agree its a fine car, but the A4 has about a 40 times better interior, much more stable, better brakes, better ride, overall, it feels more solid. I think the Audi looks about 23455459785 x 10^4 better then any BMW model, especially the 3.

Now in the UK you may certainly get better mileage out of the 3 but in the US where diesels are only now coming into play, most cars are compared based on overall looks, overall ability, and value. In most the subgroups of these categories the 3 loses. Yes its fast, but thats about it. Also the IS and the A4 trump it in braking and handling.

Anyway, still it's a great car. My dad has had two M3s which the E36 was great and indestructible, the E46 was great except it fell apart and so it was replaced with one of the most overrated and still underrated cars of all time, the C2S.

Quote Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
    I say DIE to anyone who said Ferraris, take it from from an owner.... They are (especially Scuderia), some of the most awesome cars around. The Scud and 599 put anything to shame. Lambos are overrate, and no skill is required to drive one as the run 4wd systems. My dad has driven a lot of other cars, from 911 to turbos, and nothing can compare to Ferraris
    I have to agree on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    I don't think so
    Last edited by Black Edition; 04-15-2009 at 05:25 PM.
    Nothing to say...

Thread Information