Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which supercar is the safest at high speed crashing?

Which supercar is the safest at high speed crashing?

Does anyone know or think they know what supercar is the most safe to be in when crashing at speeds over...lets say 190mph and up?

My quess would be either the Porsche GT, McClaren F1, or the Ferrari Enzo
    and i only said those because of the amount of carbon fiber used in them
    but i could be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by werty
    Does anyone know or think they know what supercar is the most safe to be in when crashing at speeds over...lets say 190mph and up?

My quess would be either the Porsche GT, McClaren F1, or the Ferrari Enzo
    and i only said those because of the amount of carbon fiber used in them
    but i could be wrong
    Over that speed, you're dead no matter what. And Volvo hasn't made a supercar yet.
    Stickers add horsepower. I promise.

Doza is right. At that speed you're dead meat anyways! Why do you think there are still fatal accidents in motorsports? Race cars are designed to go fast and be as safe as possible at the same time...but still...
    Last edited by byronleehk; 02-24-2004 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by byronleehk
    Doza is right. At that speed you're dead meat anyways! Why do you think there are still fatal accidents in motorsports? Race cars are designed to go fast and be as safe as possible at the same time...but still...
    i know what your thinking, but most supercars are designed to withstand crashes at their top speeds
    i read in a Car and Driver magazine that the carbon fiber of the McClaren F1 and its "superior design" saved the driver when he hit the wall head on at over 200mph when he suddenly lost control of the vehicle
    i just wanted to know if anyone knew if their is supercar that is safer than most others for high speeds

i know what your thinking, but most supercars are designed to withstand crashes at their top speeds
    i read in a Car and Driver magazine that the carbon fiber of the McClaren F1 and its "superior design" saved the driver when he hit the wall head on at over 200mph when he suddenly lost control of the vehicle
    i just wanted to know if anyone knew if their is supercar that is safer than most others for high speeds

Kenworth Pilgrimage Super Dominator

Quote Originally Posted by Poseur's SUV GUIDE
    - The ultimate SUV- Adds extra high roof/cathedral ceilings, power expandable sides, full lavatory, four cell-phones, white leather interior with lambswool carpets, TV/VCR/Nintendo 64, Sony DSS satellite, beer cooler (go ahead, drive drunk, nothing's gonna kill you in this thing!), and a permanent cellular link to the internet.
    Stickers add horsepower. I promise.

Maybe if you get a giant airbag and put some wheels on it you can resist 300mph +

Just kidding, I have no idea, Wish I could help you.

the SLR McLaren crahed into a VW golf and totaled it, but the SLR hadn't even barely a scratch.
    Wenn Sie wissen wollen, was einen volkswagen ein volkswagen macht, treibt es.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobile_Turbo
    the SLR McLaren crahed into a VW golf and totaled it, but the SLR hadn't even barely a scratch.
    do you have a pic of it?

here you go

my pic would be the SLR mclaren or the mclaren F1
    SLR mclaren because it has Mercedes DNA and it probably has the strongest of monocoques out of all the supercars.
    the Mclaren F1 is said to be able to be in a 35mph accident and still drive away.
    1977 Mercedes-benz 240D 4-speed with 500k miles

This really depends on the car, and the type of accident.

The McLaren crash was at 300km/h, but it was actually a rear-end collision. The F1's ingenious oversized integrated muffler chamber and crumple zone was largely to thank for the safety of the driver. I don't know if I'd be so trustful about a head-on at 250+

Anyway, lately I've heard great things safety-wise about both the Pagani Zonda and especially the Koenigsegg CC. I'd feel pretty safe in the SLR, though. Carbon fibre and its hideously overweight

This really depends on the car, and the type of accident. The McLaren crash was at 300km/h, but it was actually a rear-end collision. The F1's ingenious oversized integrated muffler chamber and crumple zone was largely to thank for the safety of the driver. I don't know if I'd be so trustful about a head-on at 250+
    Anyway, lately I've heard great things safety-wise about both the Pagani Zonda and especially the Koenigsegg CC. I'd feel pretty safe in the SLR, though. Carbon fibre and its hideously overweight
    Naturally. Anything the Swedes make must be able to hit an elk at any speed and be able to withstand it. But what about the poor old elk?

How about a Renault supercar? That must be safe. Pretty much every single Renault has got a 5 star in crash testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobile_Turbo
    really???? where you get that? because the slr mclaren is not out yet isnt it?? i thought only 1 is built so far

Zonda and SLR-for the carbon fibre body

the one with the best driver at the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by SL500
    Zonda and SLR-for the carbon fibre body
    It's not correct to assume that C/F means stronger.
    To a designer it means lighter.
    It takes less weight to make a monocoque of equal strength in C/F over other materials.
    So this thread is irrelevant as none of us know what design limits the team had in coming up with the structure shape, defomrable zones and materials.
    I would uspect that they will all probably behave equally well as the design brief is probably common and known among the top designers

Thread Information