View Poll Results: American Domestics VS Imports

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • American Domestics

16 25.40%
  • Imports(all other cars around the world)

47 74.60%
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Domestic Vs Imports

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Not sure as I can't find the info
    But the tongue-in-cheek point I was making was that the car was towing a likely 1 1/2 times it's own weight So that would mean you towing 7500 lbs or thereabouts
    It's valued as an excellent piece of engineering. There was a US TV show covered it a few yeas back going over the history of the racer ADN The transporter.

Mine are organised around the Matra and Alpine collections. So finding the "other" stuff sucks
    The 7500 lbs towing... is that in stock condition?

I've got most of my Cadillac stuff in one place (not all) with other things in a general area. It could still use organizing... I'll get to it someday.
    Last edited by Fleet 500; 12-18-2005 at 11:23 PM.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500
    The 7500 lbs towing... is that in stock condition?
    The suspension was stock, but I can't remember if it had a J-hook or "normal" ball hitch - which is fairly fundamental on twoing for normal cars but less so on self-levelling.. The engine was a tuned stock engine the same as in the race car IIRC !!!!

BUT, without the article, it's conjecture on my part that it's 1 1/2 times. I'm guestimating that the race car won't be hevaily lightened or that the trailer can be THAT light by virtue of the full hydromatic suspension, pumps and valves.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Turbonutter55
    Think about it. Name any American car (excluding classics) and I'll give you an import, probably Euro, probably British, that beats it hands down. FOr starters:
    Pure Off-roader: Hummer H1 beaten by Land Rover Defender 90
    Retro Hatch: PT beaten by Mini Cooper
    Executive Sedan: Chrysler 300C beaten by new Merc E-class, Audi A6, I could go on...
    Big-luxury sedan: Cadillac DeVille beaten by Jag XJ, merc S-class, etc. etc.
    Muscle-car: Ford Mustang beaten by Vauxhall Monaro
    Supercar: Saleen S7 beaten by Carrera GT, McLaren F1, Enzo, Zonda, Koenigsegg, etc.

Hummer H1.....overgrown Yukon with a Borg Warner(Ford) tcase....beaten by a Land Rover....yep thats a Ford beating a Ford equipped Chevy
    PT...a fine example of a Neon wagon....now lets see the Mini smoke an SRT4 in the quarter? and besides Chrysler is in bed with BMW on these cars...
    Chrysler 300C vs DaimlerChrysler made Merc E-class....well if the E lost then how would Chrysler justify the cost?
    Caddy getting smoked by a Ford product...and a Chrysler product...I believe it caddies are junk

get the idea here? it really is of no importance anymore what the manufacturer is.....you seen the Subaru built Saabs? and you open the door on a 2005 Subaru and look at the manufacturer plate...it says Izuzu....everyone is in bed with each other in the car world....Toyota powered Lotus?....the real question is how long can BMW hold out? ohh never mind...they already have shared with other manufacturers....

It's not made for that.
    Just like a Citroen is not made for carrying 9 people and their luggage or towing a 6,000-lb trailer.
    where the chances that you will have to use a car for the first option are indefinetely greater than for the second.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

One of the last things a U.S. driver has to worry about is someone shooting out their tires.
    you mean there will be a nationwide ban on (hand)guns very soon?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

by the way Fleet, I still have not seen you justifying your claim that any American praising Citroens must have bad taste

Taste is something personal as you no doubt are aware of. I have so far refrained from stating my personal view on the big american cars but maybe it is sufficient just to note that in Europe there is a lively scene of people adoring these cars. However I never fail to notice that many of those people try also to look like Americans, and especially like the cliche Americans that you see driving Harley Davidsons, so that means big hats, whiskers, sleeveless T-shirts, much jewelry (probably cheap but I am not an expert), McDonalds type bellies etc. The word that mostly springs to mind is: Vulgar, or lack of class. In other words, I personally would not like to be seen in such a car, as I would be associated with a group of people I PERSONALLY don't want to belong to.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    where the chances that you will have to use a car for the first option are indefinetely greater than for the second.
    Actually, I have carried over 6 people in my limo quite a few times...
    -To the annual company Christmas party.
    -To the annual company picnic.
    -Taking the family out to dinner.
    -Taking more than the usual amount of co-workers to the bus or to home.

And as far as driving through curves fast enough so as to not hold up traffic, I've never had to pull over and let cars go by while driving on the twisty Big Tujunga Canyon road. The big limo can go fast enough to keep up with the other cars.

you mean there will be a nationwide ban on (hand)guns very soon?
    No, I mean the chance of getting hit by lightning is more than the chance of someone shooting out your tires.
    A ban on (hand)guns would be unconstitutional.

by the way Fleet, I still have not seen you justifying your claim that any American praising Citroens must have bad taste
    Relax, I was just kidding.

Relax, I was just kidding.
    not when you made the post, I looked in vain for a smiley. I assume that you use your limo to take more than 5 passengers. However I was pointing at the number of occasions that you have 9 people on board, with full luggage and towing a 5000 lb whatever.

not when you made the post, I looked in vain for a smiley. I assume that you use your limo to take more than 5 passengers. However I was pointing at the number of occasions that you have 9 people on board, with full luggage and towing a 5000 lb whatever.
    I don't like to overuse smilies. They have more of an effect when they are used when it really matters.

The main purpose of limos and those who bought them were:
    - An executive or CEO of a company, to be chauffeured around in.
    - Funeral homes to carry family members to the cemetery.

For the executive, especially, they came in handy... rear compartment a/c and heater (separate from the front), rear radio controls, power-operated glass partition window, footrests and some had telephones installed so the owner could conduct business while traveling. The very long wheelbase also meant that he could do business and even write with minimal disturbance.

I don't like to overuse smilies. They have more of an effect when they are used when it really matters.

The main purpose of limos and those who bought them were:
    - An executive or CEO of a company, to be chauffeured around in.
    - Funeral homes to carry family members to the cemetery.

For the executive, especially, they came in handy... rear compartment a/c and heater (separate from the front), rear radio controls, power-operated glass partition window, footrests and some had telephones installed so the owner could conduct business while traveling. The very long wheelbase also meant that he could do business and even write with minimal disturbance.
    A executive function does not require nine seats. I don't suppose they held board meetings in there.
    For such a function the Citroen CX Prestige was rather popular among European executives.

For funerals we use lengthened 6 door Mercedes E or S class cars.

However I never fail to notice that many of those people try also to look like Americans, and especially like the cliche Americans that you see driving Harley Davidsons, so that means big hats, whiskers, sleeveless T-shirts, much jewelry (probably cheap but I am not an expert), McDonalds type bellies etc. The word that mostly springs to mind is: Vulgar, or lack of class. In other words, I personally would not like to be seen in such a car, as I would be associated with a group of people I PERSONALLY don't want to belong to.
    You forgot LINE DANCING, Country and Western music and walking like John Wayne
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

A executive function does not require nine seats. I don't suppose they held board meetings in there.
    For such a function the Citroen CX Prestige was rather popular among European executives.

For funerals we use lengthened 6 door Mercedes E or S class cars.
    The jump seats folded out of the way; they were for occassional use but came in handy when taking out clients to lunch or dinner or, in the case of funeral homes, taking relatives to the cemetery. The photo below shows the rear compartment of my limo with one of the two jump seats in the folded-out position.

And you can bet there were some board meetings held in limos, after all, why not?
    Attached Images Attached Images

The jump seats folded out of the way; they were for occassional use but came in handy when taking out clients to lunch or dinner or, in the case of funeral homes, taking relatives to the cemetery. The photo below shows the rear compartment of my limo with one of the two jump seats in the folded-out position.
    now tell me how you are able to safely accomodate 9 people in there? I presume you will take 3 on the front bench, (are there safety belts?) two on these jump seats and three again on the rear bench. (again: seatbelts?)

Is there another bench hidden somewhere?

Thread Information