Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renault Twingo (II) Renaultsport 2008-2013

Renault Twingo (II) Renaultsport 2008-2013

Thursday 28th August 2008

TWINGO RENAULTSPORT 133 - THE NEW ENTRY POINT TO THE WORLD OF RENAULTSPORT

* Twingo Renaultsport 133 priced at just £11,550 on the road
    * New Renaultsport 1.6-litre naturally-aspirated engine developing 133hp
    * Renaultsport heritage evident in both performance and style
    * ‘Cup’ chassis available as an option from launch with lowered ride height, stiffer springs and dampers plus 17” alloy wheels for an even sharper driving experience
    * All retail customers who order a New Twingo Renaultsport 133 within first 133 days of ordering opening will receive a free Renaultsport trackday complete with driver training

With a heritage of iconic cars such as the R8 Gordini, 5 GT Turbo and Clio Williams, the Renault range has always featured affordable performance cars based on mainstream production models. Twingo Renaultsport 133 is latest car to enjoy that distinction.

Twingo Renaultsport 133 is the result of a dual challenge which sought to deliver a car with genuine sporting credentials at the affordable price of £11,550. It is a Renaultsport car through and through, and features the same ingredients that have helped forge the success of its larger siblings, the Clio and Mégane Renaultsport. These include specific styling, coupled with a chassis, engine and braking system engineered for a high standard of performance that is also suited to everyday use. Twingo Renaultsport’s release stems from a desire to broaden the access to the Renaultsport experience.

All retail customers who place an order for a Twingo Renaultsport 133 within the first 133 days of ordering opening will receive a voucher for a free place on a Renaultsport trackday in 2009 with driver tuition at either Brands Hatch, Oulton Park or Bedford Autodrome.

Twingo Renaultsport’s compact proportions and sharp styling echo the Twingo Concept show car which was a star of the 2006 Paris Motor Show. The newcomer's pedigree and sporty looks are highlighted by its bumpers, wider front and rear wings, and sculpted side skirts. Inside, the cabin has been tailored for focused sports driving, with Renaultsport front seats offering enhanced lateral support, plus aluminium pedal facings, leather steering wheel and rev-counter.

From launch, it will be possible to customise the car to owners' individual tastes thanks to a range of exterior and interior Renaultsport accessories, as well as a multimedia connection point.

As suggested by its standard-fit fully disconnectable ESP, Twingo Renaultsport 133 delivers a genuinely sporting driving experience but is also suited to everyday use. Its finely balanced handling ensures it is fun to drive, while ensuring a particularly high standard of safety. As is the case with the Clio and Mégane Renaultsport, two chassis settings (standard and Cup) are available. Both benefit from wider front and rear tracks, while the main components of its powerful, durable braking system are sourced from higher segment models.

Twingo Renaultsport 133 is powered by a naturally-aspirated 1.6 litre 16V engine newly developed by Renault Sport Technologies. This powerplant gives out 133hp at 6,750rpm, with 160Nm of torque at 4,400rpm. The unit’s punchy character is reinforced by a characteristic engine note which has been the focus of specific development. The four-into-one exhaust manifold has been fabricated to strike a perfect balance between acoustics, performance and low emissions.

Twingo Renaultsport 133 has plenty in its favour to win over a new, young clientele.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sources: press.renault.co.uk; renault-presse.de

Renault Twingo Renaultsport #2

Renault Twingo Renaultsport #3

I like it, and so do some of the magazines that have tested i. However, i'd take a 500Abarth anyday, and this is supposed to be very loud on the motorways - the main criticism of the 197 for many people.
    Aesthetically, Renaultsport improve hugely on their boring, not too beautiful, non-sport siblings. The normal clio's average, i love the sport. I never liked the megane, but loved the r26rs version and the same with the Twingo, bland and boring, but this is a nice motor.

What I don't understand is why go with a midly tuned 1.6-litre normally aspirated engine when the 1.1-litre turbo in the GT was a very good candidate.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Because a 1.6 badge always looks better on the side of a car than a 1.1.

And who's interested in Efficiency these days? this is meant to be a city car?

It seems quite....large.....
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Because a 1.6 badge always looks better on the side of a car than a 1.1.

And who's interested in Efficiency these days? this is meant to be a city car?

It seems quite....large.....
    I wasn't thinking in terms of efficiency but in performance. I'm sure that the GT isn't far off the RS when it comes to straight line punch. And with a few tweaks it could be much faster.

And I doubt it says 1.6 anywhere in the car. Anyway there's no need to put a 1.1 badge, just write Turbo with big bold red letters in the lower part of the doors. Like old school fast Renaults.
    Visca Catalunya!

i like it

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    What I don't understand is why go with a midly tuned 1.6-litre normally aspirated engine when the 1.1-litre turbo in the GT was a very good candidate.
    Or why not a less midly tuned 1.6
    Maybe one that gets 100hp/L
    Last edited by f6fhellcat13; 09-28-2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Or why not a less midly tuned 1.6
    Maybe one that gets 100hp/L
    Yes that could be an option too.

Altough in terms of costs the 1.1 litre turbo would be better for Renault.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Yes that could be an option too.

Altough in terms of costs the 1.1 litre turbo would be better for Renault.
    Because they already have a 1.1 turbo but they dont have a powerful 1.6 so they would have to develop it?
    Or is it just that the 1.6 would cost more to produce?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I'm still gutted I didn't get a 1.2T GT but there is still a chance for next year if they depreciate fast enough. Absoluetly loving the RenaultSport, will have to take one for a test-drive when the local dealer gets one in. Also, the £80 Optional pedals are pretty cool nice touch. Don't look quite as nice as the standards but they have a Play symbol embossed onto the throttle, Stop symbol on the brake and Pause on the clutch
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

I still think the Twingo mk2 is ugly, also because it reminds me a lot of the Citroen C2, another ugly car.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Well, it's the usual Renaultsport, great chassis, not so great engine especially when compared to the 500 Abarth. However, if you compare it to its 1.6 rivals, the C2 and Swift then it's clearly ahead.

Maybe they could use the 1.1 and call it GT Turbo!

Iirc, they'll be introducing a 1.4 Turbo in the new Mégane so that could also be a good option.
    Live for Speed - Online Racing Simulator
    http://www.liveforspeed.net

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Because they already have a 1.1 turbo but they dont have a powerful 1.6 so they would have to develop it?
    Yep, that was my reasoning.

I guess that if you want a pocket rocket 500 Abarth SS is the way to go.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information