Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Formula 1 Turkish Grand Prix

2006 Formula 1 Turkish Grand Prix

Qualifying is over and the pole position for tomorrow's race will be held by Ferrari's Felipe Massa, ahead of his teammate Schumacher with the Renault's in close pursuit.

The big suprise of the first session was the performance of Christian Albers in the MF1 car, making it through to the second session at the expense of David Coulthard. Both Hondas needed to put in fast laps late on as they were running close to the limit in terms of elimination. The six cars to drop out were Sato, Yamamoto, Speed, Liuzzi, Monteiro and Coulthard.

The big news of the second session was the performance difference between the two Hondas. Button finished in P2, second only to the blisteringly quick Ferrari of Schumacher, whilst teammate Barrichello was elminated. What a difference a race victory makes! The other news was the hugely promising Kubica also squeezing into the final shootout again, showing that the youngster is more than willing and capble to mix it with the big boys. The other promising youngster in the field, Nico Rosberg, was again showing his indifferent form by being comfortably beaten by teammate Webber. He really has not lived up to early season promise in recent months.

The final session was, as expected, dominated by Ferrari. However, the big suprise was that it was Massa and not Schumacher who takes pole. Schumacher had been dominant all day, yet suddenly in the final session he got scrappy, particulatly down into the first corner. He did enough to lock out the front row, but will be disappointed no doubt not to get pole. In a frantic final minute to the session the positions below the Ferraris were changing by the second. In the end it will be an all Renault second row, leaving Alonso with as good a chance as he could've expected to defend his slender championship lead.

Below that Button, Heidfeld, Ralf, and Raikkonen were all within a hair's breadth of each other. Ralf came in fifth but will recieve a 10-place penalty, which promotes Heidfeld and Button up to the third row. Raikkonen and Kubica will start on the next row with Webber down in the final place of the last session.

1. Massa
    2. Schumacher
    3. Alonso
    4. Fisichella
    5. Ralf (10-place penalty)
    6. Heidfeld
    7. Button
    8. Raikkonen
    9. Kubica
    10. Webber
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Good on Massa!

I like that track, looks like loads of fun to drive on.

finaly webbers up there
    people like u dont need to be on this go to supid land where your mind is ass - toyota4ever

ricers suck...pasta rockets for life - sicilian973-2

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia
    Good on Massa!

I like that track, looks like loads of fun to drive on.
    Having been there I can confirm the track is quite amazing. The location is appaling though.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by acemotorsport
    finaly webbers up there
    Er..its 10th place, 9th now because of Ralfs engine change penalty. Not exactly anything to scream from the rooftops. Hopefully he can move up and get a few points this race though. Hes between Kubica and Klien on the start, so the possibility for some bruised cars going into turn 1
    I am the Stig

look at his last qual efforts gorn in the first round for as many races
    people like u dont need to be on this go to supid land where your mind is ass - toyota4ever

Gone in the first round for as many races? That doesnt make sense...

His "last" qualy effort was 5th at Hungary....
    I am the Stig

i forgot about that one

Montoya will PODIUM!!!
    "That's the first time I've been unhappy to have a bird on my face."

-Jenson Button after having a bird hit him during a preseason practice

Quote Originally Posted by ptclaus98
    Montoya will PODIUM!!!
    Now THAT would be one HELL of a result from his grid position!
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

This could be a very interesting GP. I think a lot of it is going to depend on how Alonso gets off the line. The Renault's accelerate real well so maybe if he can get to the inside or outside he can shoot passed some guys and try to get out front right away. With the way Ferrari's been running though, that might prove to be too hard.

EDIT: I also don't see Ferrari letting Massa win unless he somehow manages to pull way away and ahead of Schumacher.

Quote Originally Posted by ptclaus98
    Montoya will PODIUM!!!
    ROFL!!!!!!! ... Best I've heard in days...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

So qualifying is over. I apologise for missing the first 20 minutes, hope I didn't miss too much. Anyway, nice one Massa.

Dare I say the Renaults and Massa are running light? Or the maybe Michael made a mess of his final run (hopefully he's tanked up), coz I was going through the timesheets and noticed the gap between Renaults Q2 and Q3 times and they weren't too big.
    Alonso-1:26.917 and 1:27.321
    Fisi- 1:27.346 and 1:27.564
    But Massa scares me...1:27.059 and 1:26.907 (how? I mean I know that in the first and second sessions, they only aim to qualify for the next...that's sandbaging!)

Michael ruined his penultimate attempt by running wide. Agreed. But his final lap wasn't a scorcher by any means, judging by respective time differences.
    Michael 1:25.850 and 1:27.284 ...hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Schumacher
    “Getting myself on the front row is definitely not something I can complain about, but today I definitely did not deliver a great qualifying performance, failing to get all the potential out of the car. I aborted my first run on new tyres in Q3 after I ran wide at Turn 1 and I also made a mistake on my second run when in any case, I took a slightly more cautious approach to the lap, knowing I only had one set of tyres left and that it would be better to be second or third rather than not managing to do a reasonable time. It’s better to be safe than sorry. I am very happy for Felipe on getting the first pole of his career. He drove an exceptional lap and I have to say I don’t think I could have beaten him, even if I had not made any mistakes.”
    "It’s better to be safe than sorry" is the last thing I could expect him to say xD

Quote Originally Posted by bartski
    "It’s better to be safe than sorry" is the last thing I could expect him to say xD
    Yeah... straight from the "prancing" horse's mouth?...
    Well we have a few hours to find out!

Thread Information