18. You may not vote on this poll
  • bad

16 88.89%
  • good

2 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An idea

An idea

Do you think spending money on limiting production cars (electronically by computer chips) to 110 kilometers per hour (or whatever the speed limit is). Those in need of a speed burst because of emergencies or whatever can push a button on the steering wheel or press the accelerator twice in a row really quick, but doing so causes the computer chip to record the action and broadcast it to police offices or whatever (you get the idea dammit... )Besides the money, I do not see many cons to this idea, and it is quite simple as well. However, it still can not stop motorists from speeding on regular roads where the speed limit is around 60 kilometers per hour.

Of course, removal of the chip would be illegal.

EDIT: please give me some bad effects of implementing those rules.
    Last edited by d-quik; 11-17-2004 at 01:19 PM.
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

its illegal a little bit telling the chip to turn off but, yes and no. It can work both ways
    There is 3 people on a boat with loads of children running around it, the 3 people are: 1. Bob geldof, 2. Ozzy Osbourne, and 3. Micheal jackson, they're sailing out for the G8 live aid, they've hit a rock and they're sinking, bob says: "save the children!" ozzy says: "Fuc the children!"

Micheal says "have we got time?"

who ever come out with this idea needs to get shot, if they do this
    I am taking mine out I don't care it is illegal,,,,,
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Why not take ALL the fun out of driving. We could put a cap on how much power a car can have or let the insurance companies surcharge for horsepower. We could all drive Prius' or Renault Meganes.

Much better to govern speed through education and stricter licensing. IMHO.

I think it's a bad idea. People would consider that a big brother kind of intrusion, specially in first world countries. The police wouldn't like it very much either since speeding tickets make up a good chunk of their anual budgets. And lastly, it would kill the the sales of sports cars where ever it was implemented.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Living in the land of recent no speed limits, not only is this a bad idea, but I don't think car companies or the police would go for it.

Police would have to get new equipment to do the monitoring and there would be a large investment by car companies too.

And just because it notified police that you broke the speed limit, I know here the nearest officer could be 50 miles away, there is no way to use it for enforcement. I don't see how that would be different in an urban environment either, there are just too many cars.

The only way that something like this would work is if the chip disabled the car until the cop gave you the ticket. I don't think that will ever happen.

SM

Why even make it possible for it to be disabled if it's going to notify the police as soon as you break the law? People are already winning lawsuits against traffic cameras. This would be even worse...
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by NoOne
    We could all drive Prius's...
    I think Karmann would love that...

Thing is that it probably wont bother me, most of my cars that will either br modified by me and therefore wont have all this technical stuff down there.

Whatever i dont agree with haing it
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by 2002GTI
    The only way that something like this would work is if the chip disabled the car until the cop gave you the ticket. I don't think that will ever happen.
    It can...in 2050 maybe...

In the UK they floated the idea that all cars woudl have GPS fitted so they could know ther location and speed limit signs woudl transmitt signla and location information to tell the vehicle to slow down.

The biker groups pointed out to them that when a bike is lent over going round a corner that rolling the throttle off will cause the bike to drop and the rider to fall off. it was pointed out that any glitch which caused a signal to be sent/received/interpreted at the wrong time or any change of speed on a corner woudl lead to motorbike accidents and possible fatalities.

That got the lawyers sniffing and I think the idea is permanently shelved ( until the bar stewards ban motorbikes )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

You know what guys fine, I am leaving ultimatecarpage.com FOREVER you will never see me again.
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

Quote Originally Posted by d-quik
    You know what guys fine, I am leaving ultimatecarpage.com FOREVER you will never see me again.
    ok?
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    ok?
    Same here...

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    In the UK they floated the idea that all cars would have GPS fitted so they could know there location and speed limit signs and would transmit signals and location information to tell the vehicle to slow down.

The biker groups pointed out to them that when a bike is lent over going round a corner that rolling the throttle off will cause the bike to drop and the rider to fall off. it was pointed out that any glitch which caused a signal to be sent/received/interpreted at the wrong time or any change of speed on a corner would lead to motorbike accidents and possible fatalities.

That got the lawyers sniffing and I think the idea is permanently shelved ( until the bar stewards ban motorbikes )
    Even here in U.A.E. they thought of doing the same thing, execpt it wouldn't be on bikes and there would be a mini camera with each car. It came a very long time ago so I can't remember very well. There would be this microphone or something so that when the car crashed, it would be automatically activated and connected to the police station. The police would then try to speak to the victim. If there was no response, an ambulence would be sent.

Oh, and Matra, check your spellings!

Thread Information