Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you guys hate 1/4 racing and nascar

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    There you go, I've put some punctuation in there for you, but I still don't understand what "Billion any one?" means.
    I said this because F1 teams are spending dam close to a billion dollars a year.

That aside, I meant in terms of tickets. With F1 you pay a large ammount, but you get a lot of racing, a good few hours worth.

With Drag racing even if there are an awful lot of races you're still only going to have seen about 10 mins of actual racing at the end of the day.
    I guess you’ve never been to a drag race. Its one of the most competitive forms of racing in the world with the cars being side by side for most of the way. Winning is commonly a tenth of a second difference between cars.

Coming from you, that's pretty harsh.
    Glad we have a comedian on UCP

Got some actual figures for that?
    Do I need to its all over the internet 10's of billions of dollars each year.

Well, if the "guys on Fchat" said it, it must be true!
    Some of them fly over to Europe for the races and attend Nascar races here. But your right some one whose been to both events wouldnt know what there talking about.

Why doesn't who care more about their fans?

Who has all sorts of goodies?

Yes, F1 has that.
    Care to show me where you can buy one?

Err.. No shows?

Who didn't show?

All the teams went to all the races, and there were large crowds at every event.
    Every event are you forgetting SPA? Some tracks were even closing because they couldnt draw in as many people as they use to
    UCP biggest mustang lover

Quote Originally Posted by rev440

How many people do you see wearing a F1 shirt compared to a Nascar shirt what 50 to 1 come on.
    your in ohio. come on.
    You can call me scott.

Quote Originally Posted by scottie300z
    your in ohio. come on.
    Ohio is a pretty big state. Ive also traveled a bit and Ive only seen one Ferrari shirt ever and that was at the Detroit auto show.

So what exactly is the point of this thread? Are you sincerely interested in why people don't like NASCAR and/or drag racing, or were you looking for a stage on which to tell everybody they are wrong?

It is ludicrous to say Formula 1 (generally accepted as the pinnacle of motorsport the last say, 56 years) is only kept alive by the Monaco Grand Prix.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I guess you’ve never been to a drag race. Its one of the most competitive forms of racing in the world with the cars being side by side for most of the way. Winning is commonly a tenth of a second difference between cars.
    Which is exactly why it is a horrible spectator sport.

Every event are you forgetting SPA? Some tracks were even closing because they couldnt draw in as many people as they use to
    If you were actually in any way, shape or form in the 'know' about Formula 1, you'd know this last statement is complete bullshit. Formula 1 has tracks to choose from, who pay Bernie money to race there, so Bernie can set high standards. Spa did not meet these standards this year. It will be back next year.

Edit: Just to make sure you do not forget about Spa; Kimi Raikonen won the 2005 Belgian Grand Prix held at the Spa Francorchamps track. Every other Grand Prix on the calender was completed in normal, of course with the exception of the one in The States due to a poorly resurfaced track.
    Last edited by Wouter Melissen; 06-28-2006 at 10:02 AM.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

rev440, your argument about not seeing people sporting merchandise is pointless.

First of all, what does how much money people spend on merchandise have to do with how good a sport is? How much is spent on merchandise is more a measure of the performance of the marketing and promotional strategists then it is of the race team.

Secondly, you live in America. NASCAR is an American sport, so of course you are going to plenty of NASCAR merchandise over there. Here in the UK I can't remember ever seeing a piece of NASCAR merchandise. I wouldn't even know what it looked like. I have of course seen hundreds of F1 caps/t-shirts etc because it is a hundred times more popular in England (and everywhere else in the world bar the US) than NASCAR.

It's like saying "I see more Chicago Bulls merchandise in America than I see Manchester United shirts, therefore basketball is better/more popular than soccer." It's a redundant argument.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    So what exactly is the point of this thread? Are you sincerely interested in why people don't like NASCAR and/or drag racing, or were you looking for a stage on which to tell everybody they are wrong?

It is ludicrous to say Formula 1 (generally accepted as the pinnacle of motorsport the last say, 56 years) is only kept alive by the Monaco Grand Prix.
    No wouter I am sincerely intersted in why people dont like it. If I would have relized it would turned into such a flame fest I would of never made this thread you can close it If you want.

No wouter I am sincerely intersted in why people dont like it. If I would have relized it would turned into such a flame fest I would of never made this thread you can close it If you want.
    People don't like it because it's boring, end of thread.

Give me a break how much does Ferrari spend on there F1 team and your trying to say NHRA teams dont have a value for money thats funny. Billion any one?

Not to mention a couple 100k over seas.

Wow your pretty absent minded arent you. What is F1 sponsored by exactly thats such a big companie?

Nascar sells billions of dollars worth of merchandise alone some Nascar teams alone are also selling close to a billion what F1 team is doing that?

All the guys on Fchat say Nascar attracts more fans. Why dont they care more about there fans they have all sorts of goodies where you can listen to th teams and such speak does F1 have that?

Also when hasnt a Nascar event been a success? F1 had its fair share of no show events last year and over night it became that laughing stock of auto racing at Indy. How many cars finished the race agian?

Telefonica, Vodafone, Johnie Walker,Siemens, Marlboro, Mildseven,Lucky Strike,Red Bull,Elf,Bridgestone, Michelin,Panasonic,Kenwood .. and lots of others.
    "In UCP I TRUST".

Ohio is a pretty big state. Ive also traveled a bit and Ive only seen one Ferrari shirt ever and that was at the Detroit auto show.
    yes, but the world is larger. and ohio isnt a good representation of automotive fans, despite its size.

And really people, sure nascar makes money, but so does F1, and no its not being held up by 1 race. stop guessing.
    You can call me scott.

Ok, here we go again. Considering I am an avid fan of BOTH Nascar and Formula 1, I will discuss my viewpoints with 0 bias.

Racing
    When it comes to the 'racing' aspect of the sports, I'd consider the two equal, but on different criteria. In Nascar, you get close, break-neck racing for 2-3 hours, or the equivalent of 500 miles. After all that time, you can get a winner by a mere margin of .5 seconds. On the other hand, in Formula 1, you tend to miss out on the close racing when people win by 20+ seconds, but you get an exciting start [often resulting in position changes of 5+ and multiple crashes], followed by each team portraying their prowess through strategy and driving technique for the following +/- 65 laps. When you do get a pass, it's exciting, and involves a great amount of skill, like outbraking someone and sliding through on a hairpin, or outdrafting the competition on a straight. The racing is most definately there in both forms of the sport, but appears in different fashions. NHRA Drag Racing is obvious since someone wins by like a tenth of a second, but you have to remember, it's 1 tenth of a second in a 5 second race, or 2% of the race.

Skill of the Drivers
    This one is quite tough, considering I've never driven a NASCAR stock car, or F1 car for that matter, but I can provide some insight either way. In NASCAR, you have an absence of a lot of technological goodies, like ABS and TCS, and the such, providing many more opportunities to make a mistake. To drive the car well, I'm sure it takes a good amount of skill to get every last ounce of horsepower, provided you're on the right racing-line and speed. With Formula 1, I bet you can train any average person to drive the high-tech go kart around the track, but how many people can drive it full-out? In an average race you can sweat out 5-10 lbs, experience g-loads of 4-5 in every direction, and take corners repeatedly for 65+ laps, providing you have the concentration and stamina. Like I said, any guy can learn to drive an F1 car, but I'd like to see any guy throw in a flying lap comparable to Ayrton Senna's pole-lap at Monaco years back.

Fans
    Well, this one's pretty obvious. NASCAR only caters to American people, and maybe that odd foreigner here and there, so you'd only expect it to have millios of American fans. Formula 1 is catered to a world-wide audience, featuring teams and drivers based around the world, providing a sense of patriotism for people observing the sport. Because of this, Formula 1 has a billion(s) fans around the world, much more than NASCAR, which shouldn't be a surprise.

In summation, this battle against two forms of motorsport comes down to again, "You have to agree to disagree." Everyone has their reasons for enjoying a sport, while others have their reasons for disliking a sport. To each his own in the end.

i think Rockefella's post should be stickied in its own thread, so there is no reason for anybody to bring this up over and over like it has been.
    You can call me scott.

Quote Originally Posted by scottie300z
    yes, but the world is larger. and ohio isnt a good representation of automotive fans, despite its size.
    is there any member here that has seen NASCAR merchandise OUTSIDE the USofA (may be in the occupied territories, like Iraq and Afghanistan? )
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

That was one of the best things Ive ever read Rockefella. Great job buddy and you can close this thread but yes it should be made a sticky

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    In Nascar, you get close, break-neck racing for 2-3 hours, or the equivalent of 500 miles. After all that time, you can get a winner by a mere margin of .5 seconds.
    the weakest line in this post. we do not get racing but rather slipstreaming....There is no opportunity to apply any other skills than the ones that have to do with this aspect, so no out-breaking, cornering abilities, balancing over- and understeer....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information