Thread: details on gm's light duty diesel

details on gm's light duty diesel

GM releases details on upcoming 4.5L Duramax turbo-diesel V8 - Autoblog

looks like a great motor for people who want more towing than a traditional 1/2 ton but dont need as much as a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup. also it will give you more power and better fuel economy than the normal small block equipped 1/2 tons.

however, while i do see myself buying a new truck within the next 5 years, i dont see this being one of them and here's why: the motor will probably be a 1500+$ option like the current hd durmamax 6.6. And on top of that diesel is about 60 cents more per gallon than gasoline. so while im sure the motor will get much better mileage than a normal small block, i doubt it will be so much better as to make up for the extra cost of buying diesel over gasoline.

plus since i live in corn country i have easy access to e-85. which is about 40 cents cheaper than e10 (89 octane), about 60 cents cheaper than 87 octane and about 1.50$ cheaper than diesel. plus, i do some towing from time to time but the small block has always been just fine for me. and i guess if i was real serious about towing i would just get a hd pickup.

so while its a sweet motor and im sure this motor will help with government mandates and might make the hippies feel a little better, it seems like kind of a pointless motor.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

i bet this could make a good start for a diesel sports car as well
    the numbers are good

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    [
    so while its a sweet motor and im sure this motor will help with government mandates and might make the hippies feel a little better, it seems like kind of a pointless motor.
    you might want to try it first, and it may turn you into a hippie...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I hope this engine does well. I can really respect the effort and inovation from the GM engineers on this one.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    I hope this engine does well. I can really respect the effort and inovation from the GM engineers on this one.
    and it comes at a time when BMW and Mercedes have decided to discontinue their V8 diesels and concentrate on I6/V6 engines.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    you might want to try it first, and it may turn you into a hippie...
    being a hippy or the motor?
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    being a hippy or the motor?
    I see your are from the cornfield areas...Randy Newman made a perfect song about it...

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    and it comes at a time when BMW and Mercedes have decided to discontinue their V8 diesels and concentrate on I6/V6 engines.
    no doubt the germans lead in really marketable and attractive engines but I am admiring the new ideas and relative development in its intended market.
    autozine.org

I still don't get why American engines always have to be quite so big, European engineers can get more economy and more power from smaller blocks. The other thing I have to contribute is lolz at 89 Octane!
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    I still don't get why American engines always have to be quite so big, European engineers can get more economy and more power from smaller blocks. The other thing I have to contribute is lolz at 89 Octane!
    The Hummer's lard arse needs it.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    It has about the same power and torque than similarly sized European diesel V8s.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden View Post
    The Hummer's lard arse needs it.
    But the engine doesn't need the Hummer...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

But the engine doesn't need the Hummer...
    True .
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Thread Information