Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 LastLast

Thread: Why are American Cars so BIG?

yeah, most american cars even though they're so big dont offer any more headroom then for example a toyota corolla ...

in fact in most of the cars i've been you actually get LESS headroom compared to the foreign alternatives, although it must be said you do get considerably more legroom, which i dont need since im only 5'10

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Too bad about the 'headroom'. I like hat room for when I wear my Fedora or Derby.

Luckily, at 5'8" I have plenty of hat room in the Stangs, even in the low-slung Mach 1.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

I just thought about leg room, I can't hold my steering wheel at 5-and-7 (I'm referring to the steering wheel like a clock for those who can't tell) like most driving schools recommend. My knuckles hit my kneecaps, so I do the old style 2-and-10 or a 3-and-9. Kind of annoying because I found that 5-and-7 were quite comfortable while driving for a long time, I could do it in the Ranger, but since I've gotten my 200SX, I can't anymore.
    "You know what these trees and old people have in common? They're both going in the ground soon!" - Bam Margera

"The day the New York Times defines what Country Music is will be the day I shave my legs with a butter knife." - John Rich, of the country band Big and Rich

I'll be 15 on Feb. 18th, so buy me a drink! (Hint: Don't look at it as the decimal number. <smirks>)

Why do they teach steering position at 5 and 7 when it should be 10 and 2,the other way is absolutely absurb.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I drive with hands on 12 and Coke lol
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Ok yeah the US census says 294,800,000 roughly.. they have some kinda population clock going there so yes #s are a little off but still viable as a reference start. plus I rounded up on my calculations.

Quote Originally Posted by charged
    Why do they teach steering position at 5 and 7 when it should be 10 and 2,the other way is absolutely absurb.

From what I remember when I took my High School driver training, when the airbags explode your hands won't get burned from the escaping gases. It also allows for the push and pull method, your hands are on the steering wheel more and they won't ever cross over each other and tie your hands up in an emergancy turn.
    "You know what these trees and old people have in common? They're both going in the ground soon!" - Bam Margera

"The day the New York Times defines what Country Music is will be the day I shave my legs with a butter knife." - John Rich, of the country band Big and Rich

I'll be 15 on Feb. 18th, so buy me a drink! (Hint: Don't look at it as the decimal number. <smirks>)

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeNitroBIRM
    From what I remember when I took my High School driver training, when the airbags explode your hands won't get burned from the escaping gases. It also allows for the push and pull method, your hands are on the steering wheel more and they won't ever cross over each other and tie your hands up in an emergancy turn.
    "10-2 position.

This gives you perfect body balance within the car, maximum leverage on the wheel and still plenty more arm travel in either direction should it be necessary."

Advice from Ride Drive, advanced driver training by Britain's police traffic patrol officers.

Re: Airbag burns - You'd generally have more to worry about than some slight burns if they were deployed.
    Thanks for all the fish

so big.

We mostly use them to haul stuff behind them, but everyone is trading them in for smaller, lighter cars that get better gas mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by deadly-phoenix
    We mostly use them to haul stuff behind them, but everyone is trading them in for smaller, lighter cars that get better gas mileage.
    dude this thread is 2 years old. Please stop
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Why the hell would you dig up a two year old thread, to say something so generic? Words cant describe that kind of stupidity.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE
    Why the hell would you dig up a two year old thread, to say something so generic? Words cant describe that kind of stupidity.
    Don't forget that the forums refreshes its membership on a continuous basis. New members may have to say something useful to old threads. Not that it is the case here, but in general digging out old threads in itself should not be a priori condemned.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeNitroBIRM
    I just thought about leg room, I can't hold my steering wheel at 5-and-7 (I'm referring to the steering wheel like a clock for those who can't tell) like most driving schools recommend. My knuckles hit my kneecaps, so I do the old style 2-and-10 or a 3-and-9. Kind of annoying because I found that 5-and-7 were quite comfortable while driving for a long time, I could do it in the Ranger, but since I've gotten my 200SX, I can't anymore.
    [haha henk4 - funny one]

in Australia NSW, we use 10-2 hand positioning, I use 5-7 when im lazy on long roads but the law encourages 10-2. I also use hand-over-hand, I find this is the smoothest driving technique. do you know whether the change to 5-7 in the US was due to insurance claims?
    There are only two possible explanations: either no one told me, or no one knows.

Quote Originally Posted by deadly-phoenix
    what exactly does [or did] every 2nd American need to haul?

trading/fuel prices killing american car makers?
    Last edited by brum; 05-07-2006 at 04:22 AM.
    There are only two possible explanations: either no one told me, or no one knows.

Quote Originally Posted by brum
    [haha henk4 - funny one]

in Australia NSW, we use 10-2 hand positioning, I use 5-7 when im lazy on long roads but the law encourages 10-2. I also use hand-over-hand, I find this is the smoothest driving technique. do you know whether the change to 5-7 in the US was due to insurance claims?
    I like to use 9-3, If lazy 12
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Thread Information