Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: New Race car - the story begins.

watanabe's!
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

aren't they only in bronze colour?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Not IIRC, I've seen many sprinters getting around with white, black and more.. I dont know if they are powder coated after manufacturing, but AFAIK you should be able to find some white/metal/black whatever.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

.. in 4x98 PCD? lol
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I was after genuine watanabes but very expensive even for seconhand ones. Mine are just performance superlites, they also do a lightweight version called the GTR. Give performance a ring direct, they do very good deals and you can order them blank and get the pcd to suit

Performance Wheels

Car got dropped off to paint today, so it should be finished this week. Had a hassle with the engine, the pistons I ordered are for a silvertop not a blacktop so the 11.6.1 pistons work out to 9.6.1 comp, they have different squish area on the crown of the piston. Have ordered some Toda forgies at 11.8.1 from Japan, they should land here in a few weeks but Im poorer for the experience

toda pistons 82mm bore
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by charged View Post
    I was after genuine watanabes but very expensive even for seconhand ones. Mine are just performance superlites, they also do a lightweight version called the GTR. Give performance a ring direct, they do very good deals and you can order them blank and get the pcd to suit

Performance Wheels
    cheers, will do the watanabes are so damn expensive and hard to find in different PCD and offset...

Finally got the motor installed , here's a little vid of first start up, small leak at the timing cover and its loud, just open pipes it sounds very angry . Its running a bit fluffy as its running much bigger injectors and needs some dyno time to tidy up the tune for E85 but all and all good times
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TgvPE1CRoo[/ame]

Just need to spend another day or two, cleaning up the wiring, hoses and fit a new airbox and fix the leak. Bleed clutch, brakes, change wheel bearings then its track time and then bathurst

I will upload a small vid on the dyno whens it reving to 9500rpm

sounds like it's going to hammer down the track! would love that in a caterham

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    sounds like it's going to hammer down the track! would love that in a caterham
    yeah hopefully, I will be pissed off if it isn't. The engine come up nice, 13.3 comp, great flow figures on the inlet and exh on the head and the bottom end is perfect in my engine guys words

I gave the trumpets a nice polish today, it will be sad to cover them with a air-box and lose the induction noise but the cash I have invested on the build doesn't make sense to get the engine sucking dirty air

Couple of little updates, fixed the oil leak, fitted the short shifter and cant believe how close the shifts are . Fitted new exhaust and massaged (hit with a big hammer) floorpan to clear no 4 primary pipe. I went to fit the tailshaft and discovered the new box runs a 20 spline output shaft no a 21 spline output shaft, having a new yoke installed. Ordered the air box its a pipercross PX600, due to lack of room I have to fix a new clutch m/c with a remote reservoir to clear the filter box. ETA for skids is next week hopefully and dyno the week after.
    Attached Images Attached Images

will you take a vid when it's on the dyno?

The little rolla is moving now, had a good day working on it , fixed a few things up for mandatory scrutineering and only have to get a e85 tune and fit airbox, getting the baseplate laser cut to suit the quads. Hit the track for a practice day on 27th to see if everything works, bed in brakes and road some tyres ready for bathurst at Easter:dance: :dance: :dance:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbhKb7ZIG3k]YouTube - MOV00043.MP4[/ame]

Looking/soundiung good.
    Good luck

PS: Every time you say "bathurst" I scream B_A_S_T_A_R_D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

i cant wait peter, I havent driven fast for nearly 12 months now , hoping the practice day will knock a bit of driving rust off and get into racing mode...... On the street I drive round like a old lady more interested in fuel economy than going quick

Looks like you've got the practising for "reversing back up out of the kitty litter/exit roads" down pat
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information