Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iso Grifo!!!!!!!!!!

More Iso's

A few more pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks, there is this intrigueing picture of the space behind the seats. Is it intended for legless passengers???
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

More Iso's

A couple more pics.

More Iso's

Last one.

No Henk I did not sell mine (yet)

The 8V I was interested in is now beiing restored
    The unrestored asking price of 135 .000 Euro has therefore gone up to 285.000 Euro which is a bit too much for me
    Furthermore I really liked the unrestored look as it was not really in a bad shape.

I have now sort of promised myself to take it out of the showroom and drive it a couple of times this year as it is really a shame that I never use it
    www.classicpassion.nl

Quote Originally Posted by Sei cilindri
    No Henk I did not sell mine (yet)

I have now sort of promised myself to take it out of the showroom and drive it a couple of times this year as it is really a shame that I never use it
    The Grifo you mean? Give us a shout when you plan to do that and we would interested in doing some pictures....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    The Grifo you mean? Give us a shout when you plan to do that and we would interested in doing some pictures....
    Shout a bit harder so that i can hear it too I'd be very much interested in seeing it actually driving.In all those years of loving itnever seen it drive once

Ok, Well I have learned to promise as little as possible as plans have a tendency to change but if I take it out for a spin I will try to remember to give a shout
    Last edited by Sei cilindri; 05-01-2006 at 01:45 PM.
    www.classicpassion.nl

Just a bit of info, the reason they only made around 450 examples of teh iso grifo is because being based on a corvette, it had similar looks, it cost a ton more, and it was slower by a fair amount.
    i like it when you call me big mommy.

well mister healey

In another thread we have learned not to take your postings too seriously
    Whith this remark you prove that you have very little knowlidge about your classics or are the grapes sour since you are not able to buy one once you will have mastered driving ?

Let me enlighten you:

The Iso Grifo was not based on the Corvette
    Yes it did use a Corvette engine (later Ford) which were modified to make it more reliable since europeans and specially the germans reved the engine more on the "autobahn" and the GM V8's couldn't cope with those continious high revs

As for the chassis: this was developed by Giotto Bizzarini, the best engineer ever to work for Ferrari before he walked out with the "palice" revolution.
    He was responsible u.o. for the most expensive Ferrari ever :the 250GTO
    He also did such cars as the 250 "breadvan" , an ugly car but darn quick !

After the Iso project he was responsible for the famous Lamborghini V12 engine that graced such cars as the 400 and Miura, the best sounding engine ever.

It was this brilliant engineer that developed a chassis that was able to corner at (high) speeds, something the contempory Corvette was never able to do

He went one step further and proved it by producing a racing version which he raced under his own name at such events as Le Mans (Bizzarini 5300 . Iso Grifo A3/C)

I do not know where you get the idea that that the contempory Corvette top speed was higher but the top speed of the Grifo varies ,depending on the engine and axle, from 240 km/h to 300 km/h (!) timed on the autostrada between milano and turin and all this while still making it good to handle at these speeds
    I want to see a standard contempory Corvette see do that.

To top it all off the body was designed by the famous Bertone design house and specificly by Marcello Gandini who was also responsible for e.g. the Lamborghini Countach.
    He managed to make it a spectacular timeless design which still makes it very collectable. Isn't this why you wanted it at the first place ??

So you see my friend, it is not at all based on the Corvette , it just uses its modified power source
    I would hardly call a Armani suit based on a Sears suit just because it might have the same thread manufacturer....
    Last edited by Sei cilindri; 05-03-2006 at 12:26 AM.
    www.classicpassion.nl

Excellent post, Sei cilindri!

well mister healey
    After the Iso project he was responsible for the famous Lamborghini V12 engine that graced such cars as the 400 and Miura, the best sounding engine ever.
    And still does, the current 6.5-litre V12 engine can trace its roots back to the days of the original 3.5-litre V12.

By the way, fantastic post.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    By the way, fantastic post.
    Yea indeed. I guess he is one out of the senior members that really know enough about cars for this

(talking about henk4 and MetA offcourse for the other two)

Yes it did use a Corvette engine (later Ford) which were modified to make it more reliable since europeans and specially the germans reved the engine more on the "autobahn" and the GM V8's couldn't cope with those continious high revs
    This is an often missed, but very valid point. At Villa d'Este I talked a bit to the son of Peter Kalikow about the Momo Mirage his father was responsible for. This was basically an American engine coupled with a European design. He said that one of the biggest problems they encountered was adapting the American V8 for European highway driving. Things like the lubrication system were not capable of handling the stresses cruising at 200 km/h bring with it. No doubt the engines in the Iso were also extensively modified compared to the ones found in the contemporary American cars.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I know, that it used the 327 vette but they used styling cues form the vette
    i like it when you call me big mommy.

Thread Information