Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: McLaren MP4-12C

The McLaren will have the edge on both Ferraris and Lamborghinis in terms of straight line speed because of its massive torque advantage.

As far as corners are concerned, assuming they all use the same tyres, the McLaren has the weight advantage and the chassis advantage, but one shouldn't rule out Ferrari.

In terms of top speed the McLaren looks more streamlined, whereas both Ferraris and Lamborghinis are styled to look good, not go fast. Taking into account that McLaren has more HP, it certainly will max higher. After all the F1 had "only" 627 hp
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Ron Dennis on the MP4-12C and the future of McLaren Automotive:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZg_R33Mnqo"]YouTube - McLaren MP4-12C with Ron Dennis[/ame]

...and Antony Sheriff, McLaren Automotive's Managing Director:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaTthgLSVIE"]YouTube - McLaren MP4-12C with Antony Sheriff[/ame]

>8^)
    ER

I don't know if it's just the skill of Autocar's cameramen, but I am starting to notice some of the better styling details. The wing mirrors are a very very nice detail, and the rear end is very well executed.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
    The McLaren will have the edge on both Ferraris and Lamborghinis in terms of straight line speed because of its massive torque advantage.

As far as corners are concerned, assuming they all use the same tyres, the McLaren has the weight advantage and the chassis advantage, but one shouldn't rule out Ferrari.

In terms of top speed the McLaren looks more streamlined, whereas both Ferraris and Lamborghinis are styled to look good, not go fast. Taking into account that McLaren has more HP, it certainly will max higher. After all the F1 had "only" 627 hp
    The Ferrari may be fast, but to me, it certainly does not look good. In that regards, although the MP4-12C may be bland, but at least it's not borderline ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    The Ferrari may be fast, but to me, it certainly does not look good. In that regards, although the MP4-12C may be bland, but at least it's not borderline ugly.
    i think the exact opposite. the ferrari looks very contemporary, and i dont think it looks bad. and ferraris havent been pretty for a long time, so it's almost okay. the mac looks contemporary about 10 years ago. if the F1 was immediately followed by this, it would make sense. but not 15 years on.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    i think the exact opposite. the ferrari looks very contemporary, and i dont think it looks bad. and ferraris havent been pretty for a long time, so it's almost okay. the mac looks contemporary about 10 years ago. if the F1 was immediately followed by this, it would make sense. but not 15 years on.
    The thing is, in my opinion of course, the Ferrari will age extremely quickly. The McLaren just has those good looking, pleasant lines that will continue to look good 50 years from now. To me, the styling of the Ferrari's now is kind of like the styling of the Countach- you see it and you immediately recognize it as from the 80's.

Ferrari rarely ages quickly...and 458 is no exception....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    The thing is, in my opinion of course, the Ferrari will age extremely quickly. The McLaren just has those good looking, pleasant lines that will continue to look good 50 years from now. To me, the styling of the Ferrari's now is kind of like the styling of the Countach- you see it and you immediately recognize it as from the 80's.
    The designers at McLaren prolly crapped their pants when they saw the 458 and how much more exotic and contemporary it's design is than their early 2000's Hyundai design.

I think these days subtle and restrained are good, not bad, attributes.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    But then again you are an odd duck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    But for a car of this nature?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    But for a car of this nature?
    Next to bangled BMWs, grilled Audis, flame surfaced superminis and ugly Ferraris?

Yes. IT may not be the best looking car in the world, or very striking to look at. But I prefer some good old fashioned good looks than being moderni just for the sake of being modern and different.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    But then again you are an odd duck.
    Then that makes two odd ducks.

Quack quack.

The design direction for me is a correct one, because as Ron Dennis pointed out, they are trying to build a brand. In the same mindset that the design language of all Audis is similar, McLaren tried to convey the F1 with the design of the new car. Successful or not it depends, but the strategic decision for me is correct: Creating a design language for all future McLarens to follow.

Now, the McLaren F1 used a specific design language that did not utilise big spoilers and extended wheel arches etc. The same mindset is intentionally used with this car, because of the reasons described above, for some successfully for others not.

Bottom line:
    Could the F1 be bettered design-wise? Think not
    Could the MP4-12 be bettered? Easily
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Thread Information