Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The Photography Discussion Thread

Right, i am looking for some advice or any general pointers in this post.

Mid February I am off to Italy to visit Ferrari, Lamborghini and Ducatti for visits around all of their factories and muesums.
    As this is a pretty unique oppurtunity I want to get as many decent shots as I can as this is the main reason im going. I don't currently have a grip which I am considering investing in for the trip and i am wondering about purchasing the 430 exII external flash. Does anyone suggest buying these or any other equipment?

Also i can photograph cars quite well but do any of you have any special tips, techniques or methods for shooting cars?

Any info welcomed guys

Cheers

Matt Lunn

Quote Originally Posted by DBR9 View Post
    Right, i am looking for some advice or any general pointers in this post.

Mid February I am off to Italy to visit Ferrari, Lamborghini and Ducatti for visits around all of their factories and muesums.
    As this is a pretty unique oppurtunity I want to get as many decent shots as I can as this is the main reason im going. I don't currently have a grip which I am considering investing in for the trip and i am wondering about purchasing the 430 exII external flash. Does anyone suggest buying these or any other equipment?

Also i can photograph cars quite well but do any of you have any special tips, techniques or methods for shooting cars?

Any info welcomed guys

Cheers

Matt Lunn
    You're going to run into every imagineable tough shooting scenario imaginable. Lighting will probably suck.

I would suggest finding the best flash unit that is MATCHED to your camera. That is going to be the easiest way for you to get control of the situation. Supposedly, the new Canon 580 flashes practically shoot themselves. If you're shooting a Canon body, I'd say get one.

JT
    www.johnthawley.com / www.automotivephoto.net

Quote Originally Posted by John Thawley View Post
    You're going to run into every imagineable tough shooting scenario imaginable. Lighting will probably suck.

I would suggest finding the best flash unit that is MATCHED to your camera. That is going to be the easiest way for you to get control of the situation. Supposedly, the new Canon 580 flashes practically shoot themselves. If you're shooting a Canon body, I'd say get one.

JT
    I have a 580EX II on my 20D/40D and it really does. It does a damn good job of getting a good exposure and is easily adjustable for more or less flash.
    www.Desert-Motors.com - mag.Desert-Motors.com

Personally I'd recommend - if you're after well lit shots - taking a tripod instead or together with a flash. Unless you have a very extensive setup in my personal opinion it's hard to get properly good car photos with flash, but much easier using tripods. They're also very useful for eliminating people walking around the cars you're shooting, as you can simply select a longer shutter speed and not worry about it.

I'm in agreement with Pat and John, the 580 EX II is the way to go for canon flashes, because it's got everything you need for TTL shooting and so much more when you want to play around and learn more. Easy to use basically but oh-so versatile if you want to really get into it.

I have a question about shooting cars in possibly dark areas too. The NY Auto Show. While I probably can't go, I wouldn't mind discussing about it anyway, since it is coming up.

So a flash would be obvious equipment. I plan to get a Nikon SB-600 soon. How about filters? There is sometimes very soft lighting, and sometimes very harsh lighting. White balance might be an issue too, with fluorescent, incandescent, and no light coming from all sources. That was a major headache with the pictures I took inside the Intrepid Museum. The in camera individual white balance settings didn't help.

Thanks.

I found (at the Toronto show) that a majority of the displays could be shot hand-held, as they are very well lit. For the darker ones you may have to turn the ISO up a bit, but otherwise a steady hand will do. I also tend to stay away from the flash, in fact I'd prefer taking a tripod and going on a day that's less busy. The lighting can be harsh like you said, but can easily be used to your advantage; I got a lot of nice natural contrast in the images and dramatic light. As far as white balance goes, I adjust mine when I process the images in my RAW editor. It's best to shoot in RAW mode, and worry about the white balance then.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin View Post
    I found (at the Toronto show) that a majority of the displays could be shot hand-held, as they are very well lit. For the darker ones you may have to turn the ISO up a bit, but otherwise a steady hand will do. I also tend to stay away from the flash, in fact I'd prefer taking a tripod and going on a day that's less busy. The lighting can be harsh like you said, but can easily be used to your advantage; I got a lot of nice natural contrast in the images and dramatic light. As far as white balance goes, I adjust mine when I process the images in my RAW editor. It's best to shoot in RAW mode, and worry about the white balance then.
    With the flash though, if you dial down the flash compensation, doesn't that help a little? I remember that there was a very poorly lit area, and a flash would have really helped. Plus, what about filters?

I see. Yeah, I tend to be only free on the weekends, so that could be an issue with the tripod thingy. The biggest problem with shooting RAW (other than large files) is that I know exactly nothing about editing. I don't even know where to begin if I wanted to learn.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I don't even know where to begin if I wanted to learn.
    YouTube FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Dary View Post
    YouTube FTW!
    Wow, that's genius! Never thought about that.

But yeah, it'll have to wait. Chemistry midterm on Monday.

By the way, for you DX Nikon shooters, there's a new 35mm F1.8 prime. And it will be cheap too.

Nikon launches AF-S 35mm F1.8 DX prime: Digital Photography Review

Yay.

So I actually found something cool.

Apparently, photography of subways and stuff in NYC is not illegal. In fact, it perfectly is legal, but police officers and the like are still stopping people, asking them to delete the photos, or even arresting them!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/18/nyregion/18about.html

Here's the link. I'm no lawyer, or else I would have argued about it. For you lawyers, feel free to argue away!

Not sure if posted before, but Nikon's F-mount is celebrating 50 years.

That's awesome in terms of consistency!

Need to ask you guys for a bit of advice.

How good is the screw focus Nikkor 50mm f1.8? I know there's a new one, but $600 is a bit much for that prime.

Is it worth getting, basically?

Shrani.si - slike, video posnetki in druge datoteke

can anyone tell me which car is this

Bond Equipe.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information