Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda Civic Hybrid Sports Concept

Honda Civic Hybrid Sports Concept

Honda Civic Hybrid Sports Concept
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

wow i LOVE that car does anybody have any more information on it? thanks!

Yeah, it's a great looking Civic, better than the body style we get here in the US. It's the same basic styling of the Euro and Jap spec Civics right?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    Yeah, it's a great looking Civic, better than the body style we get here in the US. It's the same basic styling of the Euro and Jap spec Civics right?
    isnt that the same as the american version, just with a body kit?
    the sedans are similar, we dont get the 'coupe' hatchback that they have in the UK.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The European Civic pictured in this thread is the Acura CSX in Canada. This specific design is not available in the US.
    "To control 800 horsepower relying just on arm muscles and foot sensitivity can turn out to be a dangerous exercise."
    Michael Schumacher

who knew a CSX could look that good
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

the only differences visually that i can tell between this civic and the us spec civic sedan are the headlights and the tailights, but it seems like the rest is just bodykit

Hybrid - Sports... am i the only one who see's something wrong there?
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

In the images it says this is the Tokyo Motor Show.
    Is this from last year? or some tuner show this year?

this is from the top gear website review of this car

"And when it's running on electric only, you don't know it because the engine is still turning over, just without fuel. That's because the Civic doesn't shut off its engine - it merely closes the valves so a combination of the drive from the transmission and the compression in the engine keep it revving. Your rev counter still shows a few thousand rpm."

why bother keeping the engine running with no fuel. doesn't it just take valauble energy from the electric motor and it wouldn't save that much fuel anyway?
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree
    this is from the top gear website review of this car

"And when it's running on electric only, you don't know it because the engine is still turning over, just without fuel. That's because the Civic doesn't shut off its engine - it merely closes the valves so a combination of the drive from the transmission and the compression in the engine keep it revving. Your rev counter still shows a few thousand rpm."

why bother keeping the engine running with no fuel. doesn't it just take valauble energy from the electric motor and it wouldn't save that much fuel anyway?
    "closes the valves" ? Was it Clarkson who said that ?
    I suspect he MEANT to say it OPENS the exhaust valves so the engine has no compression - and hence minimal energy to keep turning. The idea that usign "compresion" keeps na engine turning is madness. COmpression adn re-espansion are inherently LOSSY energy conversions so SLOW you down
    The "issue" with engine on-off systems is the energy it takes to restart the engine turning and how often they think the engine will be needed.
    This is Honda engienering we're talkgin abotu ... they will have analaysed millions of miles of driving to have come to teh conclusion that it was "better" to keep the engien spinning ( it keeps it warm and well lubricated, which improves consumption when you start usign it Also the first 10 seconsds of an engien start up is the most damaging to it. So they may be protecting the Honda reliability by takgin this route ... we'll see how the Prius does in 10 years I guess )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    "closes the valves" ? Was it Clarkson who said that ?
    I suspect he MEANT to say it OPENS the exhaust valves so the engine has no compression - and hence minimal energy to keep turning. The idea that usign "compresion" keeps na engine turning is madness. COmpression adn re-espansion are inherently LOSSY energy conversions so SLOW you down
    The "issue" with engine on-off systems is the energy it takes to restart the engine turning and how often they think the engine will be needed.
    This is Honda engienering we're talkgin abotu ... they will have analaysed millions of miles of driving to have come to teh conclusion that it was "better" to keep the engien spinning ( it keeps it warm and well lubricated, which improves consumption when you start usign it Also the first 10 seconsds of an engien start up is the most damaging to it. So they may be protecting the Honda reliability by takgin this route ... we'll see how the Prius does in 10 years I guess )
    nope some guy called Piers Ward

yeah i knew that the first few seconds of engine usage were the most damaging but i thought the loss of power from the drivetrain would be a worse problem.

lets all just get super efficient diesels instead.

nope some guy called Piers Ward

yeah i knew that the first few seconds of engine usage were the most damaging but i thought the loss of power from the drivetrain would be a worse problem.
    Most of it is all spinning anway.
    Yeah there will be losses but not huge -- remember the mass of the car is moving it along Knock your car into neutral or hold the clutch down whilst cruising and find how long it takes to slow down
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Most of it is all spinning anway.
    Yeah there will be losses but not huge -- remember the mass of the car is moving it along Knock your car into neutral or hold the clutch down whilst cruising and find how long it takes to slow down
    surely if its in neutral the drivetrain isn't connected?

the engine would ONLY get rotation from itself in that case

surely if its in neutral the drivetrain isn't connected?
    Sorry I made that too concise and not enough detail

As you mentioned the drivetrain explicitly then I focussed on that. When in neutral, half the gearbox and all the props, diffs and driveshafts are driven by the road. THe only bits NOT spinning are the drive gear, clutch assembly and off course the crank/pistons/valvetrain. SO I meant that in terms of the drive train most of it is still there.

Thread Information