Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class (W218) 2010-

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Passat CC it is, then.
    No way.

And not only that, the idea, the concept are important. The exterior is just part of them.
    So... the concept of it being a large, four door car, with back seats that are uncomfortable and impractical for adults?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    So... the concept of it being a large, four door car, with back seats that are uncomfortable and impractical for adults?
    Exactly.

Still need more explanations?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Exactly.

Still need more explanations?
    No.

I have nothing more to say on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    No.

I have nothing more to say on the matter.
    You seem to prefer the E-Class. Do you like it? Do you like the Maserati Quattroporte? Or do you prefer the Porsche Panamera?
    Visca Catalunya!

You seem to prefer the E-Class. Do you like it? Do you like the Maserati Quattroporte? Or do you prefer the Porsche Panamera?
    I am not preferential to Mercedes-Benz on the whole.

In a CLS/E-Class dynamic, I can't see why I'd purchase the CLS. I despise the visuals of the new E-Class however - I thought the old one was a proper car: simple, elegant, just great.

I was not keen on the last gen CLS's looks, and prefer this new generation, but if it came time for me to actually be in a position to buy either a new E-Class or new CLS (or old E-Class and old CLS), I can't see why I'd spend a many thousand dollar premium for a CLS (unless I learn something new about it that makes it amazing somehow).

I quite like the Quattroporte. The Panamera seems rather nice as well, however it is rather unattractive (yes, for the sake of rear headroom. I understand how this runs counter to my anti-CLS sentiments, but maybe they took ergonomics too far over design). I'd love to drive the QP and Panamera and see which I preferred.

The CLS is like art. Or like the Peugeot RCZ.

Its only purpose is itself. Objectively it's like less practical, worse aerodynamically E-Class Mercedes-Benz. But that's not the point. In these days of hybrids, blueconeticmotion, efficiency, emission figures and safety ratings a car doesn't really care about any of these is a refreshing and welcoming addition to the motoring world.

And that's exactly what the Mercedes-Benz CLS is. All heart, not head.
    Visca Catalunya!

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    I like the design a lot personally, I think it's very elegant. All except the tail lights. The way they sweep downwards towards the center gives the illusion of the rear being lower than it already is, and with it being swept, it makes it look a little like a dog with it's tail tucked between its legs. Would have been better with the lights ending a little more squarely and maybe something to establish the top of the rear, like a red bar light or something.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

The CLS is like art. Or like the Peugeot RCZ.

Its only purpose is itself. Objectively it's like less practical, worse aerodynamically E-Class Mercedes-Benz. But that's not the point. In these days of hybrids, blueconeticmotion, efficiency, emission figures and safety ratings a car doesn't really care about any of these is a refreshing and welcoming addition to the motoring world.

And that's exactly what the Mercedes-Benz CLS is. All heart, not head.
    Do you have some figure for the aerodynamics?
    Besides, the RCZ is rather underwhelming in the flesh.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Do you have some figure for the aerodynamics?
    Besides, the RCZ is rather underwhelming in the flesh.
    According to the official figures, the Cx for the new E is 0,27 and for the CLS is 0,30.
    Visca Catalunya!

According to the official figures, the Cx for the new E is 0,27 and for the CLS is 0,30.
    Pretty interesting, would be curious to manage to compare equally the two cars, so same tires, same engine, same driver, same trip.
    I noticed far too many times emissions and mileage figures are the same for differently equipped versions of the same cars, while tires alone can make for a good difference. This time it would be helpful to get a good perspective on how much aerodynamics counts in real world situations.

As a matter of fact IIRC the E350 CGI has 205 tyres, while the CLS350 CGI has 225s. I'm sure this doesn't help.
    Visca Catalunya!

I see almost no point to this. It's only point was to be good looking, which it definitely is not.
    The previous CLS stood out from and was helped by the rest of Mercedes' hideous or boring range of vehicles. It looked even better because the in-house competition did not.
    Last edited by f6fhellcat13; 08-22-2010 at 02:43 PM.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

As a matter of fact IIRC the E350 CGI has 205 tyres, while the CLS350 CGI has 225s. I'm sure this doesn't help.
    Yeah, doesn't help at all.

At the moment I'm a bit skeptical about the front end, otherwise looks OK. Waiting to see it in the flesh, but I'm not holding my breath as of now.

and the coupe is 0,24 :P

I really like the new design. It may be much more polarizing than the old one (which will surely become a classic in some years), but it's also very unique in it's appearance (unlike it's competitor, the CC, which is simply a CLS copy with different headlights in my eyes. And the A7 which looks rather uninspired apart from the side profile). It may sound weird, but with it's detailed styling and massive appearance, it reminds me a bit of those 70's american cars. With less bling, of course.
    However, there is no logical argument why you should prefer a CLS to a regular E-Class. But you can argue that the CLS is one of the most unique appearances you see on the street. Even if there are numerous competitors now that have a very similar roof line, I still hold my breath everytime i see one. I hope Merc keeps building them. Because it is, as Ferrer said, an all heart no head car, which is very rare in the days of the eco crisis. Congratulation, Merc designers. I think you have just managed to set the CLS apart from it's competition once more.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Thread Information