Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
The problem in comparing flight RM, is that planes have 3 and more fail safe duplicated systems to make them "safe".

Could you imagine the performance of an F1 car if it had to have 3 wishbones, 2 springs, etc etc etc.
I don't see how is it different from the adjustable front flap now that they already have. Or all the pre-requisite structural testing that all the parts that have to be passed anyway.

If there is no fail-safe for Porsche's depolyable rear spoiler, If it fails to deploy on a road car at speed, I'd think the 1st Gen Audi TT like accident is very likely for that car, especially at 170mph on Autobahn.

In terms of safety and liability stand point, I'd much more worry about that than F1 drivers on the track when they are knowingly involved in a sports that they have high level of skill for, rather than a Joe-Schumo driving his 911 on the highway thinking his car is perfectly suitable to do that kind of speed.

Besides, if you are worry about redundancy or that kind of issue for potentially dangerous system on the car, F1 also have throttle by wire and electronically controlled diff, what if those thing were to fail in the manner of Toyota's whole throttle thing? Thats no more or less risky or dangerous than adjustable aero.

Out dated thinking I think....