Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Porsche: My GMC

My Porsche: My GMC

Well...it's not quite the 911 I had originally intended for my first car, but I'm also 7" taller than I had originally intended.

So, 2001 GMC Sierra 5.3L V8, Black, dark grey leather, great shape, and don't worry the goofy bug deflector on the hood is thrown away.

I'll try to get some better pictures some time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

HOLY MOTHER OF MARY, COLIN!!! That is your first car!!?!?!?

That's so cool!!! So you live where you're legal to drive at 16?

I love American Pickups. I really want a pickup for my first car, no reason, I just love them. But it's f***ing insurance!! I'd like a UK spec Ford Ranger Thunder in grey (totally different to the US Ranger) but what I really really REALLY want is a black Nissan Navara with a hardtop and all the styling options, big black pickups are the business!!!

EDIT: It really is amazing how you can get insurance on a 5.3litre V8!!
    Last edited by Waugh-terfall; 02-18-2007 at 02:36 PM.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Z package? Slam it. Raise it. Whatever.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

i've heard stories how texan fathers wont let their children drive anything other than a pickup.....because anything else isnt as safe!
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    i've heard stories how texan fathers wont let their children drive anything other than a pickup.....because anything else isnt as safe!
    That's not just with texans and pickups. I know quite a few kids who are only allowed to drive suv's here in PA because smaller cars aren't safe when in a collision with a bigger car.

Quote Originally Posted by deffenbaugh03 View Post
    That's not just with texans and pickups. I know quite a few kids who are only allowed to drive suv's here in PA because smaller cars aren't safe when in a collision with a bigger car.
    no wonder we are wasting resources. its like nuclear bombs, its only safe if everyone has one! still not for this thread so carry on.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by deffenbaugh03 View Post
    I know quite a few kids who are only allowed to drive suv's here in PA because smaller cars aren't safe when in a collision with a bigger car.
    Go find 5th Gear's crash test between an Espace and a Discovery.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    Well...it's not quite the 911 I had originally intended for my first car, but I'm also 7" taller than I had originally intended.

So, 2001 GMC Sierra 5.3L V8, Black, dark grey leather, great shape, and don't worry the goofy bug deflector on the hood is thrown away.

I'll try to get some better pictures some time.
    As Waugh-terfall said, it amazes us Brits that a 16 year old is allowed to drive such a beast when we're paying arms and legs to drive 1 litre hairdryers.

Is that the 5.3 Vortec V8 as featured in the GMC Yukon XL? If so, I've driven one in March 2004 when I visited relations in California. Makes a nice noise doesn't it? Certainly better than aforementioned hairdryers.

Is it true that many GM cars are limited to 120mph in the states, and is yours one of them? What are the other performance figures?

Sorry about all the questions, just trying to get an impression of what it's like to be in your boots. Finally, congrats on a beastly machine. Hope you have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    Is it true that many GM cars are limited to 120mph in the states, and is yours one of them? What are the other performance figures?
    That may be (on the trucks at least) a safety issue due to the physical limitations of the driveshafts. Here in Australia, Ford limits (or limited) their utes and I think some sedan models to 180kmh because their 1-piece tailshafts couldn't take any more speed than that. Could be the reason.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    That may be (on the trucks at least) a safety issue due to the physical limitations of the driveshafts. Here in Australia, Ford limits (or limited) their utes and I think some sedan models to 180kmh because their 1-piece tailshafts couldn't take any more speed than that. Could be the reason.
    Interesting. I've never heard of that sort of thing on GM's European models but then again, most of them won't use the same type of shafts as the majority of standard european cars are FWD.

What do you mean when you say "physical limitations"? Can't they handle the power / torque or is it the rpm's of the shaft that cause the problems?

Now turn it into a Rally Raid pickup

cheers colin, looks good. better the truck i had when i was that age. one of these days i'll take a pic of it and post it.

is it 4wd? if it is, that will come in handy when you want to go play in the dirt down there in texas.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Interesting. I've never heard of that sort of thing on GM's European models but then again, most of them won't use the same type of shafts as the majority of standard european cars are FWD.

What do you mean when you say "physical limitations"? Can't they handle the power / torque or is it the rpm's of the shaft that cause the problems?
    The last rear wheel drive European GM car was the Omega and it wasn't limited, as far as I remember. Then again I don't think the Omega shared anything with US GM rear drive cars (Catera aside, which was just a rebadged Omega).
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

GMC...there is no substitute.

Most of the trucks are limited to 100mph I think. Not that I'd want to go any faster than that in a 7000lb truck anyway.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Thread Information