Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Best handling Classic car

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    And it doesn't necessarily mean worse, correct?
    No it doesn't.

But as someone said (most) american cars weren't built to handle because it wasn't a requirement in the same way that (most) european cars weren't built with big engines because it wasn't a requirement.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Besides, ask people which of those cars handle better and almost everyone would say the Opel.
    The ignorance of others is no defence
    Most would assume that the sleek Opel GT body would have decent suspension and engine. In reality it was a marketing creation to fill a gap using bits of cars in production.
    The only comparable part with it and a Corvette ( which clearly influenced the styling ) was that engineers in both companies believed that transverse leaf springs were a good idea !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    No it doesn't.

But as someone said (most) american cars weren't built to handle because it wasn't a requirement in the same way that (most) european cars weren't built with big engines because it wasn't a requirement.
    That is very true. I am glad we agree.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    The ignorance of others is no defence
    Most would assume that the sleek Opel GT body would have decent suspension and engine. In reality it was a marketing creation to fill a gap using bits of cars in production.
    The only comparable part with it and a Corvette ( which clearly influenced the styling ) was that engineers in both companies believed that transverse leaf springs were a good idea !!
    Yes, one would think that with its much lighter weight alone (about 2,500 lbs compared to 4,300 lbs) it would handle much better.

Don't know what years transverse leaf springs were used on Corvettes but that '70 'Vette did handle as well as the Porsche.

Yes, one would think that with its much lighter weight alone (about 2,500 lbs compared to 4,300 lbs) it would handle much better.
    Only if the person had no grasp of engineering.
    The Opel suspension was a 20 year old design !
    Don't know what years transverse leaf springs were used on Corvettes but that '70 'Vette did handle as well as the Porsche.
    Well they chose to use the 911E as the comparison rather than the S or erven the T model. The E had "innovative" self adjusting suspension which serious owners changed back over to standard.
    So we have a distinct possibility of a rigged-game here by the magazine

Only if the person had no grasp of engineering.
    The Opel suspension was a 20 year old design !

Well they chose to use the 911E as the comparison rather than the S or erven the T model. The E had "innovative" self adjusting suspension which serious owners changed back over to standard.
    So we have a distinct possibility of a rigged-game here by the magazine
    It is mentioned in the article that they chose the intermediate model for both test cars.

^ pffft.

That's like saying let's take the "intermediate" model of a Tata and a Ferrari and compare them

Especially if as in this case one of those intermediates was "improved" to make it less lary and "safer" for normal drivers !

Sorry, Fleet, we can't get away from the fact that they chose the worst handling 911 of the day -- as evidenced by most long term and serious owners swapping out the "self-adjusting" suspension and putting a real one back in.

Could you let me know what the above and below model specifics were for the 'vette ? Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by jaromull View Post
    On the other hand, Morris Mini itself was a box of dynamite and real delight to drive.
    Oh yeah - 37bhp, leaked like a sieve, drum brakes that wore out in 5,000 miles. A real myth. Now when you get on to Coopers and S's yes, because with 100bhp at the front wheels in those days, with crossply tyres, it WAS fun. But not the actual Mini though. Ever tried the original "magic wand" gearchange? Thought not - you could spend an hour finding the right gear.

haha the magic wand gearchange, hand motions like stirring soup iirc. 100hp at the front wheels? i thought they were more around 77hp at the crank (actually that was probably just the 1.3i model i have). currently rebuilding a clubman
    also, question for you lowdrag:
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    lowdrag, what exactly is an alexander conversion? do you have any pics/specs?
    i am currently looking at some sort of crossflow set up for my mini, like an Elder head (as nice as a twincam conversion is..too costly it seems)
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

There were several tuning shops in the day - Downton, Alexander and the other escapes me for the moment. By the time you had put on bigger SU's, ported the engine, changed the exhaust, added bigger valves, changed the pistons and compression ratio and so on you had about 100bhp even in the day. There are people who'll put a Rover K series in these days with around 180bhp too. Nicky Vorotzof (spelling?) was making them 15 years back like that.

ah ok, thanks for the info.
    for my clubman, i'm probably aiming for 100bhp - i figure if i cut the weight down a little that should be enough, and should keep costs down.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by lowdrag View Post
    There were several tuning shops in the day - Downton, Alexander and the other escapes me for the moment. By the time you had put on bigger SU's, ported the engine, changed the exhaust, added bigger valves, changed the pistons and compression ratio and so on you had about 100bhp even in the day. There are people who'll put a Rover K series in these days with around 180bhp too. Nicky Vorotzof (spelling?) was making them 15 years back like that.
    Chequered Flag?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

ah the horrors of the 850 gear change
    You can push them out to 140 AT THE WHEELS, but it starts to be a nightmare off cam and gulps fuel ... also it's a struggle to make the original suspension cope with the front wheel tramp.

Oh and when it lets go, it does spectacularly.
    We tuned our own rally cars -- following David Vizard's many suggestions -- and were getting 130 at the wheels. In tarmac stages we could go through a set of fronts many times over But the most memorable ( and expensive ) point was when a lightened conrod decided we'd lightened it too much and it let go mid-stage, max revs. A psiton came through the block and buried itself in the bulkhead and the head made a lovely shape in the ali bonnet

If you want to take it that far then a 70s mod was to squeeze the Ford engine in for 150bhp ( navigated foir that guy ! SCARY. He ended up bending the shell after a humpback bridge .... thankfully NOT an event I was partnering him on ) Modern option is to squeeze a Honda in there !!

^ pffft.

That's like saying let's take the "intermediate" model of a Tata and a Ferrari and compare them

Especially if as in this case one of those intermediates was "improved" to make it less lary and "safer" for normal drivers !

Sorry, Fleet, we can't get away from the fact that they chose the worst handling 911 of the day -- as evidenced by most long term and serious owners swapping out the "self-adjusting" suspension and putting a real one back in.

Could you let me know what the above and below model specifics were for the 'vette ? Cheers.
    Too easy! As for the 'Vette, the "below" model would be the lower horsepower version of the 350-cu-in V-8. The "above" model would be the 454-cu-in version.

As for the first part of your post, can you provide actual examples of why the test Porsche was not an intermediate model? And if not, what model would be? Same with the 'Vette. I gave my answer; now give yours... what 'Vette would have been the intermediate model if you think the test car was not?

ah the horrors of the 850 gear change
    You can push them out to 140 AT THE WHEELS, but it starts to be a nightmare off cam and gulps fuel ... also it's a struggle to make the original suspension cope with the front wheel tramp.

Oh and when it lets go, it does spectacularly.
    We tuned our own rally cars -- following David Vizard's many suggestions -- and were getting 130 at the wheels. In tarmac stages we could go through a set of fronts many times over But the most memorable ( and expensive ) point was when a lightened conrod decided we'd lightened it too much and it let go mid-stage, max revs. A psiton came through the block and buried itself in the bulkhead and the head made a lovely shape in the ali bonnet

If you want to take it that far then a 70s mod was to squeeze the Ford engine in for 150bhp ( navigated foir that guy ! SCARY. He ended up bending the shell after a humpback bridge .... thankfully NOT an event I was partnering him on ) Modern option is to squeeze a Honda in there !!
    Ah how the world has moved on since my Mini days! However, I was talking to someone the other day who reckons he can get over 400 bhp out of my D type engine.....

Thread Information