Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Golf (V-1K) TDI Hybrid Concept 2008

Volkswagen Golf (V-1K) TDI Hybrid Concept 2008

The Golf Hybrid concept that's sitting on VW's show floor in Geneva has a "Golf Bluemotion Diesel" badge on its hatch, but the hybrid technology is intended to be used with either a diesel (TDI) or direct-injection gasoline (TSI) engine. VW's aim was to create a powertrain that would have CO2 emissions of less than 90 grams per kilometer, and they achieved this, since the Golf TDI Hybrid comes in at 89 grams. It's worth noting, though, that a conventional Golf TDI emits only 119 grams per kilometer, since anything under 150 grams is considered to be pretty clean in the European market.

There's nothing groundbreaking about the hybrid technology used here; there's a battery pack under the rear cargo shelf, an electric motor in the middle of the chassis, and the engine in front. At first glance, this car looks like any other Golf, but then you notice that the grille is different, the air inlets have been minimized to reduce aerodynamic drag, and the car sits a bit lower. The handsome eight-spoke wheels have a black ring around their perimeter which presumably also helps reduce drag.

Toyota president Katsuaki Watanabe announced at the Geneva show that his company has no plans for a diesel hybrid due to the higher cost of such a powertrain, so if VW goes ahead with production, it's likely to have this market to itself. There's no word whether such a production car would come to America.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Volkswagen Golf V TDI Hybrid Concept #2
    Attached Images Attached Images

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

They won't be making it because it's too costly, but they will do some petrol powered hybrids, apparently.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Both GM (Opel) and PSA are experimenting with the same principles...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Is it a 2008 car?

1 gram below what they aimed for. Way to overachieve. I'm not saying it isn't still an accomplishment but I could weigh myself and then say that I came in 1 pound under what my goal was.

still... you have to admire a car that produces 89g of CO2 per kilometer. WOW.

any word on what the fuel consumption might look like?
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Quote Originally Posted by ZeTurbo View Post
    still... you have to admire a car that produces 89g of CO2 per kilometer. WOW.

any word on what the fuel consumption might look like?
    3,4l/100km

Considering they managed to extract 3,0l/100km from a conventional Lupo, not that amazing...
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    3,4l/100km

Considering they managed to extract 3,0l/100km from a conventional Lupo, not that amazing...
    Lupo TDI I suppose...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

3,4l/100km

When I drive normally I average 5.6l/100km on my 1.3 Yaris (not diesel)

Quote Originally Posted by Gt1Street View Post
    When I drive normally I average 5.6l/100km on my 1.3 Yaris (not diesel)
    which is almost a whopping 100% more

imo, this car couldn't achieve this consumption level in real life driving. it's a golf, so it's bigger and heavier than a lupo for example, and even if it's a hybrid, the main engine is a 1,2 liter, very little, and for sure not so economic at transitional regime , which is to say the major part of driving...they can say it does "3,4 l/100 km" because of the way they test the car, even if i'm thinking this is a presumed number, not that they really tested the concept. btw, this test are done in conditions very different from everyday drive, the same for as regards emissions level.
    then, whit such a low engine, the energy from batteries is a must in situation like driving on a mountain road with some slope, but if they are low in charge, you could find yourself in some troubles. it's like pretending to save fuel from a car buying it with an engine littler than what is necessary. you gain some miles on standard driving, maybe, but when you make a trip in a highway, the situation in reversed. maybe a 3.0 liter diesel engine isn't necessary on a 5 series, but a 2.0 liter is not very fitting on it, just as an example.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Lupo TDI I suppose...
    Yes.

By conventional I meant non-hybrid.

And of course this car wouldn't do 3,4l/100km in real life. The 118d is supposed to do 4,5l/100km yet in truth it's more like 6-6,5l/100km.
    Visca Catalunya!

The 118d is supposed to do 4,5l/100km yet in truth it's more like 6-6,5l/100km.
    exactly my argument.

this car has specs very similar to the Prius. even assuming it is better (because of it's never) i am sure it cannot do better of the prius (declared) of 1 liter per 100 km
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    which is almost a whopping 100% more
    but then again my car is 6 years old and is not a diesel, and its alot better then todays production hybrids...

Thread Information