Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top Five Engines of All Time

what about the 351 cu in Cleveland V8 used in the GTHO phase3
    fastest 4 door sedan for its time

iam sure that it sliped fpv_gtho's mind

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Were all 4 with the 289? Out of the 4 versions Ford made, only 2 had the engine but i havent heard how that reflected on LeMans
    well, all gt40s used the 289s, a lot of people gets confused that they used the 428, the production and race cars never did, i believe one prototype was fitted with a 427 and that's as far as it is, the big block was too big, too heavy, wasn't that much better in performace either, the 289 could rev higher, more accessable power at peak.

its true that the 289 fitted in stock fords are very different to the gt40 but the core is the same, only heads and intake and other parts been different, but essentially still the same.
    '67 Shelby Mustang GT500 "Eleanor"
    '06 Honda Accord

I havn't heard anyone mention the Rover K?? Especially the 1.8 VVC?
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

A-series BMC engine
    SBC
    429 as said before
    Ford 427, 615hp w/ one 4bbl carb
    396, powered many chevy cars back in the day
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by KELSA
    well, all gt40s used the 289s, a lot of people gets confused that they used the 428, the production and race cars never did, i believe one prototype was fitted with a 427 and that's as far as it is, the big block was too big, too heavy, wasn't that much better in performace either, the 289 could rev higher, more accessable power at peak.

its true that the 289 fitted in stock fords are very different to the gt40 but the core is the same, only heads and intake and other parts been different, but essentially still the same.
    the Le Mans GT40s were 6.9l and 4.9l ( it was 2 wins for each )
    You guys can decide which of these are which using american inches I just know the Le Mans numbers
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Porsche 917/30 CanAm
    5.4l air-cooled tubocharged 12-cylinder boxermotor 1100hp

Quote Originally Posted by KELSA

Wrong
    The MarkI and III used 289c.i. and Mark II and IV used 427 or 7.0l

I would hate to name just 5 at the exclusion of so many other worthy motors.

Just a few:
    Offy turbos. As was said before they ruled Indy for 30 years. In peak turbo form they were handling more boost than the turbo F1 motors (it helped that they had an integrated cylinder and head so there were no head gaskets to blow). Peak power with high boost was somewhere around 1000hp.

Ford-Cosworth DFV: 12 F1 championships and some Indy victories as well.

Small Block Chevy: Cheep power for the masses. This actually applies to many US V8s. They may not have been the (fill in criteria here) but they were cost effective.

Renault F1 motors: As I recall these guys were the first to introduce turbos in the late 70's and pneumatic valves when the motors returned to NA (or was it before they returned to NA?).

Ford Kent I4: Not because it was really special but because it powered the Formula Ford.

GE90, GE-J5P: The GE90 is currently the most powerful turbojet on the market. Derivative versions of this motor should hit near 110,000 lb of thrust. The GE-J5P is the most powerful afterburning turbofan I know of. We had one at GE's Evendale, OH facility. I could stand almost upright in the afterburner. The engine produced 60,000 lb of thrust with afterburners.

Pratt and Whitney F1: As far as I know this is the most powerful liquid fueled engine ever used on a vehicle. It produced 1.5 million pounds of thrust. Five were used on the first stage of the Saturn 5 rocket. The Space Shuttle's solid rocket boosters produce even more at 3,300,000 lb of thrust but I don't think they can be throttled.

(Yes the last two are automotive only in that some one will claim some person strapped them to a car in the desert and drove right into a wall at 9 billion miles an hour).

S52- E46 M3 engine, performance engine of the year many times.
    2JZ GTE- Supra engine, long a benchmark of japanese power potential and over-engineering.
    LS1- powers so damn many fast things these days.
    13B- made rotary popular and viable in performance.

5th is a toss up between 4G63b, RB26DETT, E30 M3's S14, E39 M5's S52, 1UZ-FE, Porsche's twin turbo flat sixes, XR6Turbo's Barra 240T, The new BMW twin turbo diesel, The whole Honda B series, 4AGE and finally the thing they slung into the Cerbera speed 12 because I laughed when I first read about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    the Le Mans GT40s were 6.9l and 4.9l ( it was 2 wins for each )
    You guys can decide which of these are which using american inches I just know the Le Mans numbers
    yeah after my post i've done some further research, i stand corrected.

still don't change my mind about the 289 tho
    '67 Shelby Mustang GT500 "Eleanor"
    '06 Honda Accord

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    What about the Ford DLV engine that found itself into the 1960's F3L - getting 350km/h from a 3litre!!?? That was an Euorpean engine to be admired I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    Small. Block. Chevy.

Also the 343 hp 3.2l BMW m3 engine and the 250hp S2000 engine.
    Imma have to go with the small block as well. I believe it first came out in 1955 and has one more races than any other. It changed history. The small block has powered more winning race cars and won more championships than any other engine in American motorsports. Without this engine, racing and aftermarket would not be where it is today.

Quote Originally Posted by Suka
    I havn't heard anyone mention the Rover K?? Especially the 1.8 VVC?
    Still a class leader...
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Probably not yet mentioned but some of my favorites are:

Duesenberg 420cid DOHC Straight 8 - complex, finicky but incredible for its era
    Doble Steamer - hard to argue against a 1920s passenger car with 1,000 ft/lbs torque
    Citroen 2CV - needle roller bearings, air cooled hemi = durable budget-brilliance
    Chrysler's Slant Six - a very tough, likeable & long-lived engine (225cid)
    Standard Vanguard 4cyl - only motor I know that powered a popular tractor .. plus won its class @ Le Mans!

Veyron Engine? No &^$@ing way it belongs on a best engines list.

Quality of engines in my eyes is based on weight, reliablility, and efficiency-per-amount-of-power. This is what really takes skill to engineer.

Power per litre? Cool, but it doesn't really matter.

12 Cylinder: BMW S70/2

8 Cylinder: Chevy LS1/2

6 Cylinder: Toyota 2JZ/can't decide

4 Cylinder: Can't decide.

Thread Information