Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Volkswagen GX3 Concept 2006

The job: To convert the wishes, dreams and needs of American drivers into mobility.
    And this is what they came up with? I want a Lupo GTI, not this. Eh, they'll never build it anyway...
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini
    To qualify as a motorbike for the purposes they mentioned, isn't it limited to forward gears only? Would that not be a problem for day to day driving?
    Honda Goldwing bikes have reverse gears.

Knock-off or not, I think it's a good move on VW's part. Maybe, we'll start getting a greater variety of vehicles coming into the states, if this thing sells.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Scorpion 3 = 395 kg .... poor VW copy = 570 kg
    Scorpion 3 0-60 = ~ 5 secs ..... poor VW copy = 5.7s
    Scorpion 3 = 130+mph .... poor VW copy = not listed
    Scorpion 3 = 30-50 mpg .... poor VW copy = 46 mpg (bigger gallons !!)

So where are ANY of the so-called innovatiosn and achievements of this "thing" ???? Only in the minds of the VW American PR guys
    It's not like Grinnall invented the 3-wheeler. Morgan supersports existed a hundred years ago. Or is this a little nationalisttttttttt rant, nah...
    Last edited by PerfAdv; 01-08-2006 at 11:17 AM. Reason: operation: smiley insertion

The GX3 is very modern looking teh Grinnalls have classic lines.
    A few more: http://www.grinnallcars.com/content/...I/gallery.html

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    It's not like Grinnall invented the 3-wheeler. Morgan supersports existed a hundred years ago. Or is this a little nationalisttttttttt rant, nah...
    ahem, MORGAN is BRITISH you twat

Besides Morgans are front engined RWD, as were most of the original three-wheelers.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

The GX3 is very modern looking teh Grinnalls have classic lines.
    Yeah front mounted wings are "classic"

Other than going "radical" and only mounting one headlight set, dont' see much difference. Also, if there is ONE THING every motorcyclist really wants to change it's to get MORE lights on the front. So VW design a vehicle with that limitation. Sorry, they've played at it and not actually THOUGHT IT OUT
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

ahem, MORGAN is BRITISH you twat

Besides Morgans are front engined RWD, as were most of the original three-wheelers.
    Exactly why I said Morgan because it is English you twit

In a 3-wheeler FR seems a better setup than MR, less motorcycle and more 3-wheeled car. The braking power in the older Morgan and other 3-wheelers probably wasn't enough to cause them to flip, even with the engine hanging off the front like they did. A unified bike drive-train in newer 3-wheelers does seem a more stable platform. Evolution!

Yeah front mounted wings are "classic"
    I hadn't noticed that F1-type front spoiler. The overall look, more so than the GX3 in any case.

Other than going "radical" and only mounting one headlight set, dont' see much difference. Also, if there is ONE THING every motorcyclist really wants to change it's to get MORE lights on the front. So VW design a vehicle with that limitation. Sorry, they've played at it and not actually THOUGHT IT OUT
    This I completely agree with, wtf one central headlight cluster? Aspects like that make it seem it's been dreamed up on paper and few practical considerations have been addressed. I visited an Art school here recently and it was quite full of "cool" designs that are lacking in the practical application area...

Exactly why I said Morgan because it is English you twit
    Sorry, seemed you were comparing Morgan and Grinnal and not both of them to VW
    In a 3-wheeler FR seems a better setup than MR
    Nope, not enough weight over the rear for grip.
    Grinnal gets more of the weight central to teh vehicle and makes for a more progressive overstter and easy to control Beein in teh passenger seat of one with the driver controlling the power slide all the way.
    INFINITELY better than the BMW/Tirumph trieks with the bike FRONTS that GRinnal also makes - MORE superb engineering
    The braking power in the older Morgan and other 3-wheelers probably wasn't enough to cause them to flip, even with the engine hanging off the front like they did.
    Driver is well back, nto enough weight high up to make a Morgan "flip" Besides the braking performance as you say is sh!te

Sorry, seemed you were comparing Morgan and Grinnal and not both of them to VW
    No problem, sorry my post wasn't very clear on that.

Nope, not enough weight over the rear for grip.
    Grinnal gets more of the weight central to teh vehicle and makes for a more progressive overstter and easy to control Beein in teh passenger seat of one with the driver controlling the power slide all the way.
    INFINITELY better than the BMW/Tirumph trieks with the bike FRONTS that GRinnal also makes - MORE superb engineering
    What you're saying makes sense but since the GX3 is heavier it might have enough weight on drive wheel traction-wise. Yeah, the trieks are a joke, like some overgrown tricycle for the balance impaired.

If this odd veedub ever sees production it'll be interesting to see a side by side comparo. I suspect the GX3 will be more capable overall but the Scorpion will be more communicative and "fun" to drive.

Thread Information