Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lane Splitting

I've done it when traffic was completely stopped in the LA area, and it's not really that dangerous as long as you're not a dumbass about it. Just like driving a car. A lot of people doing it think that speed limits or things like that don't apply, or they feel that if there's not room it's someone elses fault and get offended at the people in the cars and try to force their way through. You can't say this is dangerous because of people who hit and run, since that happens all the time without this. It's fine to get mad at a hit and run (I know the feeling, it's happened to me) but don't blame the fact that they're riding a bike. Stupid people are everywhere and they cause problems all the time, don't blame one person for someone elses stupidity.

Has anyone else seen the bikers in Thailand? They're mental... I the statistic is about 6 die every day.

yeah i took a motorbike taxi in bangkok once.. not a tuk tuk..just pay money and get a motor bike ride to the destination. they lane split in the opposite direction to the flow of traffic nearly lost a patella
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Has anyone else seen the bikers in Thailand? They're mental... I the statistic is about 6 die every day.
    Especially when the cops stop guys racing by swinging baseball bats at them.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

the normal speed version looks safe enough to me....but the real lesson that should be leaned here is dont move to LA if you cant handle high gas $ and big time traffic
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    As a biker who does it in slow moving traffic, you DO have to be much more alert than normal as here many plonkers will think they jhave the right to close the lane gap and block your progress. When we rode to Le Mans 2 years ago I was VERY pleased to find the French car drivers were fantastic and cleared as wide a gap as possible for the bikes to go through.
    I do it all the time. Also for trucks/lorries when they need to merge into the highway. Especially when driving the big Nissan Interstar van of my work, I do it. It's really appreciated mostly and the favour gets returned to you as well later. Tiny effort, huge positive result !

Quote Originally Posted by werty View Post
    the normal speed version looks safe enough to me....but the real lesson that should be leaned here is dont move to LA if you cant handle high gas $ and big time traffic
    Come here. Traffic jams of 20km long are daily here and our gas prices are even worse Atleast we do got a good social and health system, payed by these taxes..

People that don't like filtering bikes are invariably not motorcyclists and just dislike the thought of someone going past them in queues. Filtering's exactly like anything else that's car or bike-related, it's only as dangerous as you make it. Besides, as long as anyone changing lanes checks the appropriate mirrors before doing so, nobody's going to get hurt.

I genuinely don't see what's to get upset about. Unless of course it's jealousy.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd CC
    Dirt bikes are far narrower than sports bikes, they'd only be wider if it was something like a GS with enormous panniers, or was wearing some huge Barkbusters.
    Off-road bikes generally have significantly wider bars than road bikes. I have to twist the bars on the DR-Z to get it out of the gate, which means that it must be around 800mm wide or so. That said, they're much, much higher than the wing mirrors on my car, so I'm not sure how you'd take a wing mirror off...

I think it is the Drivers that make it more dangerous than it really is. Blind lane changes and staying left on your lane ar DRIVER errors not the bikers.

On the posted video, you can see that a lot of cars try to give him space. Only a green mustang about 2-3 minutes in is a dick and tries to squeeze him ...

I am all for it! especially in city driving where jams can be infernal.

EDIT: Huh... just noticed Canada is not on that list... kinda disapointed.
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini View Post
    Off-road bikes generally have significantly wider bars than road bikes. I have to twist the bars on the DR-Z to get it out of the gate, which means that it must be around 800mm wide or so. That said, they're much, much higher than the wing mirrors on my car, so I'm not sure how you'd take a wing mirror off...
    We've got fairly wide roads and lanes, so you're usually fine. My mirrors are right at the same level as car ones, so if someone squeezes me, they belt right into their mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeTurbo View Post
    EDIT: Huh... just noticed Canada is not on that list... kinda disapointed.
    It's not really. In Australia it's only legal (i.e in the road rules) in Victoria (they can park on the footpath as well). However in other states it's a bit of a grey area, as in it's not specifically outlawed and some road rules allow it, but other rules don't. It comes down to the attitude to of the coppers who see you doing it, and how you're doing it. So if you go past a copper who's had a bad day at a million miles an hour, you'll get done, but if you're being sensible and it's a reasonable policeman, they'll most likely move over and let you through.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Lane splitting, ah i never knew the technical name for it , but I do this everyday to and from work through the traffic... it is dangerous if drivers are not paying attention, just like anything else. The rules in West Australia (as far as I know) allow a car and a bike to occupy 1 lane side by side at 1 time. You only break the rules if you cross the line without indicating.

It is nice when cars move over slightly to allow you thro, i always give a little wave when people are nice like that. It is sad when people get angry about it, as motorbikes are helping congestion by replacing a possible car from the long line of traffic.

Lane splitting generally only occurs in Canberra at traffic lights or when cars are either at a standstill or a crawl, so it's not really that dangerous - most bikers know how vulnerable they are and choose self preservation over 25 seconds saved on their morning commute by carving up the parkway. Most motorcycles I've encountered generally turn on their headlight anyway, so you can see a flash of them in your side mirror before moving into that lane - thus avoiding a collision.

Having said that, you do get the occasional d**khead who chooses to flaunt lane discipline rules, which just irks me. Keep left, people. for god sakes.

Doing it like in the video is just.....dangerous. plain and simple. that gap could narrow or close any second.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Lane splitting generally only occurs in Canberra at traffic lights or when cars are either at a standstill or a crawl, so it's not really that dangerous - most bikers know how vulnerable they are and choose self preservation over 25 seconds saved on their morning commute by carving up the parkway. Most motorcycles I've encountered generally turn on their headlight anyway, so you can see a flash of them in your side mirror before moving into that lane - thus avoiding a collision.
    Daytime running lights and race exhausts are pretty much a motorcyclist's best way to get noticed. Remember kids, loud cans save lives.

If memory serves, the ruling in the UK is that you're allowed to filter through any traffic that's moving at less than 20mph, or something to that effect. I think that might be a guideline, though. I filtered past a police car yesterday, actually. That was a fairly un-nerving experience.

EDIT: one more thing. Found out a few days ago that it's actually illegal to overtake the lead vehicle in a stationary queue at a pedestrian crossing. That's worth knowing.
    Last edited by VtecMini; 04-28-2008 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini View Post
    Daytime running lights and race exhausts are pretty much a motorcyclist's best way to get noticed. Remember kids, loud cans save lives.

If memory serves, the ruling in the UK is that you're allowed to filter through any traffic that's moving at less than 20mph, or something to that effect. I think that might be a guideline, though. I filtered past a police car yesterday, actually. That was a fairly un-nerving experience.

EDIT: one more thing. Found out a few days ago that it's actually illegal to overtake the lead vehicle in a stationary queue at a pedestrian crossing. That's worth knowing.
    I would assume that's kind of an obvious safety one. If the car is stopped there's a good chance it's because it's someone walking across the road.

Here in NY sharing a lane with a motorcycle is illegal I think.

Although it's never happened to me before, I guess it could be dangerous. By banning it altogether it avoids the whole situation in its entirety.

Edit- Just saw the regular speed video- it's certainly not the fastest I've seen it done. So I guess it's acceptable.

On the other hand, I love how motorcyclists think that they're way tougher than an automobile. They forget that it's flesh wrapped around metal, not the other way around. Put it simply, common courtesy towards each other would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 04-28-2008 at 11:56 AM.

Lane splitting generally only occurs in Canberra at traffic lights or when cars are either at a standstill or a crawl, so it's not really that dangerous - most bikers know how vulnerable they are and choose self preservation over 25 seconds saved on their morning commute by carving up the parkway.
    It's actually safer to filter through, you can't get rear-ended when you're doing that. You know how bad Canberra drivers are.

Most motorcycles I've encountered generally turn on their headlight anyway, so you can see a flash of them in your side mirror before moving into that lane - thus avoiding a collision.
    Actually, that's not by choice. All motorcycles sold new have to have their lights permanently on when the ignition is switched on.
    – Hunter Thompson

Thread Information