Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is it just me or are honda's underpowered?

is it just me or are honda's underpowered?

i was reading a review of the new TSX while pretending to be working and something hit me...honda vehicles are underpowered.

look at the TSX, its supposed to be an alleged luxury car and the top of the line version (30,000$) packs a measly 201 horsepower.

look at the TL, its a midsize luxury sedan and it costs in the high 30,000$ and it only has 270hp (which is a much better deal that the tsx) but compare that to a CTS which for the same price gets you 304hp and once again the honda is underpowered.

The RL which is acura's flag ship only has 300 hp. compare that with other flagships (7-series, A8, S-class) and the acura comes up waaay short. you can even compare it to middle of the line cars like the CTS, 5-series, E class, C class, 335, ect.. and once again it comes up short.

and of course look at the discontinued nsx. that car was waaaaay underpowered compared to its competition.

so what gives? why do people buy acura's when it seems like everyone else offers so much more for the money.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Honda's always been underpowered and extremely conservative in the power department. Nothing new about that. They still make good products though.

Was it a manual or an automatic?

Underpowered by what definition? Unable to move their own mass? No, obviously not.

What do they require masses of power for? Are they part-time drag cars? Why exactly is more than 300bhp necessary in any saloon?

Are they underpowered? Or is everything else overpowered?

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    and of course look at the discontinued nsx. that car was waaaaay underpowered compared to its competition.
    Honda, and all other major Japanese manufacturers for that matter, can't really be criticised for that. They were bound by a "gentleman's agreement" to limit power to 280PS in all vehicles to avoid getting involved in some crazy power war. Obviously as the power wars between their European rivals got increasingly silly the Japanese manufacturers eventually had to do something to compete and got rid of the agreement fairly recently.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

honda excels at using what power they have...a concept wasted on Americans/american companies.
    the NSX remained competitive with it's low power output because it could put every bit of power down...
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

i agree. honda engines are great but they take too long to up power. R&D needs help to keep up with competition!
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

You know if you put too much power on a front wheel drive car, that it will torque steer like a motherf***er?

Negative Gearing?

nah not underpowered

HONDA have been overgearing their cars since the 1970's

is a definite company policy and is meant to give better driving smoothness and NVH qualities

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    You know if you put too much power on a front wheel drive car, that it will torque steer like a motherf***er?
    Uneven driveshafts/ suspension/ tires create torque steer, not the engine power.
    For some more info:
    Torque steering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And the gearing makes up for it in hondas. The new civic Si has a 4.765 final drive. 0_o
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Honda's always been underpowered and extremely conservative in the power department. Nothing new about that. They still make good products though.
    I agree. Honda is very conservative. The S2000 was them letting their hair down and everybody said the car looks boring. Also despite the success of the NSX they made no major modifications to it during the car's lifetime and they seem reluctant to even talk about bringing it back; the NSX is like something humiliating they did in college.

Hey, it's slow, but they're good.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    The RL which is acura's flag ship only has 300 hp. compare that with other flagships (7-series, A8, S-class) and the acura comes up waaay short. you can even compare it to middle of the line cars like the CTS, 5-series, E class, C class, 335, ect.. and once again it comes up short.
    How do those other cars compare in weight to the Honda/Acuras?

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    the NSX remained competitive with it's low power output because it could put every bit of power down...
    See also the 911.

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    I agree. Honda is very conservative. The S2000 was them letting their hair down and everybody said the car looks boring. Also despite the success of the NSX they made no major modifications to it during the car's lifetime and they seem reluctant to even talk about bringing it back; the NSX is like something humiliating they did in college.
    The lack of exciting cars can be attributed to the death of Soichiro Honda. He used to push the development of performance models at his own insistence over the protestations of the accountants, like with the RC30 and 45 Superbikes.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    How do those other cars compare in weight to the Honda/Acuras?

See also the 911.

The lack of exciting cars can be attributed to the death of Soichiro Honda. He used to push the development of performance models at his own insistence over the protestations of the accountants, like with the RC30 and 45 Superbikes.
    Yup, I agree with the both of you. Mr. Honda was a genius. No doubt, with his death, the company's aim has been thrown off. But they're working on it.

I don't think they are underpowered. They just follow a different approach, which is perfectly fine. Also I wouldn't define 190bhp underpowered. Just less thatn the rivals.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information