Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cadillac Ciel Concept 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    The XLR was horribly executed.

Somehow the CTS has been successful...but Caddy needs a Bentley or at least an A8 fighter to put it in the category it needs to be in.
    In an ideal world what Cadillac would make is cars like this, proper american luxury cars.

In the real world they are trying to compete with Germans and beating at their own game because that's what sells...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    In an ideal world what Cadillac would make is cars like this, proper american luxury cars.

In the real world they are trying to compete with Germans and beating at their own game because that's what sells...
    They likely don't care about anything except China, so whatever they want.

Everyone wants German cars. Chinese people, American people. Even German people want them - for some reason in the 30 to 130 grand premium market they rule supreme over any other nationality.
    Visca Catalunya!

The similarities...

It looks better to me than some of the recent Cadillacs. But it could not escape from the "blob" look.

Maybe Cadillac should go more retro like the Camaro and Challenger did? Also, at 203.7" long, it's not really a "large" car. If it were 215-220" or even 225-230", then it would be a large car.

I would like to see Cadillacs having attractive and unique front ends, like on the '68 and '69, for example...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

The Ciel is much better looking than any of those.

And the Evoq ended up as the XLR.
    That's true, I forgot about that, I just kind of looked up a list of concept cars and didn't really think about it. Yeah, the Evoq/XLR was the only one to make it into production.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    It looks better to me than some of the recent Cadillacs. But it could not escape from the "blob" look.

Maybe Cadillac should go more retro like the Camaro and Challenger did? Also, at 203.7" long, it's not really a "large" car. If it were 215-220" or even 225-230", then it would be a large car.

I would like to see Cadillacs having attractive and unique front ends, like on the '68 and '69, for example...
    How does this look like a blob, Fleet? And also, how is this front end NOT unique?
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    How does this look like a blob, Fleet? And also, how is this front end NOT unique?
    Anything younger than 35 years old is automatically a blob for him, regardless of shape or badge.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    How does this look like a blob, Fleet?
    IMO, it has inherited at least some of the blob look common on modern cars. It's hard to escape the blob look!

And also, how is this front end NOT unique?
    It may look unique, but not (again, IMO) not attractive unique. As I said, it does look a little better than some other Cadillac production and prototype cars, but work is still needed! Which is why I posted a few examples of the "classic look."

Anything younger than 35 years old is automatically a blob for him, regardless of shape or badge.
    No, the blob look seemed to start in the 1990s. And it's not just as seen by me... some cars obviously have that blob look (or the shape of an electric razor, and egg or a soap dish, take your choice).

what is so unique about these front ends? (the high CW value perhaps?) most US cars of that period had horizontal or vertical twin headlights and lots of chrome between these units. (at least the cars that I regualrly see, you will most likely come up with shots of other cars from that area that may look slightly different, but I already tell you here and now that I am not going to react to that).
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    what is so unique about these front ends? (the high CW value perhaps?) most US cars of that period had horizontal or vertical twin headlights and lots of chrome between these units. (at least the cars that I regualrly see, you will most likely come up with shots of other cars from that area that may look slightly different, but I already tell you here and now that I am not going to react to that).
    What is so unique about those front ends? Classic '60s styling. The front end on those don't look like numerous other cars on the road.

What is so unique about those front ends? Classic '60s styling. The front end on those don't look like numerous other cars on the road.
    as I already said, they look like numerous other American cars made in the sixties (we have had this discussion before....)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    as I already said, they look like numerous other American cars made in the sixties (we have had this discussion before....)
    Numerous other American cars of the '60s did not have Euro or Japanese car styling. Now, many do. Back in the '60s, American cars had American styling and the styling varied a lot. Obviously a big difference whether some people want to admit it or not.

Show me another '60s American car that has the same front end as the '68 or '69 Cadillac I posted. Or show me another '60s car that looks like a '68 or '69 Cadillac. And don't bother posting a pic of a Oldsmobile 98 or Buick Electra... the styling of those cars are obviously different from a Cadillac.

The easiest answer may be: "In the 90's, the americans discovered a strange power called drag."
    I mean why would you want a regular car with the drag coefficiant of a supersized brick. The 60's are long gone, and that's a good thing. We wouldn't like 60's styling today if all cars would still have 60's design.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Thread Information